Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old January 27, 2013   #331
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Everybody's busy.

Way too early for tomatoes for me, but my onions are doing well.
Started off with a germination test on 12/23/12 to check seed viability before I started my other experiments in the beginning of January. (More on that later)

The only changes I did this year for my organic grow was I inoculated with BIOTAMAX early on, I needed a food source for the microherd in the inert media, I have some Roots Organics Trinity on hand, which seemed to fit perfectly for the task. Trinity is a low NPK supplement (.1-.5-25) made of Molasses, Yucca Extract, Kelp Extract, Soy Protein Hydrolysate, Humic Acid, Quillaja Saponiaria and Aloe Extract. Later on after the emergence of true leaf I started using the General Organics line of nutrients and supplements. Also innoculated with MYCOGROW SOLUBLE at that point. The strategy seems to be working well, growth rate and leaf height is greater than last year.

The pic shows Lilia Onion only but my Spanish Onion and Dorata DiParma Onion are doing the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GermTest.jpg (464.3 KB, 143 views)
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2013   #332
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Due to the very unusually warm temperatures over the past few days one weakness of the DT has emerged. It dries out faster than other seed starting mediums so I need to keep a closer eye on it. For the past few days the seedlings in the greenhouse getting the full advantage of the sun during the day have needed to be bottom watered daily. I don't want to leave them in a watering tray because of the danger of damping off so I am having to water frequently. It is nice how quickly the DT absorbs the water so it doesn't take too long.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2013   #333
BruceinGa
Tomatovillian™

I have been in Florida for the past 5 days and was concerned that my trays would dry out. I returned yesterday to see that all is well!! My tomatoes plants are now about an inch tall.
BruceinGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2013   #334
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

I am also trying it out DE for fun. I am trying different mixes to see how they will turn out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DE.jpg (136.4 KB, 130 views)

Last edited by Delerium; January 28, 2013 at 08:28 PM.
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2013   #335
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Ray I transplanted my onion seedlings that I started in the DE on Saturday. You were sure right about how much easier it was to separate the plants. I just let the DE dry out fairly well and then dumped out the whole pot and shook the seedlings and the DE just fell away and the seedlings were easy to separate. I couldn't believe the size of the root structure. I have never had onion seedlings with such a huge root structure at plant out time.

Still no damping off of any of my tomato seedlings for the first time ever in my greenhouse. We have had sunnier weather than usual this time of year and that could be a factor; but even so I should have had at least some damping off by now. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I know this is becoming redundant Ray but THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

Bill
Old February 4, 2013   #336
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Yes, it is clear that the DE is better than the seed starting mixes I've used before.

The germination on my rootstock has been much higher than what is listed on the package. The package said 87% and I've gotten at least 95%.

Not bad!
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2013   #337
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I purchased the DE from Autozone, but only after I had my seeds started, so as soon as they germinated I sprinkled the DE over the plants and the algae is not the problem it was last year. Anytime I see a little beginning patch I smother it with the DE....WOW! does it look better this year than any other year before. I am impressed!
Old February 4, 2013   #338
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

I went to Autozone for my supply of DE yesterday. 33 pound bag. I'm not starting a forset of tomato seeds, only up to 100 or so, I'm hoping to mix some DE into a good brand of bagged growing soil.

I know someone did a mix of 20% up to 50% of DE with soil, has anyone got any more experience of using DE plus potting soil? I'd love to hear about your experiences.
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2013   #339
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroma View Post
I went to Autozone for my supply of DE yesterday. 33 pound bag. I'm not starting a forset of tomato seeds, only up to 100 or so, I'm hoping to mix some DE into a good brand of bagged growing soil.

I know someone did a mix of 20% up to 50% of DE with soil, has anyone got any more experience of using DE plus potting soil? I'd love to hear about your experiences.
Zeroma, the 33lb bag at Autozone is not DE, the Ultrasorb DE comes in a 15lb bag.
Old February 4, 2013   #340
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Oh crap. I had a feeling that it wasn't right. I didn't see the "Ultrasorb" on the bag and almost walked away. What was that saying my teacher used to say when answering those multi choice questions. "If you're not sure, go with the first one that pooped into your head". Go with your gut.... Oh crap.

I didn't see any small bags, now I know why. I asked for ultrasorb and the clerk pointed it out.

I bought it on our way home from visiting my daughter 5 hours away. I'm sure I can return it to our local store, but I thought I had gotten such a great deal. I even got a $10.00 off rebate for buying it. It was just $6.99.

So what does a person do with 33 pounds of crap. okay enough. If it were crap, I'd know what to do with it LOL.

Thank you Ray
Old February 4, 2013   #341
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Zeroma, you got any cats? It makes a great cat litter.

It isn't crap, the clay absorbent you bought is MONTMORILLONITE CLAY, a form of hard weathered volcanic ash, it is a bit on the acidic side but it's rich in minerals, has a high cation exchange, and is pretty structurally stable, so it would make a fine soil amendment. I just wouldn't start seeds in it (I already tried that) because of its acidity.

The Ultrasorb bag isn't that much smaller, DE is just a lot lighter in weight than the clay.
Old February 4, 2013   #342
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

No cat. I will use it as an amendment. Guess it's time for a soil test so I really know what it needs. Thanks so much for your wealth of information. I knew the reason I needed Ultrasorb was because of the acidity.
Old February 4, 2013   #343
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Well, I'll confess to having completely ignored this thread since it started. Little did I know what I was missing!

I did have problems with a few tomato and pepper seeds last year, and mixed results with starting cilantro, lettuce and spinach in the past. Can't wait to give the DE a try this year!

Thanks to all who've posted their tips, techniques, and results. I have to stop at Autozone for a new headlight bulb for my car anyway, and will be adding ultrasorb to my shopping list!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2013   #344
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Don't get lost in the excitement when you see bags of DE at the front of the store, those are the ones that are not what you want(at least at my stores) and it is what I first picked up and had to exchange it. What you want is near the oils.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2013   #345
b54red
Tomatovillian™

In the stores here when it is even in stock I have found it near the oils in the corner and only one bag each time. They always have the large bags near the front but the UltraSorb is almost hidden if available at all.