Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 12, 2015   #16
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Some like it some dont, I love it.
Orange Russian.
I had one come up volunteer one year under a tree at the end of my driveway in November.
The thing survived me parking the tuck over it that winter and was one of my best producers the next summer.
Worth
http://www.tomatogrowers.com/ORANGE-...ductinfo/5539/
I am dying to try Orange Russian 117. I need to get some seeds.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2015   #17
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I am dying to try Orange Russian 117. I need to get some seeds.
I can send you seeds Marsha . Happy to
Anything else? I have a few others
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2015   #18
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
KarenO
Awesome, Karen, many thanks. Do you happen to have any Aunt Ruby's German Green? For some reason, my saved seeds did not germinate, even when I put them in a damp paper towel sealed in a baggie.
Old September 12, 2015   #19
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Awesome, Karen, many thanks. Do you happen to have any Aunt Ruby's German Green? For some reason, my saved seeds did not germinate, even when I put them in a damp paper towel sealed in a baggie.
If Karen does not have any, I have fresh seed for ARGG. Just send me a pm.

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2015   #20
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Most of my favourite tomatoes are hearts as well. I'm at F4 with several potato leaf heart lines that do not have that wispy characteristic. Lots of work to do yet but they are coming along as I was hoping.
KarenO
Karen, I'm really looking forward to your hearts, both RL and PL, but as I recall they were the result of a deliberate cross you made between Ludmilla's Pink Heart (RL) and was it Captain Lucky (PL), not sure on the last one and didn;t bother to go searching to confirm Captain Lucky, knowing it would be easier for you to answer rather then my searching..

I was thinking more of naturally occuring PL hearts, not ones from accidental X pollinations or from deliberate crosses.
Looking at my list of hearts I've grown I see Heshpole, which is PL but that came from an accidental X pollination.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Heshpole

It can be a problem for anyone growing almost any variety, especially new ones ,where not much is known as to determining if the leaf form will be RL or PL, b'c what often happens is that the first true leaves look RL and as the seedling grows, the newer leaves are PL, which is why I don't make a call on leaf form until there are at least 4-5 sets of true leaves.

Right now, off hand, I can't think of any hearts that are naturally PL and have been from the get go, so if any of you can think of any that would be great.

Carolyn, still the obsessed heart lover.
Old September 12, 2015   #21
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Hi Carolyn, Yes the Cross I made was between Ludmilla's pink heart and Captain Lucky. I have deliberately selected only PL plants from F2 onward and now all of the progeny I have are Potato leaf. At F3 the majority are big blunt hearts various colours, my favourite being a bicolour heart I am calling midnight sun. Early for a big tomato. Quite pleased with them so far but some beefsteaks have shown up in the F3 although a couple of those are really good too.
I want to stabilize them before I send out seed but once I have something I thin is pretty much stable, Tomatoville friends who wish to try it I will gladly give seed to.
My next project is a fancy PL cherry. A cross I did this year hoping for a bicolour or a fabulous black in the F2. time will tell

KarenO

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Karen, I'm really looking forward to your hearts, both RL and PL, but as I recall they were the result of a deliberate cross you made between Ludmilla's Pink Heart (RL) and was it Captain Lucky (PL), not sure on the last one and didn;t bother to go searching to confirm Captain Lucky, knowing it would be easier for you to answer rather then my searching..

I was thinking more of naturally occuring PL hearts, not ones from accidental X pollinations or from deliberate crosses.
Looking at my list of hearts I've grown I see Heshpole, which is PL but that came from an accidental X pollination.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Heshpole

It can be a problem for anyone growing almost any variety, especially new ones ,where not much is known as to determining if the leaf form will be RL or PL, b'c what often happens is that the first true leaves look RL and as the seedling grows, the newer leaves are PL, which is why I don't make a call on leaf form until there are at least 4-5 sets of true leaves.

Right now, off hand, I can't think of any hearts that are naturally PL and have been from the get go, so if any of you can think of any that would be great.

Carolyn, still the obsessed heart lover.
Old September 12, 2015   #22
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, How about Zore's Big Red--is it a naturally occurring Pl heart? There's
not a lot of info about it at Tatianna's. I grew it a few years back-the plant
was extremely unusual looking-a very wispy Pl. I haven't seen it mentioned for a couple of years.

Darlene
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2015   #23
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyghost View Post
Carolyn, How about Zore's Big Red--is it a naturally occurring Pl heart? There's
not a lot of info about it at Tatianna's. I grew it a few years back-the plant
was extremely unusual looking-a very wispy Pl. I haven't seen it mentioned for a couple of years.

Darlene
Thanks Darlene, you are right as in a PL heart from the former Yugoslavia.

A couple of links,first Tania's link

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...b=General_Info

Seed sources? Gleckler is out although I know if I contacted Adam he might well still have seeds. Didn't check Double Helix or the Delectation one and that's b'c Neil L whose response was at Tania's page has been not only a friend since the early 90's but one of my best seed producers and he's still listing it in the 2015 SSE Yearbook.

And I know I could get seeds from him , I'm no longer a listed SSE member, my choice, BUT, he gets to list ANY of the newest varieties I send him for seed production him in the SSE Yearbooks where he lists about 600 varieties each year/

And now an older thread from Tville about it:

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=16619

Good find Darlene, and does anyone else know of a PL natural long time heart?

Carolyn
Old September 12, 2015   #24
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
KarenO
Karen, surprise! Some came in the mail today of OR117, so I am good, I think. I hope you didnt send them yet. Many thanks for thinking of me.
Old September 12, 2015   #25
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Karen, surprise! Some came in the mail today of OR117, so I am good, I think. I hope you didnt send them yet. Many thanks for thinking of me.
They are too pretty to eat.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2015   #26
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

O good, glad you got them! I didn't send mine yet. Glad you are growing OR117 as I am interested in what you will think in comparison when I can send you midnight sun seeds.

Karen

Quote:
Old September 12, 2015   #27
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
O good, glad you got them! I didn't send mine yet. Glad you are growing OR117 as I am interested in what you will think in comparison when I can send you midnight sun seeds.

Karen
OK, now your just teasing me! LOL ( kidding) Truth is, I can hardly wait until your beautiful PL hearts be ome available. I have found a PL bicolor Dwarf Heart from the Ivalde line. I am naming it Gloria's treat after my mom. F5 now.
Old September 13, 2015   #28
MendozaMark
Tomatovillian™

I was wondering if there are any determinate hearts ? I'll start checking Tania's database, but perhaps someone here knows and has experience with it.
MendozaMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2015   #29
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

Mark, Check out Danko-I think it may be a det. red heart. Many hearts are too
mild for our taste but I remember liking Danko very much. Darlene
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2015   #30
MendozaMark
Tomatovillian™

Anyone use hearts for dehydrating ? I like the idea of trying hearts as a paste replacement for sauces but I also use paste types for dehydrating too.
MendozaMark is offline   Reply With Quote