Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 14, 2015   #16
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Garrett,

I never did welcome you to my, and others, world of anal retentive tomato seed storage.

So, I'm saying it now.

Gary

Last edited by Tormato; September 15, 2015 at 04:46 PM.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2015   #17
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Thank you all for your tips and suggestions! I guess I'm going to head to Staples/Walmart or take a look around Amazon for supplies. I wasn't sure what size even to look for. The only "coin envelopes" in town weren't envelopes but pages with pockets and flaps for books and I knew that wasn't going to work! I love the look of homemade paper envelopes with a homemade label but I was worried about moisture getting in when sending in the mail or trading with someone.

I hit the clearance racks in town a few times and I have lots of (other) veggie seeds now! Excited for spring to come!
So I purchased a couple of plastic shoe boxes and index cards to start labeling and sorting my seeds. Hopefully it's going to work. It's definitely cat proof which was another concern.
I saved spinach, peas, and moss roses seeds so far this week and those all fit well into snack sized plastic baggies (but they were big seeds or in the case or the moss roses, LOTS of seeds).

Now that I've got the easy stuff done I'll be squishing up some JPT and Black Cherry pulp for seeds. Weee! This is fun! Thank you all again!
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2015   #18
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
I have a system i do not stray from. I use 2 × 3 plastic zip lock baggies i buy on amazon. I get 1000 of them for 7 bucks. Then i put them inside 2.5 × 3.5 coin envelopes with way more info on them than i probably need. I get 500 of them on amazon also for 10 bucks. I put the seeds in the baggies and the baggies inside the envelopes that way i do not have to lick the envelope shut to keep the seeds secure. I then make cardboard sleeves similar to the coin envelope packaging only far stronger. All seed packs are in alphabetical order. I also use seperate cardboard sleeves to hold bulk seeds or lines i am working on for segregation. Perhaps a bit of over kill but when you have as many seeds as i do organization is key. I can post pics if you would like.
heirloomtomaguy, I would love to see pics!

That goes for anyone else who is willing to share
Old September 14, 2015   #19
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

I needed specifically cat proof storage because of the cutie in my avatar. (the plastic shoe boxes)

She thinks my bag of seeds was the BEST pile to jump into ever. Walked around the house picking up the scattered packets and still found her a couple days later bringing one out of hiding and carrying it around in her month like a prized mouse.
Old September 14, 2015   #20
MendozaMark
Tomatovillian™

When i was just starting out here in Mendoza, I wasn't storing many varieties. I was reusing Tic Tac containers. They do hold a lot of seed and stand nicely in a box. This year i will try small paper envelopes and store them in ziploc bags to ensure they don't get wet.
MendozaMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2015   #21
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackyardFarm View Post
I needed specifically cat proof storage because of the cutie in my avatar. (the plastic shoe boxes)

She thinks my bag of seeds was the BEST pile to jump into ever. Walked around the house picking up the scattered packets and still found her a couple days later bringing one out of hiding and carrying it around in her month like a prized mouse.

You're not alone.

I'll let you know, the static electricity caused by those 2 x 3 plastic baggies is a magnet for cat hair (a "freebie" I got in a trade).
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2015   #22
imp
Tomatovillian™

I'm not as organized as anyone else all seem to be, and then add onto that the fact I am sometimes cheap, LOL.

So, for the bigger seeds, I user my empty plastic 20 ounce coke bottles or water bottles as they have screw on lids, so the cats don't have as much fun, and they are pretty sturdy ( the pop bottles especially). If you take off the "Coke" wrapper label, you have room for a label and can easily see the seed amount. This works well for me before, for like squash and watermelon, or even the cuke or cantaloupe seeds. The bottle makes pouring out the seed pretty easy, plus it's less in the landfill. They stand or stack in a plastic bin.

