Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 4, 2012   #16
tedln

I've used the same nylon line for three years without any sag or degradation in the sun light. It seems to last forever. I do pull it really tight between the T posts when I install it. I also cut the lengths with a soldering iron. The hot iron melts right through it and keeps the ends from fraying out.

Ted
Old April 4, 2012   #17
GaryStPaul
Tomatovillian™

I did the Florida Weave for the first time last season. Used olive-green parachute cord, which worked out very well.
GaryStPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2012   #18
kurt
Tomatovillian™

I use a "braided"line for fishing which is made to stretch so you do not lose the fish due to break off.The natural twines and sisals do break down and my main concern was that it might inhibit mold and a medium for disease spores when wetted would drip the crud and spread.And the spools come at 9000ft which I do not need and laying around here in this humidity will start to disintegrate.So far no real sag. my stakes are treated(by myself)1 inch bamboo(10 ft) poles that are securely tied off at each end of rows so they wont cave or sag towards the weight of the growing maters.My neighbor uses the T posts and since he put them raw into ground(no concrete footing)they tended to sag inwards(the end of row posts).To remedy this since he went 8 ft. per T post we installed some 45 degree 2x2 cross braces(Treated)at the end posts to stop the sag caus he has no upper tie back(open field).I grow in my pool enclosure(screened)so I have tie back points.I do a ladder(two poles per five gallon container)and at each node (1ft.)the lines are strung horizontal and a 45 degree to half way point of end poles a brace.The electricians pull string has held up really well over the years and since the neighbor is a electrician I get all the material since they tend to throw away once the wire is pulled.I have found the tobacco pipe cleaning straws work great for training the leaders and holding in place a good alternative for tying the plants so the heavy winds will not cut the vines.The velcro and those rapid clips are not really made for horizontal applications.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2012   #19
austinnhanasmom
Tomatovillian™

I use the green plastic coated wire for clotheslines. The only place I have found it is in a hardware store - so expensive - but it lasts for years.

In a pinch, the plastic cord from Lowes has worked for me too.
austinnhanasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2012   #20
dice
Tomatovillian™

I use trellises (like gillnets) rather than Florida Weave, but this
1/8" nylon has held up well. Not much stretch, holds up in the sun longer
than polypropylene or polyester:
http://ozbo.com/016060-Rope-Nylon-X-Braid-Wht.html
(I have seen it cheaper, about $30 for 1000 feet, but Ozbo has flat rate
shipping. Is it in stock? You definitely want to know that in advance.)

These guys have baling twine at a "farmer price":
http://www.agrisupply.com/baling-twine/c/1900002/
(Walk-in locations:
http://www.agrisupply.com/retail-store-locations/a/80/
)

I would try the jet line, too, if you can get it used for free (always an
advantage).