Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 4, 2015   #16
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
Packets, packets and more packets. All legit.
Fred, I was glad to see that High Mowing Seeds is offering them. Since they offer free shipping in the US I will order from them. I always hate it when I only need one thing and the shipping is as much as the seeds.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2015   #17
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Carolyn,

Many seed companies sell small packets of Indigo Cherry Drops. Aaron is the approved wholesaler and seed companies buy from him (with part of the price being the royalty calculated for Oregon State).

Aaron says it, because that is what Jim Myers said he did:

From J. Myers website: Now there is a tomato specially bred by Dr. Jim Myers at Oregon State University. He used wild tomatoes from Peru and the Galapagos Islands to breed a dark purple tomato called Indigo Rose.

Kumato has nothing to do with the blue tomatoes Myers is working with. It is a "black" more similar to tomatoes like Cherokee Purple, and whether or not a tomato was "from Spain" in the short term, that does not speak to the origins of the germplasm used to create the variety. This does not mean I am vouching for any assertions made about Kumato. I am ignorant on the topic.

But that is really neither here nor there, when it comes to the origin of the anthocyanin in Indigo Cherry Drops, and Jim Myers representation of where the wild species used came from.
Fred, I do know that Kumato has nothing to do with antho anything but what I was trying to say, and will again, of the wild species of Solanum sourced from S America none of them, as I remember, had any antho genes based on the pictures I saw at the one website where all the species( tomato Solanums, there are other Solanums) were shown but I've lost that link but could try to find it again if I had time.

Is it really that important in terms of this new cherry tomato, probably not, so lets just carry on.

Carolyn,who will wait until someone will share some seeds with her b'c to date the only antho one that looked good as to taste is a pink heart with antho shoulders but my seed producer in IL lost ALL of the plants from seed I sent him, including that one, but I know I can get more, probably.

Edited to add that there are several blue fruited Solanums, I just remembered, not tomato Solanums, so that could be the source of antho pigment IMO.
Old October 4, 2015   #18
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Fred, I do know that Kumato has nothing to do with antho anything but what I was trying to say, and will again, of the wild species of Solanum sourced from S America none of them, as I remember, had any antho genes based on the pictures I saw at the one website where all the species( tomato Solanums, there are other Solanums) were shown but I've lost that link but could try to find it again if I had time.

Is it really that important in terms of this new cherry tomato, probably not, so lets just carry on.

Carolyn,who will wait until someone will share some seeds with her b'c to date the only antho one that looked good as to taste is a pink heart with antho shoulders but my seed producer in IL lost ALL of the plants from seed I sent him, including that one, but I know I can get more, probably.

Edited to add that there are several blue fruited Solanums, I just remembered, not tomato Solanums, so that could be the source of antho pigment IMO.
I can send you Indigo Cherry Drops if you would like
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2015   #19
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
I can send you Indigo Cherry Drops if you would like

I would like.

Anything happening with the seeds I sent you for that other project?

Carolyn
Old October 4, 2015   #20
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

So Carolyn,

Are you are saying that you don't believe Jim Myers assertions about where the blue is from? He says it is from wild tomato species.

Indigo Rose's genesis began in the 1960s, when two breeders – one from Bulgaria and the other from the United States – first crossed-cultivated tomatoes with wild species from Chile and the Galapagos Islands, Myers said. Some wild tomato species have anthocyanins in their fruit, and until now, tomatoes grown in home gardens have had the beneficial pigment only in their leaves and stems, which are inedible.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2015   #21
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

A listing of the tomato species with anthocyanin
Old October 4, 2015   #22
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I would like.

Anything happening with the seeds I sent you for that other project?

Carolyn
All of my in ground plants were destroyed by spider mites. I have new plants started so i will do the crosses as soon as they start flowering. Oh and these ones will be segregated in containers.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."

Last edited by heirloomtomaguy; October 4, 2015 at 05:09 PM.
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2015   #23
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
Fred, I was glad to see that High Mowing Seeds is offering them. Since they offer free shipping in the US I will order from them. I always hate it when I only need one thing and the shipping is as much as the seeds.
Thanks Kay,
The prices are very reasonable. They also have some other good varieties as well.
So I know where to order my ICD seeds from.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2015   #24
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

High Mowing is a good outfit.
Old October 5, 2015   #25
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
High Mowing is a good outfit.
They are and if you only knew them when I did you'd know how far they've come/

Many many years ago, I think his name is Tim, along with another person from the Hudson Valley Seed Co drove from out from our area to Decorah IA to attend the SSE Summer campout and program and that's where I first met both of them .I was there b'c I'd been asked to do a seminar on you know what.

They didn't mix much with others so I didn't get a chance to know him well, but at the time his catalog was thin paper like newspaper and maybe about 6 inches tall and 4 wide.

There were many errors viz heirloom varieties, I did contact him about that and he did thank me for doing that.

Out of curiousity I did ask for a 2015 catalog and it is wonderful looking but about the same time the gall bladder stuff came up, and it's out in the front room where I seldom go now, but will ask someone to fetch it for me.

Lastly, I haven't had time to reread the link you put up about antho tomatoes and it was interesting as far as I read , especially about one of the species, which I've grown,and I will get back to you about that when I can.

Carolyn