Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 9, 2007   #16
travis
Tomatovillian™

Hmmm ... 12-ounce curls seem to have done the trick just fine

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2007   #17
bizzarbazzar
Tomatovillian™

Welcome back Tom, I thought it said stripper as well and had to do a double take....I thought I missed something about a bachelor party ....

My tomato memory was "finally" having a yard (ok several yards) to be able to grow as many plants as I want. I fell in love many varieties and tasted my 1st real Brandywine. Another favorite was Mortgage Lifter (radiator charliestrain)

Another favorite tomato memory, has been meeting and sharing with many people on this site. I have met many wonderful people here, and am thrilled to be a part of the Tomatoville family....
bizzarbazzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2007   #18
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Thanks H ~ lol ~
I always forget how to spell it ~ ~

Fish on Papa ~

~ Tom

ps.
me ? chunky ... Dad ? Lean Cuisine ~ lol

pss.
http://www.tna-tackle.com/fishing%20contest.htm

when you find him ; let me know ~

psss.
dcarch - he did get a kick out of that pic ~
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2007   #19
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomstrees
me ? chunky ... Dad ? Lean Cuisine ~ lol
Are you still doing the vegetarian thing?

Welcome back!
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2007   #20
bizzarbazzar
Tomatovillian™

H...hehehehe

I want that guys Monkfish....badly, did you know that it tastes like lobster? YUMMM. You vegetarian now Tom? I don't do beef or pork...since I was 8....
Old January 9, 2007   #21
Bitwise Gamgee
Tomatovillian™

Kellog's Breakfast.

First time I grew it and it greatly exceeded my expectations. My most tasty tomato from last year!
Bitwise Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2007   #22
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

I didn't want to Trump this
thread more than we already have, lol ~
I added some pics to my "greece" thread in
convo section ~

Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2007   #23
bizzarbazzar
Tomatovillian™

Thank you! I will have to check it out....
Old January 10, 2007   #24
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

I had far more disappointments then
good but here they are....

Rose
Rostova
Bucks County

and obvious lack of pests. Basically nothing but 1-2 slugs, 2 tomato worms and some really really late white flies, that were non threatening.

CECIL
Old January 11, 2007   #25
Sorellina
Tomatovillian™

Ciao all,

You mean apart from Bully's crosses? We had TONS of oblate red cherries that were supposed to be Aunt Gertie's Gold (very yummy and Munchkin loved that these were deemed 'free choice' munchies), red saladettes that were supposed to be Galina's, and yellow beefsteaks that were supposed to be Earl's Faux. All were excellent and we had a lot of fun with them.

Of the things that were what they were meant to be, I'd say Berkeley Tie Dye, when it finally ripened was a show-stopper and WONDERFUL flavour, Grub's Mystery Green after the first couple of watery ones was a fantastic and extremely healthy tomato, and Orange Strawberry amazed me all summer with its dense flesh and burst of flavour.

I also had a great time sending Craig coin envelopes bursting at the seams with Happy seeds.
Old January 11, 2007   #26
Earl
Tomatovillian™

The CHOPTAG TASTE FEST was one. Got to meet up with old friends and meet a lot of new ones. On the homefront eating tried and true tomatoes and trying new ones such as Grub's Mystery Green, Green Giant, Novikov's Giant, Mountaineer Mystery, Kentucky Heirloom, Granny Cantrell's German Red, Anaras Noir, Puruvian Bush and Mexico Midget. And Mischka starting Tomatoville! :-)
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2007   #27
jenn_sc
SPLATT™ Coordinator

Tomatopalooza was my highlight of last summer :wink:

Jennifer
jenn_sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2007   #28
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

My highlights of summer 2006 were lowlights the way I saw it.

I can grow only about 15 plants now and as most of you know I have to rely on others to plant and water and weed and care for and harvest them, except for Sara's Galapagos which I always grow in a large pot where I can get to it with my walker; that is, at the base of the steps leading up to the wrap around deck.

And I had Kimberly in a pot nearby.

Horrible season, quite frankly and I'm not sure why.

I guess the highlight was being able to get lots of seeds from Sara's Galapagos and Mama Leone and a fair number of fruits from Aker's West Virginia and KBX ( a PL Kellogg's Breakfast).

You have no idea how getting such low fruit production bugged me b'c sheesh, I'm the only one eating the darn things since neither of my cat kids are so predisposed.

You know it was BAD when I bought some hybrid fruits at the produce stand I love so much for fresh veggies and fruit and which I can drive to during the summer.

On the upside that self same produce stand, which is quite large, also sells baked goods and cheeses and lots of other interesting goodies including fresh made gourmet type salads.

So maybe I should say that the highlight of the summer season was the pine nut/dried tomato/brown rice salad they sold.
Old January 12, 2007   #29
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

My first full season after removing myself from the daily grind and living in a new location was filled with triumphs and "issues" as the old working folks used to say instead of my word for it....problems. Starting over getting the dirt in shape is a real issue.

Triumphs include being closer to the Midwest Tomato Fest people and introducing heirloom tomatoes to people in the area who have never considered heirlooms. Because of my love of heirlooms and gardening in general, some people seem to think I know more than I do. I was asked to give heirloom tomato presentations several times in the summer and fall. The local newspaper has asked me to write a monthly gardening column (the first was published last week). A couple of local greenhouses will now sell heirloom tomatoes and several of my friends are asking me to grow tomato seedlings for them. We may have a trend toward heirloom tomatoes here in the mostly hybrid tomato growing area.
PaulF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2007   #30
obispo45
Tomatovillian™

I really think I need to get out fishing more this year... which inevitably leads to 12oz curls...LOl. At least I've essentially quit golfing AKA "a good walk spoiled" for my love of the garden. Or in my case in 2006 I transformed myself into a small scale farmer, or so I've been told by others, farmers included. Never been happier in my life!!
Way to go Paul!! Wish you much fun and many future success', same goes for everyone else too.

2006 was my best year yet without question, though my overall experience is rather limited in scope. Highlights have to be virtually anything regarding chiles, some offtype Speckled Romans, German Red Strawberry, Gregori's Altai and a bunch of hybrid sweet pepper cultivars. More importantly in my opinion I began to connect with other like minded folks, both locally and abroad and have created what will hopefully be lifelong friendships filled with abundant good times and tall tales!
obispo45 is offline   Reply With Quote