Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 21, 2016   #16
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hntrss View Post
I am in NY and a lot of people are having the same problem. I was told by a neighbor that when there is drought conditions the Racoons will take just ripened fruit for the water content. That's why there are multiple partially eaten fruits each time there is an attack. Interesting theory anyway..
Thanks, no racoons here in the city, at least not my street but I think there's a skunk nearby, and a big fat groundhog walked between my legs once in the driveway, but that was 5-10 years ago!
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2016   #17
korney19

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Put a pan of water out... far away from your plants. maybe that would help lure them away. Hang a milk jug over it with a pinhole to let water drip out making a bit of water noise, too.
Thanks Carolyn, but my yard is almost all garden...yarden! I have everything mapped out to the nearest 2 inches--I have less than 3 ft between the last tomato plant & my old race car; less than 2ft from the car to my lettuce & onions. The furthest away would be closest to the house and within reach of the dog. I have water out and when I distract the dog to the driveway, I see sparrows and wrens land on the lip of the dog's water and dip down for a sip!
Old August 21, 2016   #18
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
Thanks, no racoons here in the city, at least not my street but I think there's a skunk nearby, and a big fat groundhog walked between my legs once in the driveway, but that was 5-10 years ago!
You would be quite shocked at the wildlife in the city. Mostly it comes out at nighttime while we are asleep.
Put out a game camera if you can beg barrow or buy one to get a real view of what visits your yarden at night.
Old August 21, 2016   #19
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

The chew marks look like those caused by a squirrel or some other small mouth critter. Don't discount a groundhog but probably not. Their bite leaves a more irregular pattern. My best time to pop a hog has been 11am to 1pm. Squirrels are most active early and late in the day. 22 sub sonic rounds are quiet enough for the city if you're so inclined.
We have had 3 plus weeks of wetter than normal weather and the groundhogs have become very active. Took 2 breeders and a juvenile since Friday.
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2016   #20
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

For ground squirrels I have had good luck with Squirrelinator traps. Currently $40.30 at Amazon, a price that won't last for long. I couldn't resist the price so I purchased a second trap. Between the Squirrelinator and Havaheart I have trapped a dozen squirrels this year. A neighbor has 58 squirrels so far this year with the Squirrelinator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
If you can find a good bait station get it and set it out for rats and mice. It is probably rats and they will return every night and leave you with nothing. I tried all kind of things but nothing worked til I got a bait station. The reason you need a bait station is to stop dogs or cats from eating the rat poison. Even if it is just mice the station will get them just be sure to use the smaller pellet rat and mice bait and keep it filled for a few days according to the instructions that come with it. Usually it takes about two days and then you will start finding some dead rats or mice.

If it is squirrels the only thing that really works is shooting them and that can be difficult in town. Like rats they are smart and not easy to trap and if you do trap one then you probably won't trap many more. Chipmunks, possums and raccoons can also do damage so a good dog or cat can help keep them out but then again some dogs love tomatoes also.

Bill
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2016   #21
Susan66
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
Thanks for replying Susan. I can rule out moles & voles because all these are in containers, except the Cherokee Purple which is in a raised bed.

Where about are you, and are you coming to our 10th anniversary of the Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest this coming weekend? I may not have any tomatoes to bring!
I live and garden in the Town of Colden, up on the hill east of the hamlet. And yes, I plan to come to the Buffalo-Niagara TasteFest. I was sent an invite by Remy. I am abandoning my sister, since she plans to go to the Orchid Society picnic. She can go with a friend. I'll be brave and venture the Grand Island bridge. (Scarey thing!)

Yeah, even if you come up with a solution to the rodent problem, there's not much time. Wrap the pots in bird netting?
Susan
Susan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2016   #22
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Raised containers or pots do not deter the mole/voles. I have put traps in pots in my greenhouse this Summer. They have benn burrowing in the pots... I think looking for moisture. They have been a total pain in the butt this year. killing off and ruining plants left and right in the high tunnel.
Old August 22, 2016   #23
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuspaul View Post
For ground squirrels I have had good luck with Squirrelinator traps. Currently $40.30 at Amazon, a price that won't last for long. I couldn't resist the price so I purchased a second trap. Between the Squirrelinator and Havaheart I have trapped a dozen squirrels this year. A neighbor has 58 squirrels so far this year with the Squirrelinator.
Your squirrels are sure a lot dumber than the ones around here.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2016   #24
Bulldog
Tomatovillian™

Squirrels, ground squirrels, everywhere. Last year, bird netting covering the plants completely, nor small screen hardware cloth open at the top helped at all. Here they eat the green tomatoes, too. Wonder if I could make a PVC cage around every plant........
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2016   #25
korney19

I set out 2 different snap traps, one where 2 containers were attacked, and one at 4 feet high in a cramped lean-to attachment on the back of the house where a dozen or so plants never made it to containers or raised beds--4 or 5 were stripped of their ripe fruits; all were in solo cups or tray cells and watered regularly and about 3ft tall.

Let's hope it's not my neighbor a few houses down who did some welding on my yard cart for me, to be paid off in veggies, but by me, not himself taking what he wants!

Maybe it's time to put the motion-activated Scarecrow back out!
Old August 23, 2016   #26
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

Dark color didn't deter the mice either,they love my indigo rose tomatoes.
They seem to ignore the yellow varieties tho, knock wood, even tomatoes making contact with the ground.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2016   #27
korney19

Day after setting snap traps, score 0-0. I trap however was moved, snapped, and all the peanut butter gone.

Yesterday, reset the trap near the southern-most tomatoes, today, MaterMark 1, rat 0! I had stuck a kernel of raw Honey Select Triplesweet corn on the peanut butter. Interesting note, found it a few feet away from where I placed the trap! That's about 12 feet from the crawl space of the vacant house...
Old August 24, 2016   #28
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

There is no cure for squirrels other than trapping.
I have dealt wit rats. Like trap worked best. Rats baits work too if it is ok with you. I used to make my own bait, Plaster of Paris, baking soda, cor meal, aspiring powder,

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2016   #29
korney19

SCORE
MaterMark 4
Rats..........1
(got another New Big Dwarf...)
Old August 29, 2016   #30
korney19

SCORE
MaterMark 6
Rats............1
Thank God tomorrow's garbage day, opening the lid on the tote gave me a burst of ammonia smell. Maybe if it were Spring I'd use them as fertilizer under a bee balm plant...Wonder how they'd do in containers...