Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 15, 2016   #16
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
The only skin that comes off during roasting in a tumbler is purely accidental. It takes tedious effort to peel the skins after roasting regardless of the roasting method. I've found the easiest...or least difficult peeling procedure is to leave the freshly roasted chiles in a sealed plastic garbage bag for an hour after roasting, and allow the heat and steam in the bag to help separate the peels from the meat. Then you can sit down and peel, transferring peeled peppers into quart freezer bags without seeding or rinsing. Seeding and rinsing dilutes the flavor (in my opinion). I do pull the stems out unless I'm saving whole peppers for rellenos. It takes me a couple of hours to peel and bag a bushel of peppers. If nitrile gloves aren't worn you can "feel the burn" for over a day.
God I love Tomatoville, a wealth of information!
I'll give this method a try and I plan on vacuum packing them after they are peeled,
then sold fresh or freeze them.
I just learned this method from a friend the other day. It is nice to see it confirmed here. I had gotten put off roasting peppers because of the annoyance of skinning them. Next summer will be a different experience.
Old February 15, 2016   #17
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I've always used the paper bag method but the plastic bag will probably work better. Thanks Salsacharley!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2016   #18
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Oven bags? May be helpful?
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2016   #19
TressJ
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
Oven bags? May be helpful?
They work great, that's what I use!
Old February 15, 2016   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

How do the factories get the skin off peppers?

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2016   #21
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Selling fresh roasted peppers is not something seen around here at our markets. Do people just lay the bags on the table or are they something that needs to be kept in a cooler.

Anybody happen to have a pic they are willing to share? I'd like to see what fresh roasted peppers look like.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2016   #22
pondgardener
Tomatovillian™

I believe roasted chile peppers are susceptible to bacteria forming after a number of hours, which is why they are frozen in bags after peeling for later use or as some have suggested, frozen first then peeled. The vendors here only roast an amount which they think they can sell in a short period of time or keep bushels of peppers on hand to be roasted per order. But once the aroma of roasting peppers fills the air, the demand usually exceeds the supply. The last photo in the link shows what the peeled peppers look like.

http://localfoods.about.com/od/prepa...es.htm#showall

Old Proverb
pondgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2016   #23
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Thanks pondgardener! : )

Looks good, but also looks like a lot of work if selling fresh at the market. Wonder how those folks keep up. Do folks eat them by the bowlful, or do they just get one or two peppers, like how homemade beef jerky is sold here for thin small slice for a buck each. I sure hope those folks who sell them get a good price.
Old February 16, 2016   #24
pondgardener
Tomatovillian™

People buy them by the bushel and prices start at about $30-35 dollars a bushel and up roasted. Hundreds and hundreds of acres are devoted to just chiles, hence the need for chile roasters. My wife and I get about 3-5 bushels roasted every year and freeze them for later use. What passes as green chile in other parts of the country is nothing compared to what is made in the southwest. Which is why when people move from this area, they arrange to have frozen green chile sent to where they end up.

Old Proverb
Old February 16, 2016   #25
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondgardener View Post
People buy them by the bushel and prices start at about $30-35 dollars a bushel and up roasted. Hundreds and hundreds of acres are devoted to just chiles, hence the need for chile roasters. My wife and I get about 3-5 bushels roasted every year and freeze them for later use. What passes as green chile in other parts of the country is nothing compared to what is made in the southwest. Which is why when people move from this area, they arrange to have frozen green chile sent to where they end up.
Amazing! Crazy question, please. I handle hot peppers with gloves on. Do folks wear some sort of protective mask from hot pepper fumes?
Old February 16, 2016   #26
pondgardener
Tomatovillian™

These roasters are all out in the open and the heat level is not anything like what you would expect from habanero's or ghost peppers. I have gassed myself after chopping up habanero's in a food processor but taking the same operation outside, it seems to have little effect. But you are correct about wearing gloves handling hot peppers. I learned the hard way, when I wore contacts, how much capsaicin is absorbed by your skin, even after rigorous washing.

Old Proverb
Old February 16, 2016   #27
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Thank you answering my question. Appreciate it!
Old February 17, 2016   #28
Ozark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TressJ View Post
Once I get to the point that I refuse to peel anymore I put the whole pepper as many as will fit in a quart bag (3-4), single layered and freeze them. When it's time to use them the peels slip right off as they start to defrost. mmm, I need some marinated grilled chicken with green chile and cheese on top.
That's exactly what my wife and I found! Last fall we bought a half-case of Hatch chiles and blistered the skins over the flame of a gas BBQ. Without de-seeding them or removing the skins we laid four chiles out straight in each quart freezer bag and froze them - each bag containing a future meal of two chiles rellenos for each of us.

We've been surprised and happy to find that as frozen, blistered chiles start to thaw the skins will slide right off. That makes things a whole lot easier.
Ozark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2016   #29
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

If you have a big enough freezer, lay them out on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and put it in the freezer. Once the peppers are frozen you can pile a bunch of them in a freezer bag. They'll stay separate and you can pull out only as many as you need.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2016   #30
Rue Barbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
I've always used the paper bag method but the plastic bag will probably work better. Thanks Salsacharley!
I put my roasted chilies into a large stainless steel stock pot, and cover with the lid. Works great, and the pot is open at the top so scorched peppers are easy to put into it as I work.

I roast the chilies on a gas stove top. I remove the regular metal grates and put grills from the bottom of the charcoal bbq. Those won't warp in direct flames, and gets the chilies closer to the flames for better 'charring'.

After the chilies have sweated a bit, I peel and deseed and freeze. I don't use water, but I don't want to mess with the seeds when thawing. That way I can put still slightly frozen chilies into whatever I am cooking.

Peeling is messy. I work on a stack of cut newspapers, and roll up and toss the top layer whenever needed.

I freeze them in sandwich bags filling only half way. These I put into heavier freezer bags in pairs.

Unfortunately the chilies are always ready to roast at the hottest time of the year, in part because I prefer the chilies to be turning red and at their prime. It's a long slog, but well worth it.

This year I'm planting so many plants, there will be more than enough to last the year. Numex Joe E. Parkers do best here. SoCal, zone 10.

Some of them are just starting to bloom now...
Rue Barbie is offline   Reply With Quote