Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 10, 2019   #3451
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJane View Post
Thank you Marsha! Lots of your seeds out there; KARMA sisters are going crazy!
Yipee!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2019   #3452
PlainJane

Those famous KARMA sisters, hanging out together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 578E1516-B15C-4A68-8977-40B0A5C7D391.jpg (692.8 KB, 71 views)
Old April 13, 2019   #3453
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Those famous KARMA sisters, hanging out together.
They are beautiful.
Old April 13, 2019   #3454
PlainJane

The purple multiflora is also doing great in a different part of the garden. I’ll get a pic soon.
Old April 19, 2019   #3455
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

I bought the toole fabric a couple of years ago with the same thing in mind but never could get motivated to uncover and cover every day.
JaxRmrJmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2019   #3456
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

I think this is what I'm going to do as well.
JaxRmrJmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2019   #3457
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRmrJmr View Post
I bought the toole fabric a couple of years ago with the same thing in mind but never could get motivated to uncover and cover every day.
It's one or two containers/Earthboxes. I attached with clothespins. The best part was in the AM having the bees just waiting to get to the flowers.

And at night when covering up, it's just knowing that you are outsmarting the pickle worm moth makes it worth it. If the timing was right and done long enough they would be easy fodder for the lizards. I love seeing a lizard getting a moth.

Weather is really bad here and going to get worse from what they say. I guess all of Florida is having this front move through.

My plants were coming back from the hail.....

Just when I think I am going to start cuke, we get this wind which they can't take.

Marsha - I was not able to get the cuke #s with the Parthenocarpic cucumbers; just the ones that need bees. I probably had about 30 in the fall, when the weather / wind took them down.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2019   #3458
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

PlainJane - I remember reading in a post you wrote, that you were using the dry fertilizer from the Texas Tomato Food people.

I only bought the 6lb bag once, and it is way more cost effective going for 4 bags, but I did think it was the best I used at that time; I was just too cheap to continue. Was thinking about it for the fall season, to see if it helped save time.

I've been using Masterblend formula, and it is so time consuming especially adding to the earthboxes. I also think it works better in the root pouches.

Do you think TTF - dry is worth it? How do you think it compares for top dressing to Happy Frog tomato and veggie? It's about the same price range.

I do have someone local that will split a 4 pack with me so price get's significantly better. I just didn't think it was necessary to buy now, when it is needed in 5-6 months from now; might as well have fresh stuff.

Here's a link if anyone else is interested:

http://https://www.theurbanfarm.com/urfadryfe.html

--
Lately, I've been adding neem meal to tomato tone for top dressing for root pouches.

Last edited by Barb_FL; April 19, 2019 at 02:43 PM.
Old April 19, 2019   #3459
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
PlainJane - I remember reading in a post you wrote, that you were using the dry fertilizer from the Texas Tomato Food people.

I only bought the 6lb bag once, and it is way more cost effective going for 4 bags, but I did think it was the best I used at that time; I was just too cheap to continue. Was thinking about it for the fall season, to see if it helped save time.

I've been using Masterblend formula, and it is so time consuming especially adding to the earthboxes. I also think it works better in the root pouches.

Do you think TTF - dry is worth it? How do you think it compares for top dressing to Happy Frog tomato and veggie? It's about the same price range.

I do have someone local that will split a 4 pack with me so price get's significantly better. I just didn't think it was necessary to buy now, when it is needed in 5-6 months from now; might as well have fresh stuff.

Here's a link if anyone else is interested:

http://https://www.theurbanfarm.com/urfadryfe.html

--
Lately, I've been adding neem meal to tomato tone for top dressing for root pouches.
Hi Barb,
I love the liquid TTF fertilizers so that was the main reason I wanted to try their dry.
It’s going to be hard to compare because I also switched over to a homemade 5-1-1 mix instead of my previous bagged soil/compost formula.
I can say that so far everything is growing really well. I’ll post some pics tomorrow.

