Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 28, 2011   #301
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Worth, my good friend, look what you did. You said I'd get $6, not $6,000 and I assure you I can't be had that cheaply.

After all, I have four pristine copies of the book here at home and said earlier in the thread that I was waiting for the price to go up. But if you feel you can get $10,000/book then I'm upping the ante to $50,000/book, I should live so long.
Whoops I meant Carolyn gets $6,000 (thousand).

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2011   #302
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbert 54 View Post
Chère Carolyn,
Vous retrouver sur ce forum me fait très plaisir après si longtemps.
Je me souviens de cette époque avec nostalgie
j'étais alors en plein dans ma collection de tomates et autres légumes et
il n'y avait pas internet à l'époque, je passais mon temps entre le jardin et la correspondance
avec de nombreux autres passionnés de plantes et c'était vraiment un plaisir après de
longues recherches de trouver quelqu'un avec qui faire des échanges.
maintenant avec les forums on peut se parler ,c'est bien aussi ,mais je regrette quand même les années 90
à bientôt
Thank you Norbert, that was very kind of you and I'm just as glad to meet you again after all these years.

This thread about my book is just as good a place as any to ask you a question that has been talked about a lot as to the spelling of a variety name.

Let's go back to 1992. You sent the seeds, usually 5-7 seeds for each variety, taped to graph paper, it was clear tape, and underneath each of the different seeds you PRINTED the name so it was easier to read.

I tried to faithfully copy down what you wrote but there's been controversy about one of them as to the spelling.

I wrote down Cuostralee. Some folks say there is no "uo" in French and others will then write some French words that DO have "uo" as part of the word.

Is Cuostralee correct or did I make a mistake in reading your printing?

In my book at the back where I indicate my seed sources for the varieties here's what I wrote:

Cuostralee: Unknown ( OS).. that means that the OS, original source, is not known nor any history... Norbert Parreira,Hellimer, France (MS)..... and the MS means you were MY SEED source.

That's one of the reasons I tried to reach you by writing to your address in Hellimer. I was trying to find out what you knew about the history of Cuostralee and many of the other varieties.

I just had to pick varieties off your long list with just names and I know Bill and Joe and I compared our lists so that we wouldn't be asking for the same varieties. But one of the ones I picked was a real surprise and that was Dourne D' Hiver. Wonderful coloration, small oval, but never ripens because it must have the rin or nor genes and I almost had to take an axe to get at the seeds. This past Spring I sent some 1993 seeds of it to a hybridizer because he was looking for nor or rin mutants and he was able to get up a few seeds but it was a bad season where he was and I don't think he got any mature seeds from them.

Right now I can't even remember how you knew about Craig and Joe and Bill and myself, but it must have been through an SSE YEarbook since Bill Minkey has never had a computer and still doesn't, and doesn't want one.

Thanks so very much for allowing us to distribute initially in the US the many wonderful varieties we got from you and I have no idea at all what we sent to you in return. My memory at age 72 is still pretty good, but not that good.

OK, now don't laugh too hard but I remembered the whole phrase I used to know which was ......omlette jambon avec Pommes Frite. And I also knew jevoudrais une chambre pour une jeaune fille. PLEASE IGNORE the spelling. Yes, I've been to France, a couple of times. But I can do better with German and Latin, to a certain degree as in.... Caesar geht trans flumen mit frumentum. , Hic est viper in herba, Sic transit gloria mundi, Carthago delenda est, and the like.
Old December 28, 2011   #303
norbert 54
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thank you Norbert, that was very kind of you and I'm just as glad to meet you again after all these years.

This thread about my book is just as good a place as any to ask you a question that has been talked about a lot as to the spelling of a variety name.

Let's go back to 1992. You sent the seeds, usually 5-7 seeds for each variety, taped to graph paper, it was clear tape, and underneath each of the different seeds you PRINTED the name so it was easier to read.

I tried to faithfully copy down what you wrote but there's been controversy about one of them as to the spelling.

I wrote down Cuostralee. Some folks say there is no "uo" in French and others will then write some French words that DO have "uo" as part of the word.

