Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 11, 2015   #16
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Those who hav grown it: what was it you did / didn't like in the taste? Compared to Ildi for example, or SunGold... was it too tart?
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2015   #17
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Those who hav grown it: what was it you did / didn't like in the taste? Compared to Ildi for example, or SunGold... was it too tart?
I'll answer that one from my perspective since I've grown Sungold F1 a lot and also Ildi as well.

I love Sungold, I do, and it has a very high Brix level ( that's a meaure of soluble sugars), so is quite sweet. Ildi I grew as one of the first multiflora ones I ever grew, but I don't remember the taste as being anything special.

I think if anyone has grown Galina's Yellow they might recognize that Dr. Carolyn had inherited some of those genes, all to say that IMO Dr. Carolyn is not sweet, it is not tart, it has a complex flavor profile that tastes more like a tomato, if that makes sense to anyone.

Carolyn
Old June 11, 2015   #18
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Yes.. I try to learn what a 'tomato taste' is That propbably varies from person to person... Varieties are being described as fruity, tropical, buttery and what not... one might be tempted to think that the topic is wine and grapes!

Last year I had Coyote and the first reaction was 'blech', the taste was like used dishwater (not that I have ever drunk any..)... But the consequent mature fruits were good, and I detected the 'mushroomy' flavor. So I have had some complex taste experiences and might like Dr. Carolyn
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2015   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Yes.. I try to learn what a 'tomato taste' is That propbably varies from person to person... Varieties are being described as fruity, tropical, buttery and what not... one might be tempted to think that the topic is wine and grapes!

Last year I had Coyote and the first reaction was 'blech', the taste was like used dishwater (not that I have ever drunk any..)... But the consequent mature fruits were good, and I detected the 'mushroomy' flavor. So I have had some complex taste experiences and might like Dr. Carolyn
I had some clam chowder once that tasted like used dishwater.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2015   #20
TressJ
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the responses it helps a lot. In the end I didn't buy it because I got these looks from the DH here's some pics of him - Really, he supports my obsession and helps me tremendously, but I do get interesting looks sometimes
Old June 12, 2015   #21
wormgirl
Tomatovillian™

Still, super cool that it was in the nursery! I would not have expected to see that.
Old June 12, 2015   #22
TressJ
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormgirl View Post
Still, super cool that it was in the nursery! I would not have expected to see that.
That's what I thought!
Old June 12, 2015   #23
TressJ
Tomatovillian™

And, Carolyn you are a STAR! A superstar in the tomato world if you will, thanks for all of your tomato knowledge you share. You're so experienced, helpful and kind to help us all through this tomato jungle we all love as you do. Many thanks and appreciation for you, your thoughts and support!