Once I reflect after the growing season I’ll decide whether to order the dry again. Maybe I’ll suggest they offer a 4-pack that consists of 2 dry and 2 liquid for a slightly discounted price, similar to how they do the 4-pack gallons.
- Joyce
Old April 19, 2019   #3460
PlainJane

Quote:
It's one or two containers/Earthboxes. I attached with clothespins. The best part was in the AM having the bees just waiting to get to the flowers.

And at night when covering up, it's just knowing that you are outsmarting the pickle worm moth makes it worth it. If the timing was right and done long enough they would be easy fodder for the lizards. I love seeing a lizard getting a moth.

Weather is really bad here and going to get worse from what they say. I guess all of Florida is having this front move through.

My plants were coming back from the hail.....

Just when I think I am going to start cuke, we get this wind which they can't take.

Marsha - I was not able to get the cuke #s with the Parthenocarpic cucumbers; just the ones that need bees. I probably had about 30 in the fall, when the weather / wind took them down.
Weather was CRAZY today, very similar to a hurricane.
Went out just before dark and am not seeing too much damage. We just lost power for about 10 minutes...not surprised.
I must get my cuke seedlings planted out this weekend. And more beans started!
Old April 19, 2019   #3461
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

How do you like the 5-1-1 - is the 5 the fines? I did that one year with the 5 being the fines, but totally underestimated the watering requirements, so gave up and went back to peat based. Just as well, b/c it was impossible to find them,

I had been using ProMix, but last year started adding some coir to it. About 70 PM/30 Coir or 80/20.

I've done 50/50 for Microgreens but like other products better.

Fertilome Ultimate Potting Mix is really good for Microgreens.

----
The TTF liquid Veggie formula is really good for peppers and cucumbers. I've experimented and nothing else is better.

What is your tomato feeding schedule with the liquid TTF?
Old April 20, 2019   #3462
PlainJane

Quote:
How do you like the 5-1-1 - is the 5 the fines? I did that one year with the 5 being the fines, but totally underestimated the watering requirements, so gave up and went back to peat based. Just as well, b/c it was impossible to find them,

I had been using ProMix, but last year started adding some coir to it. About 70 PM/30 Coir or 80/20.

I've done 50/50 for Microgreens but like other products better.

Fertilome Ultimate Potting Mix is really good for Microgreens.

----
The TTF liquid Veggie formula is really good for peppers and cucumbers. I've experimented and nothing else is better.

What is your tomato feeding schedule with the liquid TTF?
So far I’m loving the 5-1-1 mix. I found fines at Stone Plus on Phillips Hwy. and the nice thing is that they stock it consistently. I’ll be picking more up today so I have mix ready to top up all the tomato containers.

I want to get into Microgreens more so thanks for the tip about Fertilome Ultimate.

Instead of peat in my 5-1-1 mix I’m using coir in the form of compressed chips and fiber. The other part is the coarse perlite. I had to water containers every day once temps are above 80 anyway, so I’m not really impacted from a daily routine point of view. In fact, the mix is holding moisture pretty well so far.

Being that I was fairly generous with the dry fertilizer in the mix I’ve used liquid TFF Apples and Oranges once a week for the last 3 weeks. Now that they’re all flowering I’m planning to go to twice a week, regular TFF, diluted down just a bit.

I was debating between veggie formula TFF and Apples and Oranges. A&O won out because of comments here on TV and because I actually have apple and citrus trees, lol.
Old April 20, 2019   #3463
PlainJane

KARMA Purple Multiflora sharing a 30 gallon container with Nairobi Nights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6A5B7610-115D-4F45-876E-DB617EEB6648.jpg (730.6 KB, 41 views)
Old April 20, 2019   #3464
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
KARMA Purple Multiflora sharing a 30 gallon container with Nairobi Nights.
Looking healthy.
Old April 20, 2019   #3465
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Joyce - That is a great shot showing your mix (nice tomatoes too). I never used anything larger than 15 gallon root pouches (they are huge too - seem so much larger than three - 5 gallon ones).

Good luck with your season.