Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old March 17, 2016   #301
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Shetland Sheep.. we will be shearing them for the wool in a few weeks.

barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2016   #302
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Beauties!. What do you do with the wool? Do you keep it and make yarn or is there a market for it. Very interesting. If you make things from yarn from your own sheep that is awesome and I would love to see.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2016   #303
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

It was cold a while back, so it was a perfect day to make my version of a Mackerel Fish Chowder with Oat Dumplings.. It was good and hit the spot!

Ginny

Old March 17, 2016   #304
imp
Tomatovillian™

Oh, that looks so good! Do you have a recipe? I've never heard of nor had oat dumplings, so am very interested in how they are made and taste.

You take stunning pictures, too, from butterflies to livestock to food!
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2016   #305
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Beauties!. What do you do with the wool? Do you keep it and make yarn or is there a market for it. Very interesting. If you make things from yarn from your own sheep that is awesome and I would love to see.

KarenO
Karen, I will be trying my hand at hand spinning the wool for the very first time. It is a new adventure for me. So it will be a learning experience.. After shearing I will need to separate, sort, clean (wash) the fleece, dry it, tease it and card it. I like the natural color of the fibers, so, I will not dye it. I have watched a friend do this a few years back, and have some friendly folk at a farm who teach classes on all the steps that lead up to spinning the wool into fiber/yarn.. I have been wanting to give this a try for years. I am so excited. I will try to take some pictures of the process as I go along..

Ginny
Old March 17, 2016   #306
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Oh, that looks so good! Do you have a recipe? I've never heard of nor had oat dumplings, so am very interested in how they are made and taste.

You take stunning pictures, too, from butterflies to livestock to food!
Thank you Imp, some of the pictures were a bit large, but, too lazy to resize..

I made the oat dumplings from oats I ground up myself and turned into flour.I just used a basic recipe for dumplings.. If I remember correctly:

1 cup oat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tablespoon soft butter
1/2 cup lukewarm milk

Melt butter and add to the milk, set aside.

In medium bowl, sift dry ingredients together then add milk and butter mixture. Stir till coated well, let sit 10 minutes. Drop by small spoon full onto boiling broth.. ( I use a small melon baller). Cook covered 15 minutes and uncovered for 5 minutes.

You can add chopped chives or parsley to the dough if you want.

Ginny
Old March 17, 2016   #307
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

I grew a few rows of Black Aztec Corn in my 2015 garden. I planted a few weeks late, so, I did not end up with very many ripe ears.. Oh well, it is a beautiful and tasty corn though.
Old March 17, 2016   #308
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Some seedlings I started from seed a few weeks back. Tomatoes, lettuce, kale, onion, herbs etc..

Old March 18, 2016   #309
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful pictures, Ginny. Love your farm animals, or should I say pets. Everything looks great. Wish you productive and healthy season, girl. Hope we will have an early spring and no more snow (even though they are predicting some this Monday).

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #310
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Beautiful pictures, Ginny. Love your farm animals, or should I say pets. Everything looks great. Wish you productive and healthy season, girl. Hope we will have an early spring and no more snow (even though they are predicting some this Monday).
Thank you Ella,

We had some warm temperatures last week and most of the snow was gone except for a small scattering in the woods. Yesterday the temperatures dropped and we had some snow and sleet, and more snow is spurting out this morning.

I have been up at the barn since early this morning. One of our sheep mama's had twin lambs. They are so cute. They are all doing well. Will post some pictures soon.

I hope you have a great garden season also. It wont be long before we can plant, so. hang in there my friend. Last week my husband and I saw a couple honey bees, and the sandhill cranes are back. That is about a month sooner than usual.. Signs of an early spring.

We tapped a few maple trees out in the sugar bush last weekend when the temperature went up and cooked it down until we had a pint of sweet maple syrup. We plan on tapping more trees this weekend. We have just been so busy.. In a good way!

Ginny
Old March 18, 2016   #311
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Hanging up garlic and tomatoes to dry. 2015

Old March 18, 2016   #312
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

West African Pepper growing in a container.

Old March 18, 2016   #313
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Here are some flowers that I started from seed that I got at WM for 20 cents a pack each.. Tall Alyssum in the front spilling over and Marigolds and Zinnias in middle and back of container. They sure gave a great pop of color, and they bloomed all summer into late fall. 2015

Ginny
Old March 18, 2016   #314
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

beautiful pics. That chowder is mouthwatering.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #315
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Love it all.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote