Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 25, 2017   #301
mjc
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Very misleading marketing...and confusing.
That's the nature of the marketing business...
mjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2017   #302
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Brandy Boy is producing now!! We pick about a tray full every other day currently!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7oGiKTSFRGCh0B%Uxnvj9g_thumb_6cde.jpg (213.9 KB, 134 views)
Hudson_WY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2017   #303
mjc
Tomatovillian™

Wow, mine are no where near that far along. They basically are just setting the first fruit. I've got weeks to go yet.

But I did bag and tag an unopened bunch of flowers, so I'll be saving those seeds.
mjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2017   #304
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Awesome looking haul! How many plants are there that you are picking them.
Old June 30, 2017   #305
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

I just sowed a whole packet, big pinks here I come.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2017   #306
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Awesome looking haul! How many plants are there that you are picking them.

Clkeiper - we have 10 Brandy Boy plants in our Greenhouse. BTW - we found no difference in production or taste between the Brandy Boy F1(s) and the Brandy Boy F2. The Brandy Boy variety does appear to be stabilized from our experience growing an F2 this year.
Old June 30, 2017   #307
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

thanks. I have about 15 in the hightunnel just green though. I planted on April 22 this year. between the 4 rows I have in there (100 plants) I will be very busy here pretty soon.
Old June 30, 2017   #308
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Hudson, that is awesome .
I have just 2 Brandy Boy plants and get a lot of tomatoes.

Folks ! Now that is established that Brandy Boy is actually an OP, save seeds and spread the news.
I, for myself, find no reason to grow any pink Brandywine variety anymore. The fruits are almost identical, taste the same BUT Brandy Boy beats them all in productions hands down.
Infact, I won,t grow any pink tomato , eg, like Mortgage Lifter either. I have one right now.
This is of course a personal choice.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2017   #309
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I don't have the time to read all of this thread, but wanted to give a link about Brandy Boy F1 that appeared earlier in this thread as to what it really might be.

Please read the links within the link below.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=39977

Carolyn
Old June 30, 2017   #310
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I don't have the time to read all of this thread, but wanted to give a link about Brandy Boy F1 that appeared earlier in this thread as to what it really might be.

Please read the links within the link below.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=39977

Carolyn
Thanks for that link. And a question -- would "F1" be the correct term for a variety that Burpee itself describes as a "stabilized hybrid"? That's the phrase their horticulturalist used to describe Brandy Boy when I called their customer service department earlier this month. Also, Tania's Tomatobase describes Brandy Boy as "de-hybridized": http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Brandy_Boy
I'm thinking that "de-hybridized" and "stabilized hybrid" mean the same thing... and that neither term refers to an F1 hybrid.
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2017   #311
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonValley View Post
Thanks for that link. And a question -- would "F1" be the correct term for a variety that Burpee itself describes as a "stabilized hybrid"? That's the phrase their horticulturalist used to describe Brandy Boy when I called their customer service department earlier this month. Also, Tania's Tomatobase describes Brandy Boy as "de-hybridized": http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Brandy_Boy
I'm thinking that "de-hybridized" and "stabilized hybrid" mean the same thing... and that neither term refers to an F1 hybrid.
Burpee itself describes it as a hybrid,which I think almost all would equate with an F1.

I think maybe 4th link down on the following link,just a short term memory problem here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Bran...&bih=790&dpr=1

And I hope you did read all the links I gave above and someone asked Burpee about it since it was said that Better Boy F1 was one of the parents and in that link and it was pointed out that genetically that couldn't be for the reasons given.

I remember that Bill Jeffers,aka Travis here,called to ask a question, and the response was something like we don't give out secrets.

George Ball of the huge Ball Co in I think Chicago bought out the former owners of Burpee and ran it into the ground and actually had to file for bankruptcy.

I haven't checked the dates but Burpee was contracting out for I think Peto Seed to create F1 hybrids for them,but they have since,just a few years ago, hired new hybridizers at their place in PA and are mostly doing their own now.

I also remember that when George Ball was there they put out a separate catalog just for heirloom varieties, and was that ever a mess with so much wrong information.One of the varieties was called Bucks Country Red, it is Buck's county in PA where they are and calledit an F1, and now I've for gotten the rest of the story,but I ordered a 6 pack of the Bucks F1,also seeds,and whatever that variety was I also had seeds of the original and saw no darn difference at all.

Many folks still make the connection of Burpee and WWII and Victory gardens that were planted at that time. Somewhere I have two Burpee catalogs from that time, both from a then neighbor near our farm. 25 cents for 25 seeds,WOW.

Carolyn
Old June 30, 2017   #312
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Burpee itself describes it as a hybrid,which I think almost all would equate with an F1.
I agree that most of us would assume that "hybrid" refers to an F1, but when I called Burpee I asked specifically whether Brandy Boy was an F1 hybrid or a stabilized hybrid. The horticulturalist's answer was that it was a stabilized hybrid, as I posted upthread.
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2017   #313
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

"Hybrid " is a loose term. It can mean that a given variety has two known parents. It can go back as many generation as you want. For example : Brandy Boy is a descendant of Brandywine and Better Boy.. How many years ago was that ? Did they cross those in 2016 to produce seeds for 2017 ? Or because it is sable they don't bother crossing them anymore. The latter seems to be the case.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2017   #314
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
"Hybrid " is a loose term. It can mean that a given variety has two known parents. It can go back as many generation as you want. For example : Brandy Boy is a descendant of Brandywine and Better Boy.. How many years ago was that ? Did they cross those in 2016 to produce seeds for 2017 ? Or because it is sable they don't bother crossing them anymore. The latter seems to be the case.
It only makes economic sense Gardeneer. There is the definition of a Hybrid - Burpee would be crazy to market Brandy Boy in any other way than as a hybrid - IMO. And then there is the practical and cost effective way of producing seeds for Brandy Boy year after year. To dehybridize seems only logical. The results from growing f2-f∞ as experienced by myself and other contributing growers appears to confirm that Brandy Boy has been stabilized. Burpee also admitted it to HudsonValley when she called to inquire.

Last edited by Hudson_WY; July 1, 2017 at 12:59 AM.
Old July 1, 2017   #315
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Oh my gosh !!! - My wife has figured out how to capture in bottles of Tomato Juice - The wonderful Brandy Boy - Brandywine Sudduth - Brandywine Cowlick's taste to experience all year long!!

We collect ripe tomatoes on the counter until there are enough to freeze in a large Tupperware bowl (a bowl at a time). Then she cuts them up in the bowl and freezes them for a week or two until she has enough to bottle a batch (two bowls = eight quarts). She sets the bowls of frozen tomatoes on the counter to thaw and then dumps out 4 cups from the two bowls (2 cups from each bowl) of the most watery liquid. The freezing and thawing of the tomatoes is an important step as it gets rid of 4 cups of water that would otherwise dilute the tomato juice and flavor. Then she runs the tomatoes through a juicer and processes the juice. I was totally excited when I tasted the juice!! The wonderful heirloom zangy old fashioned tomato taste is as strong in the juice as it is with a sliced Brandy Boy tomato eaten off a plate!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R+3gLKF5T%iBXHe2aCIL%w_thumb_6cf6.jpg (244.2 KB, 76 views)