Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 2, 2015   #16
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-8087-ha...l-blocker.aspx

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.eXY&cad=rja

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2015   #17
birdermom
Tomatovillian™

This soil block is really interesting to me and worth a try. I have lots of the trays with mesh bottoms already that I could put them in. Couple of questions for those that have gone in this direction.
What is your medium for the blocks?
Do you start with a 2 inch soil block, place seed, grow from there until transplant or start with cells and place seedling in block?
How do you water if the blocks are in the mesh trays, how often?
I am a person of many questions because I like to have all info before I start. I also like "first-hand experience info" along with articles, etc.....best source...you been there, done it. Thanks!
birdermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2015   #18
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/mediaplay...SVideos_122014
If this works, this is a link to Johnnys Selected Seeds, a high quality seed (and other garden stuff) source. They actually have a sale on seed starting supplies right now.
Shawn
Old March 2, 2015   #19
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdermom View Post
This soil block is really interesting to me and worth a try. I have lots of the trays with mesh bottoms already that I could put them in. Couple of questions for those that have gone in this direction.
I use a product made not too far from me. It.s called Fort Vee, made by Vermont Compost. Other companies make mixes designed for blocking. I have also seen several recipes for a blocking mix published. I've just never made my own because I have such good luck with the Fort Vee.
Do you start with a 2 inch soil block, place seed, grow from there until transplant or start with cells and place seedling in block?
Both, depending. Because I start a lot of tomatoes and peppers I use the dense planting method touted by nctomatoman here, then I make blocks with a hole designed for mini blocks and plug the little starts in them. They can stay right in the 2" block until transplant, and I have had seedlings between 12 - 18" tall coming out of my little 2" blocks and they look great and take right off when planted deep. I have a 4" blocker that makes a huge block, but I don't use it because it just takes too much potting mix, and isn't necessary. For small seeds I have a mini blocker, and that works well and is a space saver. Those mini blocks get potted up to the 2" block as soon as they sprout, pretty much. Other seeds can be put right into the 2" blocks.
I just got a 2' square rabbit pen bottom tray from Tractor Supply that works beautifully for bottom watering two trays at once. Previously I just used a solid 1020 standard greenhouse tray to hold water for bottom watering. It takes about a minute to wick up enough water into the blocks, especially if I haven't let it get too dry. How often depends on conditions. Those big, tall transplants needed a dip at least once a day.
I am a person of many questions because I like to have all info before I start. I also like "first-hand experience info" along with articles, etc.....best source...you been there, done it. Thanks!
Old March 2, 2015   #20
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdermom View Post
I use a fine peat mixture with either Perlite or Vermiculite added. If it has too many large pieces then you won't get a solid block. When pressing down 'good pressure' is also needed to compress the block. Watch the Youtube video, there are plenty of them.
I generally sow 2 seeds, then clip off the one I don't need before they get too big.
I have not been successful with the smaller block maker, mainly I think to lack of watering, must try again this year.
Finally, if the plants get too big you can drop the block into a pot, add more soil and they'll take off.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2015   #21
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I spent some time making a soil block maker last year, it worked great, squeezing a 1.5"diameter plug in a piece of pipe. But this year I felt lazy and didn't bother with it.
The transplants were very health, the roots just barely protruded from the edge then stopped growing. Watering was easy, they lived in an old nursery tray and I'd just flood them from the bottom.
I would have used it this year but my homemade device was too labor intensive.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2015   #22
EBCIII
Tomatovillian™

I looked at these? For me right now just way out of my budget line. I am thinking of putting my few tomato seeds I do get into a Solo Cup with holes put in bottom. Normal Miracle Grow Potting soil. Put another Solo Cup under the 1st. Then put a clear container over that, Beale.
EBCIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2015   #23
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBCIII View Post
I am thinking of putting my few tomato seeds I do get into a Solo Cup with holes put in bottom. Normal Miracle Grow Potting soil. Put another Solo Cup under the 1st. Then put a clear container over that, Beale.
No need to put a clear container over it, a piece of saran will do and when they germinate, you can just remove the saran. Beale, have you watched NCTomatoman's series on dense planting? You don't even need to "dense" plant at all but the basic methodology, the realization that tomato/pepper seedlings are really hardly, it is really invaluable...
Old March 3, 2015   #24
EBCIII
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigiwu View Post
No need to put a clear container over it, a piece of saran will do and when they germinate, you can just remove the saran. Beale, have you watched NCTomatoman's series on dense planting? You don't even need to "dense" plant at all but the basic methodology, the realization that tomato/pepper seedlings are really hardly, it is really invaluable...

I will have to watch it at a free WI-fi zone, I will watch it! Thanks! Beale.
EBCIII is offline   Reply With Quote