In my book at the back where I indicate my seed sources for the varieties here's what I wrote:

Cuostralee: Unknown ( OS).. that means that the OS, original source, is not known nor any history... Norbert Parreira,Hellimer, France (MS)..... and the MS means you were MY SEED source.

That's one of the reasons I tried to reach you by writing to your address in Hellimer. I was trying to find out what you knew about the history of Cuostralee and many of the other varieties.

I just had to pick varieties off your long list with just names and I know Bill and Joe and I compared our lists so that we wouldn't be asking for the same varieties. But one of the ones I picked was a real surprise and that was Dourne D' Hiver. Wonderful coloration, small oval, but never ripens because it must have the rin or nor genes and I almost had to take an axe to get at the seeds. This past Spring I sent some 1993 seeds of it to a hybridizer because he was looking for nor or rin mutants and he was able to get up a few seeds but it was a bad season where he was and I don't think he got any mature seeds from them.

Right now I can't even remember how you knew about Craig and Joe and Bill and myself, but it must have been through an SSE YEarbook since Bill Minkey has never had a computer and still doesn't, and doesn't want one.

Thanks so very much for allowing us to distribute initially in the US the many wonderful varieties we got from you and I have no idea at all what we sent to you in return. My memory at age 72 is still pretty good, but not that good.

OK, now don't laugh too hard but I remembered the whole phrase I used to know which was ......omlette jambon avec Pommes Frite. And I also knew jevoudrais une chambre pour une jeaune fille. PLEASE IGNORE the spelling. Yes, I've been to France, a couple of times. But I can do better with German and Latin, to a certain degree as in.... Caesar geht trans flumen mit frumentum. , Hic est viper in herba, Sic transit gloria mundi, Carthago delenda est, and the like.
pour CUOSTRALEE JE VAIS CHERCHER DANS MES ARCHIVES COMMENT JE L'AI OBTENUE ET JE VOUS TIENS AU COURANT
J'AIMERAIS TE TUTOYER MAIS LE TU N'EXISTE PAS EN ANGLAIS? JE CROIS!!
pour les variétés que tu m'as envoyé voici la liste:

ECKERT POLISH OPALKA FRITZ ACKERMAN GOGOSHA POLISH C. MARIZOL GOLD GALINA EVA PURPLE BALL ANNA RUSSIAN LILLIANS RED LILLIANS YELLOW MARTINO'S ROMA
MARIZOL PURPLE UKRAINAN HEART SOLDACKI
à bientôt
norbert 54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2011   #304
norbert 54
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

actuellement en plus des vieilles tomates que je vais essayer de ressusciter je cherche quelques nouvelles mais je crois qu'elles sont difficiles à trouver

bianca cherry
Blue Streak
Blue zebra
Budenovka, Pink
Cerise Blanche
Dancing With Smurfs
Fahrenheit Blues
Fraise Orange
Freckled Child
Green Lantern's Lights
Legenda Tarasenko
Malachite Box
Mini Rouge
Pansy Ap
poivron jaune
Pork Chop
Purple Brandy
Sakharnyi Pudovichok
Salade Vert Lime
Seattle's Woolly Blue Mammoth
SOYUZ ELEVEN
Summer Cider
Summertime Green
Sweet Adélaïde
Topaz

mais il n'y a aucune urgence je continue à chercher cela m'occupe
Old December 28, 2011   #305
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
actuellement en plus des vieilles tomates que je vais essayer de ressusciter je cherche quelques nouvelles mais je crois qu'elles sont difficiles à trouver

bianca cherry
Blue Streak
Blue zebra
Budenovka, Pink
Cerise Blanche
Dancing With Smurfs
Fahrenheit Blues
Fraise Orange
Freckled Child
Green Lantern's Lights
Legenda Tarasenko
Malachite Box
Mini Rouge
Pansy Ap
poivron jaune
Pork Chop
Purple Brandy
Sakharnyi Pudovichok
Salade Vert Lime
Seattle's Woolly Blue Mammoth
SOYUZ ELEVEN
Summer Cider
Summertime Green
Sweet Adélaïde
Topaz

mais il n'y a aucune urgence je continue à chercher cela m'occupe
Norbert, if I'm reading you correctly, those are the varieties you are searching for. YOU WANT TO HAVE THE MOST PEOPLE see your want list and that would NOT be here in this thread about my book. So go the Seed Exchange Forum below on this page and you'll see two subforums. One is for seeds WANTED or where to get certain varieties, and the other is the TRADE FORUM, where folks list what they have to trade and what they'd like in return.

