Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old May 20, 2012   #16
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Great job Naysen!

I like the way you kept the EarthTainers off the hot concrete with the wire racks in between.

Although, the seedlings you elected to plant look pretty sad - - so let's see if the perk up in a week or so. Be sure to top water each plant with about a pint of water every 2 or 3 days until they take root.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2012   #17
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Ray. Yes, I'll be top-watering with a bit of my recently acquired Technaflora seaweed extract. I'm hopeful that these hard-off seedlings can turn around for me, and if it sets them back in their harvest cycle by a month or two, I can live with that. In fact, it might even be a good thing in the interest of extending my harvest sweet spot.
-naysen
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2012   #18
POAJoan
Tomatovillian™

Last year we made 5-30 gallon, 7-18 gallon, and 5-5 gallon buckets. All worked very well. This year we wanted to make some more and a couple of friends also wanted to make some. Long story short, we made 8-30 gallon, 14-18 gallon, and 6-5 gallon buckets.
We decided to try and speed things up and made a simple jig for my tabletop table saw. It only took 45 minutes to cut the inner bins for all of them. We had already made an template for drilling the holes and the grandsons made short work of it. With one supervisor- me-a 12 and 14 year old, and one able bodied person LOL, we were able to finish them completely in 5 hours.
Now we get to plant them. These last 10 days have been beautiful out into the eighties, but now we're going to be at 57 for Friday and Saturday. I guess we will be filling them in the greenhouse and then transporting them outside. At least it is not forecast for freezing weather at any time in the future.
My daughter summed it up the other day: as long as we have lived here this has been the first time that she can remember (for about 30 years) that we did not have a SEASONAL CONFUSION about Spring. Hopefully she did not speak too soon!
Joan

Last edited by POAJoan; May 21, 2012 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Misspelling
POAJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2012   #19
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Joan, well done with the assembly line approach (and child/slave labor) to get so much accomplished and built in so little time. My kid is still <1 yr., so he has a while yet before I can abuse him or he I by causing havoc with a drill bit.

Best luck with the unusually SEASONAL season.
-naysen
Old May 22, 2012   #20
Mlm1
Tomatovillian™

Very interesting earthTainer information.

Naysen your setup looks amazing. Great job. I'll look forward to seeing your garden pictures. I'll have to look at the earthtainers a little more closely. I see some empty spots on my deck.

Marla
Mlm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012   #21
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Marla. There is definitely something satisfying about the EarthTainers -- nice, compact, efficient growing machines. For me, it's important to also have that main garden area where everything is more of a jungle and wild (as tamed as I can make it, but nonetheless wild), but these EarthTainers add some civilization to my garden...and they're quite easy to keep up as well as accessible, making them a great way to keep a close "relationship" with the plants.
Cheerio-
-naysen

Oh, BTW, I'm sure you must recognize the plants in pics 5-7 as the six dwarfs you donated me a while back. So far, so good...