Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 31, 2019   #3001
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

For us in Central Florida, a high of 90 expected today, one of the warmest Halloweens I remember. We keep waiting for temps to drop. A low of 59 possible overnight Saturday, which sounds wonderful. I have to be away overnight (dog-sitting for a friend) and I hope my seedlings will be ok without being babied. The Facebook groups for local gardening are a lot of complaints and speculations about when it will be ok to plant carrots, salad greens, etc.
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2019   #3002
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Happy Halloween! 6 inches of snow and it's still coming. It's a Jack Skellington kind of holiday. Trick or Treat has been cancelled due to the weather. Gotta go buy some candy canes to pass out for this holiday.
Old October 31, 2019   #3003
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Don, our trees here in PA were very late this year; about 2-3 weeks late.

Raining & windy for trick or treaters right now.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2019   #3004
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I froze my tail off today and had to stand in a fire pump room testing with the fire marshal.
All of this on the north side of the building in the shade of all things with the wind howling in.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2019   #3005
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Wind makes the cold intolerable!
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2019   #3006
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

60 mph winds here now
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2019   #3007
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

This morning, 28 degrees and 28 mph wind. Most of my garden plants are just hanging limp. It's supposed to be a little colder tonight, but very low winds. I have no idea if this is accurate, but it always seems to me frosty weather seems less damaging if the wind is blowing a little. Below frosty into freezing weather, it doesn't matter if the wind is blowing or not.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2019   #3008
bower
Tomatovillian™

We often see our first flakes of snow or sleet on Halloween and Nov 1, but yesterday was lovely, and today we had close to record high temperatures across the island - we hit 62 F here. Winds though are 37 mph gusting 58 mph as of my last check on the weather office. But the wind is not cold either, with the dew point a respectable 56 F.

I was so shocked to see the greenhouse temp over 60, I decided to leave the Rodneys for another day. The rest were cut two days ago, whether blushing or green, on account of not getting over 54 F for days in a row. And also because the 31st is our last day with 10 hours of daylight - which they say is the minimum for veggies to grow. We won't see ten hours again until Feb 10.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2019   #3009
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

The first killing frost of the season is out there doing its thing as I write this. Got my harvest in this past Wednesday.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2019   #3010
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Supposed to hit 31 here tonight. We had a light frost about 2 weeks back or more, but tonight I gathered up everything I could.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2019   #3011
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

the paper said snow showers today, less than an inch of snow accumulation.

we have 4 to 5 inches on the ground right now. whoops.

keith
Old November 3, 2019   #3012
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

We've had the first two days of light scattered frost, lows around 36. On the two bean beds we took off the deer netting and put row cover over them and I draped a few old bed sheets over the peppers. I've picked about 3 lbs of beans so far with lots more in the making and a ton of flowers but I'm afraid the cold nights and shorter days might call a halt to that. They got planted late due to the heat so they're late finishing.

In my e-mail I receive blog postings from Jackie Clay. She and her husband are homesteaders who run a small garden seed business and they're located in northern Minnesota, up near the Canadian border. They've already had light snow here and there while trying to get all their garden stuff in so they can save seed for the business and put up a lot of that food for the winter.

Anyway, she said this the other day:

"Beaver forecast: Our beavers have finally given us a heads-up. They say it’s going to be a long, cold and snowy winter. They not only built up their dam early but have stockpiled tons of willow and poplar brush, anchored in the bottom mud of the pond, right off the front of their lodge. (And I was so hoping it would be a nice mild winter…) Alas, that’s not going to happen. The beavers haven’t been wrong yet. "

GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2019   #3013
imp
Tomatovillian™

Beavers for winter time and mesquites for the last frost in spring. I like reading Jackie Clay's stuff.
Old November 8, 2019   #3014
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

we are full on winter weather here.
snowing every day. the marquette/munising area got a big dumping of snow, supposed to be in the 8 to 12 inch range. my area got about 3 inches.
it is one cold bugger out there right now. 17 degrees when i took my son to raiders at the school at 6:30 this am. we are stuck in a cold snowy spell. temps won't get above the 20s range for awhile. it could be a loooong winter.

keith
Old November 8, 2019   #3015
matereater
Tomatovillian™

"it could be a loooong winter."
Sure hope not keith. were about 25 degrees colder than the norm for this time of year here and it doesnt look to let up anytime soon.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote