Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 22, 2019   #16
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I finally trialed BB in 2018. Compared to heirlooms, I was not impressed.

Fairly large, uniform, blemish free, but not very meaty, and flavor was just acceptable (a "7") for fresh eating by itself. SOTW, right beside it was a 9+++, and was more productive. When the season was at it's end, BB was still there with its disease resistance, but at this time almost all tomatoes of all varieties start tasting "skunky".

I'm glad I trialed it, because if this is the best that an F1 offers in a large tomato, I'll pass on trialing any of the other large hybrids. And, I'm not against all hybrids, as SunGold is still tops in all cherries, F1 and OP, to this discriminating palate.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2019   #17
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Wow, I get really curiois about that famous SOTW now. I tend to keep my red varieties to the minimum, given all the other beautiful and delicious options... but Mom gets at least one red variety every year
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2019   #18
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Wow, I get really curiois about that famous SOTW now. I tend to keep my red varieties to the minimum, given all the other beautiful and delicious options... but Mom gets at least one red variety every year

Stump Of The World is a pink (clear skin). Tomatoes in Finland likely will not always taste like tomatoes from other places. Who knows what SOTW will taste like in the far north (unless you try it)?

The one variety I highly recommend, if I remembered to send it to you, is Pervaya Lyubov. I had tomatoes in 85 days from sowing (it spent 28 days in a small container, then 57 days after the transplant to the first ripe one). By far the best sub-60 DTM tomato I've ever trialed (not including the cherry SunGold). I was simply shocked that a large tomato could be that early and taste that good. However, it's not, to me, in the truly elite class like SOTW.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2019   #19
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I like pink tomatoes - my favorite. Don't know how flavor would be in other places as I have only grown tomatoes here - but I have come across a few that were quite delicious.
Tomatoes do not look at the map, they need sunshine and warmth no matter the latitudes

In general, I am not crazy about so called early ones: usually they aren't any earlier than others and their flavor has left a lot to be desired. (Sophie's Choice, Scoresby Dwarf etc..)
The only exception is Pearly Pink Orange: I have grown it for several years and it really stood out.
Old April 22, 2019   #20
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Default Big Beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
I finally trialed BB in 2018. Compared to heirlooms, I was not impressed.

Fairly large, uniform, blemish free, but not very meaty, and flavor was just acceptable (a "7") for fresh eating by itself. SOTW, right beside it was a 9+++, and was more productive. When the season was at it's end, BB was still there with its disease resistance, but at this time almost all tomatoes of all varieties start tasting "skunky".

I'm glad I trialed it, because if this is the best that an F1 offers in a large tomato, I'll pass on trialing any of the other large hybrids. And, I'm not against all hybrids, as SunGold is still tops in all cherries, F1 and OP, to this discriminating palate.

I agree with Tormato on Big Beef & Stump of the World
Yak54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2019   #21
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Big Beef is one of the very best, and it's hard to go wrong with this one. It's one of the few hybrids that is mentioned here that practically everyone likes. It's such a reliable mainstay that many people consider it essential to their tomato garden. Me, and people in my area, like it so much that I'll plant a couple of hundred of them this year for fresh market sales.

Someone also mentioned Goliath, which is another fabulous tomato in my area. I planted about 500 of those last year and sold them to repeat customers, including restaurants and grocery stores, as fast as we could pick them. This year I hope to have 1,000.

In my area, Big Beef and Goliath are two gold standard tomatoes. I don't know anything about growing tomatoes in Montana, and some varieties are a hit in one climate and a dud in other climes. I'd certainly suggest that you try Big Beef, and plant at least 3 to give it a fair chance. If you like them as much as I do, you'll wish you had planted more.

Good luck and keep us updated!
DS
Old April 27, 2019   #22
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It is up to your individual taste. If someone were to ask me about a good producing/tasting red slicer - I would recommend Big Beef any day.

However, I like PWR OP slicers much better...says the man who is growing only cherry tomatoes this year.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2019   #23
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

ALWAYS in my garden. Ridiculous producer.

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2019   #24
Johnniemar
Tomatovillian™

I love BB. in our garden it is very disease resistant and i think it tastes great.
Johnniemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2019   #25
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

IF you like Big Beef, U must try Thessaloniki...grows in trusses of 5 or 6 tomatoes. Blemish free, smooth RED color and intense old fashioned tomato taste. Prefer it over N.A.R and produces far better for me. At least in my climate. I grow 3 plants each season. I have plenty of seeds if anyone is interested!.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thessaloniki tomato.jpg (71.1 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by Gardenboy; May 3, 2019 at 12:17 PM.
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2019   #26
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Yes - I might be. Since it sounds like a tomato from Greece, my Dad would love it (an ardent lover for Greek/Greece..)
Old May 3, 2019   #27
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Another vote for Thessaloniki. It has a great balance of good taste, productivity, versatility, and disease resistance. I grow and gift many every season.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2019   #28
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I usually grow BigBeef for 'insurance' but this year I also grew Damsel for the first time.

It blew BB away in every category including making clones.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2019   #29
Ironwood
Tomatovillian™

Big Beef is great for the round red tomato people. Reliable plants. I have a few hundred going every year. Have about 400 in flats now. Will use some for live plant sales. Good tomatoes for a hybrid.

New for me F1 hybrid this year is Primo Red. Some of the Amish grow that one around here and they are monster tomatoes fairly blemish free, fast, and suprisingly tasty It will be interesting to see the results grown in my field. They flew for good coin at the auctions all last year. Red Deuce as well but seeds were out of stock so no trial this year.
Ironwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2019   #30
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
I usually grow BigBeef for 'insurance' but this year I also grew Damsel for the first time.
Hey Barb. Damsel looks really good, and it has collected many positive reviews. Thanks for pointing it out. Too bad that at 75 DTM I'd only get a couple of fruit from it here.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote