Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 27, 2015   #16
Slg Garden
Tomatovillian™

Where do you do the squeeze test: shoulders, equator or bottom?

I keep trying my black tomatoes at different stages of ripeness and have yet to taste the smokiness or chocolate or whatever special I'm supposed to taste.
Slg Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2015   #17
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Between the Tropic of Capricorn and the Antarctic Circle is my answer, and I'm sticking with it.

Dr Lve Apple
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2015   #18
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slg Garden View Post
Where do you do the squeeze test: shoulders, equator or bottom?

I keep trying my black tomatoes at different stages of ripeness and have yet to taste the smokiness or chocolate or whatever special I'm supposed to taste.
I have tasted the 'smoky' flavor, it comes in towards the final stage of ripeness. What in the beginning can be described as 'spicy' (similar to GWR taste), becomes the source of dark, earthy aroma. Which I understand well can taste overr-ripe, almost rotten, to some people.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2015   #19
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
I have tasted the 'smoky' flavor, it comes in towards the final stage of ripeness. What in the beginning can be described as 'spicy' (similar to GWR taste), becomes the source of dark, earthy aroma. Which I understand well can taste overr-ripe, almost rotten, to some people.
"...almost rotten, to some people."

I taste both the "spicy" and the "earthy" in the same tomato, it tasting both under-ripe and over-ripe at the same time, as I say in my above link.

I think I'm going to dream of a fermenting Greenland shark (hakarl) swimming in my garden, tonight.
Old August 28, 2015   #20
Timomac
Tomatovillian™

Just my taste, but I mostly like picking them a little bit early - when still firm as it still has a little acidity left before the sugars kick in - if that makes sense. They also seem to store a little better that way as well. This worked for my Garyo Sena's and Spudakee's as they seemed to get a little blander with the extra time.

Bear Creek on the other hand, was best when softer, riper. To me they taste like Brandywine's, favoring their Brandywine heritage much more than other hybrids I've tasted. They're just purplish. The extra time seemed to enhance the 'grapiness' I taste in Brandywine.
Timomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2015   #21
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

These Paul Robeson tomatoes are all ripe - firm but yielding outside. Lush. sweet and yummy inside.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2015   #22
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

It depends on which black and if you're using it right away or storing it for a few days. Some get a little grainy if they go too far, like CP.

Some don't really get to their true flavor until they have a deep red, somewhere between fire engine and carmine. For these I'm thinking about those beautiful PRs rhines81 posted above, or Bkrim.

If taste is the only factor, then that's a very personal thing. Experiment and see what degree of ripeness your taste buds respond to best. My favorite part is finding the sweet spot for each type.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2015   #23
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I enjoy tasting many Black tomatoes, but I can honestly say that the only time that I have tasted the 'Smokey' flavor was on the Paul Robeson. Sadly, that is the only black that I can not grow. It dies every year from bacterial wilt. It is my favorite tomato!!! The first year was a charm and it has died ever since.
Old September 16, 2015   #24
b54red
Tomatovillian™

That smoky flavor that people talk about has only happened for me during times of very dry and hot weather and it can happen with a variety of dark tomatoes. I have never tasted that wonderful flavor during times of cooler weather or wet weather. That may be why during the spring and early summer I frequently will choose a pink or red tomato for eating fresh but during the summer the black tomatoes rule.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2015   #25
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I taste the smokey and earthy flavor (like a cigarette butt dropped in a mud puddle) most years, as I nearly always starve my plants for water.

P20 I use as a gauge for watering, as it seems to be just about the least drought resistant plant I've trialed.
Old September 17, 2015   #26
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Black Brandywine had a musky, gamey taste that I didn't like. It tasted like the smell of a sweaty horse.

And I agree about Paul Robeson. It's my favorite non-dwarf tomato to eat.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2015   #27
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

"Black Brandywine had a musky, gamey taste that I didn't like. It tasted like the smell of a sweaty horse."

Black Brandywine shall not return for me either. 1st time I've tossed seeds.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2015   #28
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

We all need to try to keep Tormato away from those mud puddles !
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2015   #29
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Gotta love those cigarettes and mud puddles! The perfect taste for a black tomato.
Old September 21, 2015   #30
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
I taste the smokey and earthy flavor (like a cigarette butt dropped in a mud puddle) most years, as I nearly always starve my plants for water.

P20 I use as a gauge for watering, as it seems to be just about the least drought resistant plant I've trialed.

Gee, Tormato, was it a country area mud puddle or a urban mud puddle? Clay dirt influences or good compost taste, caliche or lime stone accents for those mud puddles?

And the cigarette butt, menthol or regular, light, filtered or strong like the old Lucky Strikes?

Sorry, it was just too tempting to tease you a bit. ( and now you know why it kills the squash bugs!!).
imp is offline   Reply With Quote