Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 21, 2013   #346
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

antichevarieta, for the purple haze seeds, I tried to get them and was told that you can only buy the plant as the seeds are not stable. I looked for them for over a year and gave up. So if Tatiana has them that's great news and recent, I believe. I think I already listed my plants so I won't bore you with repeating what I am growing except that I am going to planting Cuor di Bue and that excites me!
Sharon
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013   #347
antichevarieta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonRossy View Post
antichevarieta, for the purple haze seeds, I tried to get them and was told that you can only buy the plant as the seeds are not stable. I looked for them for over a year and gave up. So if Tatiana has them that's great news and recent, I believe. I think I already listed my plants so I won't bore you with repeating what I am growing except that I am going to planting Cuor di Bue and that excites me!
Sharon
cuore di bue is a great tomato..in boca al lupo!
I ordered some "kiss the sky" (tatiana's Purple Haze) and will post how well they do here
antichevarieta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013   #348
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for that, cause I looked on her site and didn't find it.
Sharon
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2013   #349
GreenSand117
Tomatovillian™

Default Here is my list:

Crnkovic Yugoslavian
Black Mountain Pink
Aunt Ginny's Purple
Purple Dog Creek
Cosmonaut Volkov
Lilac Giant
Gigantesque
Taxi
Djena Lee's Golden Girl
Marianna's Peace
Tappy's Finest
Ukrainian Pear
Tennessee Surprise
Tennessee Britches
Zogola
Neves Azorean Red
Orange Russian 117
Claude Brown's Giant Yellow
Candy's Old Yellow
Lucky Cross
Tidwell German
Azoychka
Summer Cider
Persimmon
Purple Haze
Eva Purple Ball
Grandfather Ashlock
Ildi
Manyel
Grandma Climmenhagen
Purple Smudge
Lime Green Salad
Bear Claw
Cuostrolee'
Italian Tree
Kellogg's Breakfast
Black Krim
Kentucky Beefsteak
Oxheart
Old German
Green Zebra
Black Prince
Rutgers
Pruden's Purple
Japanese Black Trifele
Black from Tula
Cherokee Purple
Giant Belgium Yellow
Brandywine (Maxifort grafted-only 1 plant)
Chocolate Cherry
Polish Linguisa
Lemon Boy (1 plant)
German Johnson

I apologize in advance for any spelling errors.

Last edited by GreenSand117; June 16, 2013 at 01:16 AM.
GreenSand117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2013   #350
antichevarieta
Tomatovillian™

in boca al lupo!!!
antichevarieta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2013   #351
kath
Tomatovillian™

Great lists, everyone! Thanks for sharing them. I'm wondering if all of you who posted would be willing to post again about which ones were your favorites of the season and why...maybe I'll start a follow-up thread later in the summer/early fall.

Hope everyone is up to their ears in tomatoes soon!

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2013   #352
jerryinfla
Tomatovillian™

Kath - I can post an update at the end of my season if it's of interest; however, I'm growing nothing but 12 hybrids now. They all have a bit of sameness taste-wise but some are definitely more disease resistant than others which might be of interest especially to those who are grafting. I can provide an early report on two now: Amelias are OK taste-wise, early, prolific and relatively disease resistant. Grandmas Pick are just the opposite - dead before any tomatoes ripened. I can post a full report to include root knot nematode (RKN) resistance of all 12 when I pull them.
Old June 16, 2013   #353
Claudia
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryinfla View Post
Kath - I can post an update at the end of my season if it's of interest; however, I'm growing nothing but 12 hybrids now. They all have a bit of sameness taste-wise but some are definitely more disease resistant than others which might be of interest especially to those who are grafting. I can provide an early report on two now: Amelias are OK taste-wise, early, prolific and relatively disease resistant. Grandmas Pick are just the opposite - dead before any tomatoes ripened. I can post a full report to include root knot nematode (RKN) resistance of all 12 when I pull them.

Jerry, I would love to read your results at the end of the season. I have limited space so grow mostly hybrids too, but I usually grow 2 or 3 heirlooms a year.
Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2013   #354
FisherPrice
Tomatovillian™

Default My list from interior Alaska

I am limited by my 10x10 greenhouse size and the short cool growing season in Fairbanks. All are in containers due to the cold temp of the ground. I had to be selective in my plant choices, most are recommended by the University of Alaska Ag department.

Veggies
Norkotah Russet Potatoes
Thai Hot Peppers (Dragon)
Golden Bell Sweet Pepper
Hot Banana Pepper
Yellow Crookneck Squash
Sweet Mama Winter Squash
Tasty Green Burpless Cucumber
Sugar Ann Snow peas
Oregon Shugar Pod 2

Tomatoes
Grafted Early Girl (from Mightymato)
Detskiy Sladkiy (Russian)
Sweet Million (cherry)

Last edited by FisherPrice; June 16, 2013 at 02:48 PM.
FisherPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2013   #355
kath
Tomatovillian™

Jerry, I think that there are always people who'll be interested in the results, no matter how you grow, where you're located, or which varieties of tomatoes happen to be in your garden. The fact that you deal with extreme disease pressure only makes your results more valuable to those facing similar problems. Thanks for offering to post your observations.

kath
Old June 16, 2013   #356
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Hello, Kath,
you have in your grow list both PL and RL Amazon chocolate. Did they set fruit yet? My PL did, I do not grow RL. It was the second to set fruit, the first was Omar Lebanese (ha).

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2013   #357
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

I didn't know there's a tomato named for Jimi Hendrix. How did that come about?
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2013   #358
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Hello, Kath,
you have in your grow list both PL and RL Amazon chocolate. Did they set fruit yet? My PL did, I do not grow RL. It was the second to set fruit, the first was Omar Lebanese (ha).
Hi, Ella- The potato-leaved version was the first to set fruit this year aside from Sungold and I think last year it was the same. The RL one is flowering and may have set some tiny ones but not any that are clearly visible without hunting. I included a picture of the poor lumpy little things.

kath
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2287.jpg (398.9 KB, 37 views)
Old June 16, 2013   #359
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Hi, Ella- The potato-leaved version was the first to set fruit this year aside from Sungold and I think last year it was the same. The RL one is flowering and may have set some tiny ones but not any that are clearly visible without hunting. I included a picture of the poor lumpy little things.

kath
Kath and Ella, the PL version I got from Kath was a very good early set and it looks like the tomatoes are going to be larger than the RL version I sent Kath. I didn't grow my RL version in the field for comparison, so will be very curious to read Kath's comparisons of the two. Kath, are you also growing the other (smaller) RL version this year?

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2013   #360
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage View Post
Kath and Ella, the PL version I got from Kath was a very good early set and it looks like the tomatoes are going to be larger than the RL version I sent Kath. I didn't grow my RL version in the field for comparison, so will be very curious to read Kath's comparisons of the two. Kath, are you also growing the other (smaller) RL version this year?

Steve
Hi, Steve- yes, the RL plant is right next to the PL and is doing well. The plants are about the same height and it'll be very interesting to see how they compare as the season progresses. Not sure if I mentioned that I grew Amazon Chocolate several years ago from seeds received in a trade which produced very tall RL plants with fruits in the 2 to 4 oz. range that split extremely easily. Your description sounded very different and definitely worth a try- I'll let you know how it goes.

kath