Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old January 14, 2013   #286
Levent
Tomatovillian™

You can do it before or after,it doesn't matter.Personally I prefer sowing the seeds at first moistening the medium later.Sowing seeds in dry diatomite is easier than handling wet and sticky particules.

Last edited by Levent; January 14, 2013 at 12:48 PM.
Levent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2013   #287
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoParrott View Post
I have one more question for someone who has had experience with DE... When I get ready to sow seeds in my 5oz plastic cups, should I moisten the DE before filling the cups or after the seeds are in?
From what I have found to work best I think you should start your seed in smaller containers and then pot them up later using potting soil. It is much easier to bottom water small containers like the bottom half of egg cartons. It is much better to start your seed into the wet DE and then while it is still in the bottom watering container sprinkle some DE over the seed and let it become wet. One thing to keep in mind is the DE is much easier to level before it gets wet. Once wet it is clingy and isn't easy to smooth out. Another thing to watch out for it to make sure your DE is wet when you transplant or it will fall away from the roots.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2013   #288
JoParrott

Thanks so much, both of you. I have started saving cardboard egg containers and will use those to do the sowing.
Old January 14, 2013   #289
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Jo make sure that the holes you put in the bottom of the containers are small or the DE will fall out or come out when watering. I use a small drill bit on my rechargeable drill and put 4 or 5 small holes in each egg cup. I stack them and do 4 or 5 cartons at a time. The first time I used DE I had holes that were slightly too large and some of my plants lost all or some of the DE each time I watered them.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2013   #290
JoParrott

OK- thanks- will make sure to do small holes!
Old January 14, 2013   #291
BruceinGa
Tomatovillian™

The way that I understood it was to start seeds DE in a 6 cell tray or larger. Once they get their true leaves then transplant them in your 5 oz cup with some blend of potting soil.
Am I understanding this correctly?

oops, didn't read recent posts before I replied.
BruceinGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2013   #292
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Happy to know that DE can be re-used if you heat it. I was wondering if I could mix the DE left over in the egg cartons into the next batch of egg cartons or even the 5oz cups! Now I know.

What size drill bit did you use for your small holes b54red? I suppose the same sized holes need to be used in the 5 oz cups too, since my plan is to grow the seedlings in DE also.

Does anyone use a small wicking cloth, or cotton yarn in the 5 oz cups or just the passive action of watering from the bottom?
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2013   #293
JoParrott

From my short experience the DE wicks water very well, and I don't plan to do anything else to help it. I think DE is going to be the best seed starting medium I have ever found. I am SO anxious for the time to come for me to get started!
Old January 14, 2013   #294
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Me too. I've been following this thread and love hearing everyone's experience with DE. I have two egg cartons so far! One 18 and one 12. Yeah. We have been eating yogurt and Italian ices for weeks now just so I have some nice size cups. I may end up potting up twice, but that's ok. I"ll have only about 50 plants, 2 or 3 of a variety.

Hope I don't get them mixed up!
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2013   #295
JoParrott

zeroma, make some good labels while you have the time- I buy cheap white plastic knives and use a fine point permanent marker. I use a very small drill bit- probably ablou 1/16" or so-to make holes in the cardboard egg cartons. for anything plastic I use an old woodburner tool.
Old January 15, 2013   #296
nathan125
Tomatovillian™

bought some DE today, they also sell a 40lb 100% DE bag for like seven bucks, i bought smaller bag.
hope to start sometime this week.
is there an advantage to using a blend of DE and compost when starting seeds?
does the DE have a purpose after seed starting, can i put more in when i pot up?
nathan125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2013   #297
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I have been watching this thread with great anticipation as well. Last week I started early spring crops: celery, 2 varities brussels sprouts, Imperial Artichoke (for northern climates) and Early Treat tomatoes. I had heat only at night as my heat mat is plugged into the same outlet with lights for citrus trees. Despite the challenging heat situation, I have had excellent germination, and they look especially happy at the moment. The product I used was Kitty Diggins kitty litter from Wal Mart, 99 cents for a bag, enough for two flats. - Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2013   #298
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan125 View Post
bought some DE today, they also sell a 40lb 100% DE bag for like seven bucks, i bought smaller bag.
hope to start sometime this week.
is there an advantage to using a blend of DE and compost when starting seeds?
does the DE have a purpose after seed starting, can i put more in when i pot up?
Give it a try, I''ve mixed DE with coir and DE and a peat based mix (Jiffy Mix) for my onion starts to see what happens compared to straight DE and straight Jiffy Mix.
I'm only 2 weeks along but things are looking good.
DE and compost and DE and worm castings are other mixes I want to try later.

When you're potting up mix the DE in with your soil. You can also put in the soil in your containers or beds. You can also reuse it to start more seeds.

Last edited by RayR; January 16, 2013 at 11:18 AM. Reason: typo
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2013   #299
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
I have been watching this thread with great anticipation as well. Last week I started early spring crops: celery, 2 varities brussels sprouts, Imperial Artichoke (for northern climates) and Early Treat tomatoes. I had heat only at night as my heat mat is plugged into the same outlet with lights for citrus trees. Despite the challenging heat situation, I have had excellent germination, and they look especially happy at the moment. The product I used was Kitty Diggins kitty litter from Wal Mart, 99 cents for a bag, enough for two flats. - Lisa
I use Kitty Diggins in my cat litter boxes I haven't tried it for seed starting.
It's made by Oil Dri Corp for Walmart. The bag only says it made of Fullers Earth but I found out on Oil Dri's web site that what they call Fullers Earth is actually calcined Attapulgite clay, a type of non-swelling bentonite. PH is supposed to be 6.0, I'll have to test the PH myself to see if it's the same stuff they sell as AGSORB.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2013   #300
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levent View Post
C. annuum 'Nosegay' This one is the smallest chilli sort.
I would say that I succeeded to grow it in diatomite under lights.However it was not a hard work!
I took the photo today.

DE testers:
How soon after germination will the seedlings require introduction of nutrients? Since I assume the DE will only take it so far.

Thanks
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote