Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 30, 2013   #16
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Looks nice Charlie.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013   #17
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

I've been trying to decide between drip and SIP. This thread has been awesome. Thank you for detailing your journey so far!
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013   #18
Fat Charlie
Tomatovillian™

They're different systems, and terrain dictates. I wanted the SIPs because it's got more of a "groundwater always being there" effect than "always needing to be watered." But because of the equipment I had on hand and where I put them, drip was the way to go.
Fat Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013   #19
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

I think - and I could be totally wrong - that a container in contact with the ground is more forgiving as far as soil mix goes?

I love the idea of SIP, but it's very attractive to be able use a part compost mix (no Promix available for me). I have some SIPs already, so I think I will set up a few different options just to see what works here.

Haven't found much information on using a wick system with the pots in contact with the ground - I'm thinking most of my water would get wicked into the ground. Which wouldn't be the end of the world, just defeat the purpose somewhat.

I'm finding, in my SIPs with a small reservoir, that tomatoes drink a LOT!

Tl
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 gallon bucket , automatic watering system , self-watering , sip