Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 22, 2016   #16
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I have one plant going. Even though no one would buy it, I still grew it with the idea of having a giant ugly tomato to set on the market table as an attention-getting conversation piece.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2016   #17
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazedwards View Post
I am growing it this year and it just started having flowers.

They are crazy close together. No wonder they make such crazy looking tomatoes.

-Zach
What did the flowers look like at the ovary end? Did they have 1 common ovary or fused ovaries or something else? Have you ever emasculated a flower to see it?

http://backyardnature.net/fl_tomat.htm
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2016   #18
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Again, I've called it a novelty tomato, and still do,but more than that it shows the biological diversity of tomatoes, which to me is important.

It's one of a kind, no others like it,so Mark,no way to know any specific genes involved without expensive DNA restriction analyses.

And I wouldn't be interested in anything similar with EPB cherries fused to the outside,again,just my opinion.

Sometime I must ask Tania how she found out it was originally from Guatamala as indicated in her link.

Carolyn
Old June 22, 2016   #19
Kazedwards
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
What did the flowers look like at the ovary end? Did they have 1 common ovary or fused ovaries or something else? Have you ever emasculated a flower to see it?

It is the first flower on the plant. I haven't really looked at it since I took the picture. I emasculate one of the next ones. That is removing the anthers right?

-Zach
Old June 22, 2016   #20
Urbanheirlooms
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Here is a picture of my plant and a picture of the bloom. Mine appears to have a single bloom. I tried to get a closeup of the bloom, but my iphone would not focus.

Last edited by Urbanheirlooms; June 24, 2016 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Pictures are not showing
Urbanheirlooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2016   #21
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

LOL your hands look just like mine in a lot of my garden pics. Those are a tomato grower's hands.
Old June 22, 2016   #22
Urbanheirlooms
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
LOL your hands look just like mine in a lot of my garden pics. Those are a tomato grower's hands.
I am "giving my plants a haircut" meaning that I am pruning all of the non fruit bearing lower branches and pulling weeds as well. Between the green goo and dirt, my hands are pretty bad looking. I use gojo cleaner and it still won't come off!
Urbanheirlooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2016   #23
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I usually use Dawn. All of my towels are yellow this time of year.
Old June 22, 2016   #24
korney19

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Again, I've called it a novelty tomato, and still do,but more than that it shows the biological diversity of tomatoes, which to me is important.

It's one of a kind, no others like it,so Mark,no way to know any specific genes involved without expensive DNA restriction analyses.

And I wouldn't be interested in anything similar with EPB cherries fused to the outside,again,just my opinion.

Sometime I must ask Tania how she found out it was originally from Guatamala as indicated in her link.

Carolyn
When you look it up with the Voyage link, under History, it says German heirloom...then at the upper right of the page, under COUNTRY, it said Germany. Then, back to the Reistomate page, in the upper right box, it said Guatemala, then, under history, it says "German heirloom, but it originally came from Guatemala."

P.S. one of the reasons I mentioned Big Zac is because it often gets fused blossoms. It can be a way to get larger tomatoes for competitions.

Last edited by korney19; June 22, 2016 at 06:55 PM.
Old June 22, 2016   #25
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
When you look it up with the Voyage link, under History, it says German heirloom...then at the upper right of the page, under COUNTRY, it said Germany. Then, back to the Reistomate page, in the upper right box, it said Guatemala, then, under history, it says "German heirloom, but it originally came from Guatemala."

P.S. one of the reasons I mentioned Big Zac is because it often gets fused blossoms. It can be a way to get larger tomatoes for competitions.
Mark, based on my post above about this American woman who was working with Arche Noah,which is based in Germany, and they collected tomato varieties from many nearby European contries to build up their acquisitions, I'm of the opinion that indeed it probably is a German variety,but can't even comment intelligently on the possibility it was a German heirloom in the sense that it was grown by individuals and passed on to others, re generations.

Carolyn
Old June 23, 2016   #26
korney19

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Mark, based on my post above about this American woman who was working with Arche Noah,which is based in Germany, and they collected tomato varieties from many nearby European contries to build up their acquisitions, I'm of the opinion that indeed it probably is a German variety,but can't even comment intelligently on the possibility it was a German heirloom in the sense that it was grown by individuals and passed on to others, re generations.

Carolyn
Carolyn, I'm not an SSE member, can you tell what the very first spelling was? So far, I have seen:

Reisetomate
Riesetomate
Riesentomate
Reisentomate

And because of this I always think of Riesentraube, which I've often spelled incorrectly, and always thought it may have been related. I see when typed here, 2 of the spellings above have red underlines as if they were spelled incorrectly! I guess they don't work with the old saying, "'I' before 'E', except after 'C.'" I will have to remember the statement's true for Riesentraube, but not for Reisetomate! LOL. Riesetomate AND Reisentomate are the two that are shown misspelled!
Old June 23, 2016   #27
shule1

Some people apparently love the taste of this tomato. I'm guessing it tastes better in certain localities. I have it on order for next year. I have a feeling may taste good here, at least when it's hot and dry. It's fairly early for how much the fruit weighs.
Old June 23, 2016   #28
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Carolyn, I'm not an SSE member, can you tell what the very first spelling was? So far, I have seen:

Reisetomate
Riesetomate
Riesentomate
Reisentomate

And because of this I always think of Riesentraube, which I've often spelled incorrectly, and always thought it may have been related. I see when typed here, 2 of the spellings above have red underlines as if they were spelled incorrectly! I guess they don't work with the old saying, "'I' before 'E', except after 'C.'" I will have to remember the statement's true for Riesentraube, but not for Reisetomate! LOL. Riesetomate AND Reisentomate are the two that are shown misspelled!
The original and correct spelling is as Tania has it

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Reisetomate

Rie as a prefix refers to Riesentraube and the two are not related

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Riesentraube

I hope that clears it up for you.

Carolyn
Old June 23, 2016   #29
shule1

Sometimes Reisetomate is also referred to as Traveler or Brain, it seems.
Old June 23, 2016   #30
shule1

I guess it's later and smaller for some people than others, though (unless it's a difference in strain). The source I was looking at said 76 days, 10-15oz! That's a lot different than what Tatiana's says. Maybe they're counting each attached tomato as its own tomato with the 2-4oz and 1-3oz weights.

Last edited by shule1; June 23, 2016 at 06:01 PM.