Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 26, 2012   #16
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

I covered the rhubarb. I know that it will grow new leaves, but if I can get it through tonight I'll feel better. The bed has been neglected the 3 years or so and, because multiple people pick from, it has been over picked in spots. I figure if I can prevent one regrow cycle it will be stronger.

Last edited by Doug9345; March 26, 2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: I always see typos AFTER I hit the send button.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2012   #17
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

How did everyone do last night? Or is it too soon to tell?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you all.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2012   #18
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinonfaith View Post
How did everyone do last night? Or is it too soon to tell?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you all.
Thanks for your concern. My peas took a bad hit. They had been growing since 3/14 from a 3/2 planting and were several inches tall. I'm not sure if the growth tips were completely frozen on all of them but they were very limp and looked worse as the day progressed. Guess I'll wait a few more days and replant with what seed I have left on Saturday if they still look the same or worse. Hope I've finally learned my lesson about planting way before the safe date for a particular crop. I hate having wasted so much seed.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2012   #19
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

I'm sorry to hear that Kath. We were right on the border and made out fine.

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2012   #20
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

I'm so sorry, Kath. I was hoping they would all be okay. I know peas can take a little frost, wasn't sure about a hard freeze. Maybe they will recover.

Did everything else make it?
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2012   #21
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinonfaith View Post
I'm so sorry, Kath. I was hoping they would all be okay. I know peas can take a little frost, wasn't sure about a hard freeze. Maybe they will recover.

Did everything else make it?
Thanks for the sympathetic words- today they're even flatter on the ground and going from green to yellow. It's really over for them so I'll be replanting on Saturday. I almost took a picture today to post but it was too sad. Fortunately, everything else is ok. The onions lost the outermost leaf but are still green and standing tall, so I think they're ok. I did keep the extra onion plants for replacements just in case.
Old March 29, 2012   #22
OneDahlia
Tomatovillian™

Aw, the poor peas! I'm sorry they didn't make it. That's a lot of peas to replant, but at least the new ones should grow fast. I planted some very early, maybe six weeks ago, and then some more about two weeks ago. The late ones germinated super fast in the warmer soil and there's not a huge difference between the two groups.
OneDahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2012   #23
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDahlia View Post
Aw, the poor peas! I'm sorry they didn't make it. That's a lot of peas to replant, but at least the new ones should grow fast. I planted some very early, maybe six weeks ago, and then some more about two weeks ago. The late ones germinated super fast in the warmer soil and there's not a huge difference between the two groups.
Thanks for the smpathy and encouragement, OneDahlia. I'm sure you're right about them catching up. I'm always in a rush to get the peas in and out quickly because we do a succession crop with late sweet corn and if I plant the corn much later than the end of the first week in July, we risk not having the corn ripen before the first frost in the fall.
Old April 1, 2012   #24
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Luckily it didn't get as cold here as predicted.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2012   #25
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

snowpeas have taking a new meaning to me i planted my peas 3 weeks ago and right now they are getting snowed on
stonysoilseeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2012   #26
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Thanks for your concern. My peas took a bad hit. They had been growing since 3/14 from a 3/2 planting and were several inches tall. I'm not sure if the growth tips were completely frozen on all of them but they were very limp and looked worse as the day progressed. Guess I'll wait a few more days and replant with what seed I have left on Saturday if they still look the same or worse. Hope I've finally learned my lesson about planting way before the safe date for a particular crop. I hate having wasted so much seed.
I'm sorry to hear about your peas.
Back in Jan, we were having 85 degree days and 45 degree nights, I was wondering why I didn't start my tomatoes in Nov.
Thankfully, I watched my 10 forecasts when I got near normal planting time. Ended up 3 weeks late because of weekly frost warnings ing Feb/March.
Can't trust early warm weather.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2012   #27
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your peas.
Back in Jan, we were having 85 degree days and 45 degree nights, I was wondering why I didn't start my tomatoes in Nov.
Thankfully, I watched my 10 forecasts when I got near normal planting time. Ended up 3 weeks late because of weekly frost warnings ing Feb/March.
Can't trust early warm weather.
Thanks, Tracy- glad to hear you waited and I think I've finally learned not to take chances with early planting unless I'm really prepared to lose the crop. The replacement peas have been planted and are getting rained on as I write.