Small seeds can go small coke bottles, envelopes or plastic baggies- it's a mess that I need to decide on a method.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2015   #23
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I prefer the small zip-locks with the white block you can write on which I buy from Amazon. They not only allow me to write a fair amount of info directly on the envelope, the also let me see how many seeds I have.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2015   #24
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Plastic or paper it doesn't matter to me, either works just fine. I put all packets into a plastic organizer once used for 3.5 in Floppy Disks. I just looked at the bottom and the official name is: "Fellows SoftWorks Diskette Tray." It's just the right size,flips open nicely and closes well too. High recommend for seeds.

PS For some strange reason it's still being sold on Amazon!!! It is NOT worth $25.
http://www.amazon.com/Fellowes-Softw.../dp/B0000CAPC1

PS2 I like how this thread allows one to peer into TomatoVillian's lives and see where they lie on the OCD spectrum.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2015   #25
Linda10
Tomatovillian™

For storage, I keep most of mine in zip-lock bags inside coin envelopes. These then are divided into 3-ring black, red, orange, pink, green, white and purple binders. Each binder has alphabet dividers and plastic baseball card inserts, so 9 seed envelopes per page. This works great for me to quickly find what I need. The white notebook holds all my dwarf project seeds and commercial dwarfs. Purple is for striped, bicolor, or unusual seeds.

I haven't been able to grow as many tomatoes in the last few years due to health problems, so haven't been able to grow out my really old seed. This year I started giving away my older seeds to others who would be able to grow them out, so I've gone through the black and green binders and reduced them enough to combine the two categories into the purple notebook with cardboard dividers between colors.
Old September 15, 2015   #26
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Plastic or paper it doesn't matter to me, either works just fine. I put all packets into a plastic organizer once used for 3.5 in Floppy Disks. I just looked at the bottom and the official name is: "Fellows SoftWorks Diskette Tray." It's just the right size,flips open nicely and closes well too. High recommend for seeds.

PS For some strange reason it's still being sold on Amazon!!! It is NOT worth $25.
http://www.amazon.com/Fellowes-Softw.../dp/B0000CAPC1

PS2 I like how this thread allows one to peer into TomatoVillian's lives and see where they lie on the OCD spectrum.
Kudos for repurposing an obsolete memory storage storage container. Of course, seed packets fit perfectly.... no doubt they had that in mind. Unlike the nasty 8 track, VHS and CD people.
OCD? Where on earth are you now storing your old floppies?
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2015   #27
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Garrett,

I never did welcome you to my, and others, world of anal retentive tomato seed storage.

So, I'm saying it now.

Gary
Well thank you fine sir for being one of the reasons i have so many seeds to be anal with.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2015   #28
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
OCD? Where on earth are you now storing your old floppies?
Ha! I recycled a whole box full of floppies this week, and of course I saved the containers...hmmm...

Right now my seeds are stored in small ziplock plastic bags, inside plastic storage bins. I have 2 bins, and I started putting them in alphabetical order in one of the bins, with all envelopes of each variety in a paper coin envelope. In the other bin, I put tomato seeds as I acquire or save them, so that I know where to find tomato seeds, but they're in no order at all.

I found one of those binders with plastic sleeves at a book sale, but I never got around to OCDing all the varieties. It seemed like a good idea, but it occurred to me that as soon as I'd put all the varieties in their sleeves, I'd get another variety or three and have to rearrange the whole shebang.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2015   #29
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackyardFarm View Post
heirloomtomaguy, I would love to see pics!

That goes for anyone else who is willing to share
Here you go. As you can see i repurposed a hudson sprayer box to hold the seeds. Sorry for the sloppy writing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150915_204813-1024x576.jpg (102.0 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg 20150915_204944-1024x576.jpg (152.5 KB, 84 views)
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2015   #30
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
Here you go. As you can see i repurposed a hudson sprayer box to hold the seeds. Sorry for the sloppy writing.
Wow! That looks so super nice and neat! That's the style of organization I'm aiming for but I have plastic shoe boxes for storage (kitty proof)