Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old October 22, 2015   #16
jillian
Tomatovillian™

So I am wondering if there is a huge difference in "coarse" and "super coarse" perlite. I will need quite a bit of it and found this online, seems like very good price but am wondering if it is a good product? Have never ordered from this company:

https://www.growerssupply.com/farm/s...=GrowersSupply

12.95 4 cu. ft horticultural coarse perlite

Anyone?
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2015   #17
Phalanx130
Tomatovillian™

Jillian,
If shipping is really high for the perlite you might want to check your local Southern State store. I happened to find my local store was selling 4 cubic ft for $22. They also had vermiculite.
Phalanx130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2015   #18
AdrianaG
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Generally speaking, perlite holds air and vermiculite holds water.

The caveat is that each product comes in different granular sizes. The coarser the grain, the more air it will hold.

Don't breathe the dust from either one.
Cole Robbie is correct, I had a small scale commercial hydroponic greenhouse growing greens and herbs primarily in perlite. Vermiculite would have drowned the roots. That said, perlite is a PITA, it is guaranteed to spill everywhere, mark my words.

Last edited by AdrianaG; October 23, 2015 at 11:40 AM.
AdrianaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2015   #19
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianaG View Post
Cole Robie is correct, I had a small scale commercial hydroponic greenhouse growing greens and herbs primarily in perlite. Vermiculite would have drowned the roots. That said, perlite is a PITA, it is guaranteed to spill everywhere, mark my words.
I'm currently growing only in vermiculite and have not had any issues with drowning roots..?
Zenbaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2016   #20
braybright

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
You can wet down your perlite and vermiculite before mixing with your other components. it doesn't stick together and its way less messy/dusty/breathable when wet
KarenO
That is great advice!
Old March 7, 2016   #21
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

I made a choice to stop using perlite and use rice hulls instead, but it can be a bit expensive to order.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote