Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 31, 2011   #16
kath
Tomatovillian™

Wow- they are pretty!
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2011   #17
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, kath. They look nice in a salad.
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2011   #18
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

yes that's one gorgeous looking tomato!

i love hearts, they are my favorite. is this one sweet? does it have strong tomato flavor? my experience with yellow and orange tomatoes is don't expect much in the way of flavor. mild is not what i want in a tomato.

i started to read this thread and was shocked by your discussion about the season is almost over and frost in a few days and 37 degrees! i was dumbfounded cuz even at your latitude i can't imagine those are normal conditions on the last day of july. then i looked at the date of the posts, september!

sherry what is your avatar? is that a real flower? pretty color and looks large.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2011   #19
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Tom, my guess its what's called Himalayan Poppy, but I'd have to look up the botanical name.

Sherry, am I close, am I close?

If so, do I get some seeds of the orange heart?
Old July 31, 2011   #20
salix
Tomatovillian™

Tom, latin name is Meconopsis betonicifolia aka Himalayan Blue Poppy. Sherry, since I saved you the time spent replying, could I get into the line up also for a late autumn trade (actually not so late in these latitudes).
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2011   #21
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjg911 View Post
yes that's one gorgeous looking tomato!

i love hearts, they are my favorite. is this one sweet? does it have strong tomato flavor? my experience with yellow and orange tomatoes is don't expect much in the way of flavor. mild is not what i want in a tomato.

i started to read this thread and was shocked by your discussion about the season is almost over and frost in a few days and 37 degrees! i was dumbfounded cuz even at your latitude i can't imagine those are normal conditions on the last day of july. then i looked at the date of the posts, september!

sherry what is your avatar? is that a real flower? pretty color and looks large.

tom
Tom -- I think ZS has a very decent taste. Not a really strong tomato flavor as you would expect in a pink or red, but not too mild either.

Yes, it's a real flower. And yes, its common name is Himalayan Blue Poppy (not really a poppy at all). Alaska is one of the few areas in this country where it can be grown. This one is not M. betonicifolia, but rather M. 'Lingholm'. It is a fairly large blossom. I think somewhere in the photo gallery there's a thread on it with more pictures.

Quote:
Tom, my guess its what's called Himalayan Poppy, but I'd have to look up the botanical name.

Sherry, am I close, am I close?

If so, do I get some seeds of the orange heart?
You are correct!!! BUT, I already sent you some seeds for this one, last year I think. Want more? I'd be glad to send them.

Quote:
Tom, latin name is Meconopsis betonicifolia aka Himalayan Blue Poppy. Sherry, since I saved you the time spent replying, could I get into the line up also for a late autumn trade (actually not so late in these latitudes).
Yes to the trade. Um-m-m, wait, do you mean the flower or the tomato? Yes, either way.

Sherry

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=8272

Last edited by Sherry_AK; July 31, 2011 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Add link to other thread re poppies
Old August 1, 2011   #22
chalstonsc
Tomatovillian™

Mine was loaded also and I enjoyed growing it for the first time this year. It's on the list for next year!
chalstonsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2011   #23
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

Very nice. And you say it grows well in containers? Hmmm, that would look pretty impressive in the containers I do for my mom on her driveway, and on my aunt's back deck....
delltraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2011   #24
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry_AK View Post
Zolotoe Serdtse has returned to my garden again this year and is loaded with beautiful tomatoes.

Sherry, I am just noticing you are in Alaska. I remember watching tv documentaries about the giant vegetables that can be grown in Alaska in the summer, with long days and wonderful soils. Is that true, or just tv-land dramatization, and if so, does it apply to tomatoes as well.

And by the way, those tomatoes are gorgeous.

Keith
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2011   #25
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Keith -- Thanks. I think they should be called "Fiskars" as they are the exact color of "Fiskars Orange."

It is true that we can grow some giant veggies here. And by "here" I mean pretty much right here where I am ... in the Matanuska-Susitna Valley. In general, however, that applies to the cool-climate crops. We get some huge cabbages and several world records have been entered in our state fair, including an almost 19# carrot which I saw (and it was pretty ugly!). Here's a link: http://www.alaskastatefair.org/site/...table-List.pdf and http://www.recordholders.org/en/records/vegetables.html

Really just about the only way to get tomatoes in this area is in a greenhouse. In interior Alaska (such as Fairbanks) it gets much warmer in the summer and I imagine they do just fine outdoors there.

Sherry