Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 5, 2015   #16
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the input Salix,

Belyi naliv, monomakh's hat , beaver Lodge are all awesome for me as well ...and I discovered them mostly by fluke !

Are you in that part of central interior that is a horticultural blessed 3b/4a ? As compared with that part that is a most other decidedly 2a and cool summer as well (North or south of the blessed climate zone).

oh yes to confirm to the extra month to 5 weeks here as well ...if we only had a crystal ball
to capture the real potential of this season.......as a record breaking year ...it was sort of unimaginable ...so hard to prepare for something we never had to before.

I kind of liken some of ones Tomato choices to a bag of Golf clubs that one has to negotiate the seasonal course / environment .

The Golf bag has drivers, woods, sand wedges, putters , irons .

If the course calls for it one would never putt with a driver ....and it is certainly possible to play the whole course with the wedge only and get through "OK" but not outstanding.

....BUT what if the course opens up/changes and you only brought putters and sand wedges in your bag !? You really should have had at least a couple of irons and a driver ready in the bag to prepare for the variation of the course ....or seasonal climate variation.

I think I was playing the cool climate game to much and was caught in this record season change ...with out a long range driver (late season / full sun Toms)....geese.

Blackberry Tomato is that what you mean ???? or just "Blackberry" the August abundance of the coast .

Not to be confused with "Secure Blackberry" as opposed to the Android systems ....ha ha ha

so Blackberry Tomato and Carbon copy are cherry Toms????

I have grown "Brown berry tomato" it was really good ...just a bit later than my usual ones.

yes Campbell river has changed ...we are experiencing both growth and aging population... I think it still is quite an ideal location ...but I agree about more pastoral times and quality of life the way it used to be ....
Does one have to go to Sointula to get that sort of pastoral peace now?

Last edited by BlackBear; June 5, 2015 at 08:27 PM. Reason: did not refer to salix in response
BlackBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2015   #17
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I have one plant in the garden labelled "Blackberry Jewels of Odiorne." It's new to me.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015   #18
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I have one plant in the garden labelled "Blackberry Jewels of Odiorne." It's new to me.
Woooaaaa where do you people find these ones. ???.........

holleeeeeee

ha ha ha

What type is that new one ? etc.
Old June 6, 2015   #19
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

I really like Siletz and Beaver Lodge for early varieties. They've earned a spot in my garden every year. Moskavich has been tried twice and not made the cut. It was not as early as claimed and not very productive or tasty.
marc_groleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015   #20
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Yes, taste is not the only reason to grow tomatoes - it's the whole experience and work ethics aspect as well not to forget the exotic looks! ah the shock on people's faces when I hand them some black or blue tomatoes...

But if the taste is not worth the effort, I might as well stick with the supermarket varieties... local summer greenhouse produce tastes quite good up from June onwards... I want my homegrown ones to surpass them in the flavor department.

The Sungold foliage does indeed divide people, others can smell the difference while for some it is just a strong tomato scent...my parents are divided in this But they both liked the fruit.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015   #21
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc_groleau View Post
I really like Siletz and Beaver Lodge for early varieties. They've earned a spot in my garden every year. Moskavich has been tried twice and not made the cut. It was not as early as claimed and not very productive or tasty.
I think Moskavich is in the last chance for me..... 2nd trial and

it comes highly recommended by many in the pacific north west ....but I have not had luck with it so far compared to my other regulars .....but I usually try some a few times ...to try and see what all the good reviews are about .
Old June 6, 2015   #22
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Yes, taste is not the only reason to grow tomatoes - it's the whole experience and work ethics aspect as well not to forget the exotic looks! ah the shock on people's faces when I hand them some black or blue tomatoes...

But if the taste is not worth the effort, I might as well stick with the supermarket varieties... local summer greenhouse produce tastes quite good up from June onwards... I want my homegrown ones to surpass them in the flavor department.

The Sungold foliage does indeed divide people, others can smell the difference while for some it is just a strong tomato scent...my parents are divided in this But they both liked the fruit.
of course it is the flavour and freshness of a heirloom garden Tomato......

That's why we do it .

Here in north America ...there is still even GMO supermarket produce ?? (hard to tell sometimes due to obtuse labelling allowed ) so I would not go to all the garden trouble if I just wanted a perfect pretty looking GMO tomato .

I also think about if I can get this particular tomato variety reasonably to a good return crop .....consistently with out me being a "Tomato professor" ....

I look at seedling response in cool garage settings (not safe commercial settings).

I am also looking at a plain factor of if black bear the peasant gardener can get good results
from the garden efforts . Is this sort of a garden survival factor built in ?

I also try and get the best flavour as well.