Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 26, 2012   #1
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Giant Lutz Beets

Today we pulled the storage beets before the snow and low 20's temps that are predicted for the next few days. They are Lutz Green Leaf/Winterkeeper- there are lots of names for the same beet and apparently it's not easy to get seeds for the real thing which has pinkish/green stripey stalks. This variety is supposed to store well and stay tender and sweet even when it's huge. Well, we'll soon see- the largest was over 12 lbs.!My kitchen scale only registers to 11 lbs. so I had to stand on the bathroom scale with it- not digital, so it's not as accurate, but it's definitely over 12 lbs.

The first pic shows 3 of the largest ones; the second pic is the largest- the ruler is 12". The other pics show the smaller two beets from the first pic on the scale. The really big ones are pretty ugly looking on the outside. If I grow them again next year, I'll be sure to leave enough room next to the row to hill them up as the season progresses.

I'll post again when we cook and eat some and let you know what I think.

kath
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1915.jpg (543.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1914.jpg (534.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1910.jpg (397.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1909.jpg (718.2 KB, 51 views)
kath is offline   Reply With Quote