Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 30, 2015   #16
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Good Luck Ted, I know we would all love to have a OP Sungold to grow. I will watch your progress with great anticipation.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2015   #17
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I guess I can rub some of the leaves from each and compare that. I don't smoke, so my nose will not be oddly influenced or distorted. I'll do that tomorrow and let you know.

I've been going hard since about 6:30 this morning. I did get 7 quarts and a pint of juice canned. But I'm running out of steam. Time to turn in. I'll be back in the morning. Right now, I'll try to dream of perfect F6 tests on this one.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2015   #18
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Bower, I'm not any kind of geneticist. I'm just a tomato grower that likes to make juice for the winter. But, I come from a long history of troubleshooting electronics and evaluating computer software code. I guess I apply some of these evaluating skills to my gardening. I think the "real" experts here have inspired me toward that. I know that if I observe and record objectively, that there may be an expert out there who can help me make sense of what I've encountered. In that perfect scenario, i learn new things. I can remember back in 2011 when I made the decision to save a few seeds from the volunteer, I said to myself that it was probably useless, but I had the time and the inclination to do it, so why not?

Each year, I planted the previous generation and couldn't really justify using the garden space to myself or my family. But there was a "nudge" in the back of my brain that said I should just do it and move on. Each year, I encountered the same disapointment as the year before. But there was something my insatiable curiosity just couldn't be denied. So, I would plant again, etc.

I really wasn't expecting anything except the usual results. So, this is both rewarding for my perserverance, and exciting for the possibilities.

Let's all hope this pans out.
It's awesome... score one for perseverance.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2015   #19
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Van, we posted at the same time. I don't know where this will end up, but I will give it an honest evaluation and give everyone as much info as I can. I feel the gravity of what i may have and I also feel the gravity of the responsibility that comes with it. Whatever the results, the citizens of Tomatoville will be the first to know. And those wonderful citizens will be able to make their decisions based on the facts. It is early in this process. Let's proceed with hope and caution. I want to give everyone a wonderful present, but I don't want the present to be a dud.

Goodnight.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old July 30, 2015   #20
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I put this post here to see if someone else has seen these larger fruits.
I'm growing plants that are descended from SunGold (about F3 or F4) that have much larger orange fruits than SunGold. And some with slightly smaller fruits... I'm not chasing anything in particular in them, other than I have tended to save seed from the larger-fruited plants. If any red-fruited plants showed up I wouldn't know about it, because I grow landrace style and don't generally keep those kinds of records.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2015   #21
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

I'm watching this thread and your results with F6 with baited breath. Sungold is one of my favorite tomatoes ever and an OP with the same fantastic taste would literally be like Christmas coming early every year.
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2015   #22
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

For me, it is easier to reply to one post in a thread, but this first part of my reply is to posts 1-4.

Very cool Ted. I grew Sungold F1, for the first time in the Spring garden. I really like the taste but for me, they are too small. Love how they produce almost like a multiflora.

Carolyn, I've read about the Sungold 1, Sungold 11, Sungold Select, and Big Sungold Select. I have also read to never save seeds from the red tomatoes that grow on Sungold F2,F3, etc. Why not save seeds from the red fruits? If SunRed tastes good, why not grow it out?

I am at that point. There are some F2 seeds from hybrids that I am interested in. Sungold, Celebrity, and Juliet. I have F2 plants of each about to be planted out in the next 5 days. This thread perked my interest.

I've only read the first 4 posts in this thread, but ContainerTed, I think you are on your way to producing an OP Sungold with the preferred larger size. I hope so.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2015   #23
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Looks and sounds good Ted!
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2015   #24
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Well, we went down to the garden and did the foliage aroma test. I sniffed the Hybrid foliage first to see if it had the aroma. Then I sniffed Tommy Toe Red. Then I sniffed the Hybrid again and the difference was easy to discern. Then I sniffed Tommy Toe Red again and then my F5 plant. Then the Hybrid plant. There was no difference between the Hybrid and my F5, but both were discernable from the Tommy Toe Red.

I wandered around the garden sniffing different varieties and even rubbing some of the leaves between my hands. I had taken a 5 gallon bucket of clean tap water with me to rinse off my hands.

The last thing I did before my neighbor came over and asked, "What the cathair I was doing", was to rub some of the Hybrid leaves between my hands, sniff it, and then pick a fruit and eat it. The connection is remarkable. The large F5's did the same.

So, I would have to say that the aroma test was passed with flying colors. And, I harvested, cut up, and began fermentation of seeds from each plant. My Brother will be here in the morning and he is bringing me a few of the fruit from his plant. I am only saving seed from the very largest fruit on each plant.

Comments? Recommendations? I'm open to discussion on any facet.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old July 31, 2015   #25
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I'm really looking forward to the time you bring these seeds to market, and I hope that the flavor will remain! I LOVE that Sungold smell and think that is part of the enjoyment of growing Sungold - especially since I start my seedlings inside the house.

Keep up the good work .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2015   #26
MarinaRussian
Tomatovillian™

Ted, I am following your Sungold line, yes I am

Hopefully some day I can try the real Sungold, since everybody loves it so much... and I have no clue what they're talking about, so I feel left out

Have you considered starting the F6 seeds now? You could grow a few plants in a container. If you don't get ripe fruits, you could at least find out if the leaves still have that "Sungold scent" (whatever that means)
MarinaRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2015   #27
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaRussian View Post

Hopefully some day I can try the real Sungold, since everybody loves it so much... and I have no clue what they're talking about, so I feel left out

Have you considered starting the F6 seeds now? You could grow a few plants in a container. If you don't get ripe fruits, you could at least find out if the leaves still have that "Sungold scent" (whatever that means)
Must be two great minds working up the same mountain. I just sent my son down to Lowes to get a fresh bag of mix. We'll see what happens. You hang in there. You might not have to feel "left out" much longer.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old July 31, 2015   #28
MarinaRussian
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Must be two great minds working up the same mountain. I just sent my son down to Lowes to get a fresh bag of mix. We'll see what happens. You hang in there. You might not have to feel "left out" much longer.
So, you have considered it, lol

I'm pretty sure that many people here are just as excited, as I am about your find and we will be keeping our fingers and toes crossed
MarinaRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2015   #29
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

About the special scent of Sungold F1 foliage.

Yes, I know that many have noted that but I'm not alone in saying that I've grown the F1 many times and have never smelled anything different about the foliage.

No different IMO when so many say they love the smoky taste of most so called blacks and I never have.

The genes we have also help determine what we smell, what we taste, the colors we see, etc., and each of us has our own package of genes unique to each person.

Carolyn
Old July 31, 2015   #30
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaRussian View Post

If you want Sungold F1 seeds pm me your address and i will send some your way. I always keep international stamps on hand so it is no problem at all.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote