Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 26, 2022   #16
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Re: raccoons, I've found temporary electric fence completely effective. Even battery powered works, though you have to be more vigilant keeping weeds off the wires. For raccoons I run two strands, one about 3" off the ground, and another one 6" off the ground. I also have bears, so I run a third strand about 24-30" up, high enough to be effective, but low enough that I can step over it. I had almost given up growing corn before I stumbled across this technique. I only need to put the fence in just before the corn ripens, and take it down right after I've picked all I can or want, so it isn't in the way very much, or very long.
Old April 26, 2022   #17
ac21686
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
People asking for SQ reminds me of when I was a kid -- everyone around here wanted Country Gentleman. It was very hard to find even then (1950's). So what is your favorite White variety now? I used to grow "How Sweet it Is" and thought it was very good, but I've given up growing corn to feed to the raccoons!
Eden, Glacial, and Avalon are fantastic. Eden and Glacial are two of the very few varieties rated as 5 stars for eating quality by Rupp Seeds. I'd have to agree. I haven't tried the Quad Sweets yet, though I'm not sure they have a white variety out. We don't want to go back and forth with the customer, but we could have any of these varieties in stock and when customers ask for Silver Queen and swear up and down it is superior to other corn, I quietly nod along, bag up some corn for them, and they'll be back asking for more These same customers think that white kernels are sweeter than yellow. What can you do?
ac21686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2022   #18
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

This is the first year I planted corn from Transplants for my Crop Rotation. Even the rain helped me out. But I also planted a grow with my heirloom Corn seeds; just in case after the rain, a row appeared in front of my transplants.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2022   #19
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

I bought some Ferry Morse Peaches and Cream corn seeds to plant in the fall. Only had 2 choices, Golden Bantum being the other one. Hope I made the right choice.

I stopped growing corn because of raccoons also. After they finished with the corn they hung around a took care of the watermelon and cantaloupe. The one time I grew it in the fall didn't have a problem.
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2022   #20
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
I bought some Ferry Morse Peaches and Cream corn seeds to plant in the fall. Only had 2 choices, Golden Bantum being the other one. Hope I made the right choice.

I stopped growing corn because of raccoons also. After they finished with the corn they hung around a took care of the watermelon and cantaloupe. The one time I grew it in the fall didn't have a problem.
Hello from Angel Field

That one time you had success' did you have any hot peppers growing near-by your corn?
Old April 28, 2022   #21
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJustice View Post
Hello from Angel Field

That one time you had success' did you have any hot peppers growing near-by your corn?

I did not have hot peppers planted. I just figure by that time they had made their home somewhere else and plenty of corn fields in the area with corn growing at that time. Maybe it was just luck. At least if I plant for fall harvest the melons will be out of danger. Maybe

I notice your Golden Bantam is heirloom and the Ferry Morse Golden Bantam is hybrid. Do you just get one ear on the heirloom corn?
Old April 29, 2022   #22
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I did not have hot peppers planted. I just figure by that time they had made their home somewhere else and plenty of corn fields in the area with corn growing at that time. Maybe it was just luck. At least if I plant for fall harvest the melons will be out of danger. Maybe

I notice your Golden Bantam is heirloom and the Ferry Morse Golden Bantam is hybrid. Do you just get one ear on the heirloom corn?
My Golden Batam is a pure heirloom, and I get about 2-3 ear per plant. They grow very tall and need full sunlight. Best produced if you pull the Tressel out on top. Purely Native American Corn.
Old May 2, 2022   #23
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJustice View Post
My Golden Batam is a pure heirloom, and I get about 2-3 ear per plant. They grow very tall and need full sunlight. Best produced if you pull the Tressel out on top. Purely Native American Corn.

That is impressive Mrs J. I have been trying to get away from hybrids and switch to all heirloom. Have been successful except I have not found any heirloom pepper that grows as well as King Arthur. You never know these days when the government might decide we cannot buy seeds anymore I think in one or two states they already have passed laws where only a licensed dealer can sell seeds.
Old May 2, 2022   #24
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Correction, no laws passed yet on seeds, but just give it time. They are in the process of trying to take over the world food supply and seeds will no doubt be part of that

MISSOULA, Mont. — Montana Department of Agriculture officials urge people to make sure seeds and plant materials are sourced from licensed dealers and nurseries.
State scientists said it's critical to ensure Montana's gardeners and farmers protect crop quality.

https://nbcmontana.com/news/local/mo...planting-seeds
Old May 2, 2022   #25
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Correction, no laws passed yet on seeds, but just give it time. They are in the process of trying to take over the world food supply and seeds will no doubt be part of that

MISSOULA, Mont. — Montana Department of Agriculture officials urge people to make sure seeds and plant materials are sourced from licensed dealers and nurseries.
State scientists said it's critical to ensure Montana's gardeners and farmers protect crop quality.

https://nbcmontana.com/news/local/mo...planting-seeds
Well, It's my Mission to get people farming again, and saving their own seed supply. We need young people to learn the secrets of farming here in America to produce our Food From America, as well. I pray no one takes away the Freedom to Save Seeds and grow your own food, Amen!!!!.