Also in the TRADE Forum are folks listing what they're offering and don't want any trades and that's where I list my annual seed offer here and will in about a week or so and if you read the instructions you'll see that folks in non-US countries can e-mail me what they want, maximum of 5 varieties, but as thanks to you I'd be glad to offer you many more, and then I pay the postage to those other countries.

If you want to discuss it when the offer goes up it might be best to e-mail me at cmale@aol.com or through the PM ( private message feature here at Tville) if you've figured out how that works. Probably e-mailing me is best.

I hope that helps.
Old December 28, 2011   #306
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Norbert, je vous ai envoyé un PM.

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2011   #307
norbert 54
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Norbert, if I'm reading you correctly, those are the varieties you are searching for. YOU WANT TO HAVE THE MOST PEOPLE see your want list and that would NOT be here in this thread about my book. So go the Seed Exchange Forum below on this page and you'll see two subforums. One is for seeds WANTED or where to get certain varieties, and the other is the TRADE FORUM, where folks list what they have to trade and what they'd like in return.

Also in the TRADE Forum are folks listing what they're offering and don't want any trades and that's where I list my annual seed offer here and will in about a week or so and if you read the instructions you'll see that folks in non-US countries can e-mail me what they want, maximum of 5 varieties, but as thanks to you I'd be glad to offer you many more, and then I pay the postage to those other countries.

If you want to discuss it when the offer goes up it might be best to e-mail me at cmale@aol.com or through the PM ( private message feature here at Tville) if you've figured out how that works. Probably e-mailing me is best.

I hope that helps.
les variétés que je cherche sont, éventuellement pour 2013

j'ai tout mon temps de chercher plus tard

c'était juste pour parler parce-que j'aurais assez avec la vieille collection

good night

it's 21 o'clock here
Old December 28, 2011   #308
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Just ordered a copy today from Heirloom--really looking forward to getting it! Before it arrives I'll need to convince myself that I really, really don't need any more seeds this year...
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2011   #309
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Just ordered a copy today from Heirloom--really looking forward to getting it! Before it arrives I'll need to convince myself that I really, really don't need any more seeds this year...
I'm not convinced, I think you do.

Ever grow Costoluto Ginovese, Riesentraube or Azoychka?

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2011   #310
JWWC
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky View Post
No shipping to Canada from Heirloom Seeds

Ah well, got spoiled for Christmas, shouldn't complain
Hey Nicky,

I got it shipped to a Kinek station and picked it up cross border. https://www.kinek.com/
If you have friends near the border/ live near enough to drive there.

-Jenn
JWWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2011   #311
norbert 54
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage View Post
Norbert, je vous ai envoyé un PM.

Steve
je vous ai envoyé plusieurs messages , enfin j'ai essayé
mais je ne sais pas envoyer des messages privés
je ne comprends pas le systéme
désolé
Old December 30, 2011   #312
nicky
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! I've got it all sorted.

That's a good idea JWWC. There is a "ship to" place that my sister-in-law uses across the border from Sarnia (where her family is from) I suppose I could do that in the future!

Cheers,
Nicky
nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2011   #313
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
je vous ai envoyé plusieurs messages , enfin j'ai essayé
mais je ne sais pas envoyer des messages privés
je ne comprends pas le systéme
désolé
J'ai reçu votre première réponse à mon message privé, mais n'a pas reçu d'autres messages. Pour me contacter plus directement, vous pouvez aller ici:
http://heritagetomatoseed.com/contact/
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2012   #314
norbert 54
Tomatovillian™

Happy New Year Everybody
Old January 2, 2012   #315
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonpicker View Post
"100 Heirloom Tomatoes for the American Garden",
Carolyn J Male. GET IT!! GREAT BOOK!!
Some of the seed catalogs list in their "book section" and
I'm sure it's available on the Internet booksellers too.
Thanks, I will get it!