Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 6, 2013   #361
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Thanks RayR!

I just got a bag of the Ultrasorb from Autozone and will be starting my next round of seeds in it shortly. Onions have already been started in MG seed starting mix, so too late for trying them in DE this year. Germination was close to 90% for the Tropea onions, but much lower for the Copras, and Red Wings. I'm wondering how they would have done in DE, but unfortunately I only have Tropea seeds left.
The problem with Allium seed is their short life span. All the onions I'm growing this year are from my own seed crop this past season. Germination rate was excellent.
With seeds collected from the 2011 season, the germination rate this year was much lower.
Left over seeds from seed packets I purchased last January had terrible germination this year and in a couple of cases there was no germination at all. Makes you wonder how old those seeds were that were packed for 2012.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2013   #362
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Here is some of the seeds that have germinated so far. Still to early to do a comparison but what i wanted to see was how different plants do in the mixes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DE_mixes.jpg (403.5 KB, 147 views)
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2013   #363
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerium View Post
Here is some of the seeds that have germinated so far. Still to early to do a comparison but what i wanted to see was how different plants do in the mixes.
What are you using for your "Standard" Mix?
Old February 6, 2013   #364
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

regular potting soil.
Old February 7, 2013   #365
Levent
Tomatovillian™

Micro Tom seedling in diatomite
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Micro Tom 2.jpg (416.2 KB, 128 views)
Levent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2013   #366
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoParrott View Post
I have a question for the DE users-I have sowed some pepper seeds in 3 ice trays(holes in bottom)-I am amazed how water wicks up! But after about 5 days, the surface seems like the sprouts may have a hard time poking through- kind of firm and stuck together. Will they be strong enough to break through?
I like your ice tray idea, I have quite a few and never thought of that!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2013   #367
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Here is our little update on our little DE trial growout. First peppers germinated from DE. Basil seems to really like DE as well. No eggplants yet. The middle mix of DE & Potting soil is actually lagging behind. Initially after talking with a friend - i figured the middle mix would do better than DE and 100% potting soil but its not showing here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg de_experiment.jpg (620.0 KB, 123 views)
Old February 8, 2013   #368
svalli
Tomatovillian™

In January I started an experiment with moler type DE cat litter. I used rucola seeds and sowed them in a bottom watered seed starting tray where half was filled with commercial seed starting potting soil and half with the DE.
After putting the seeds in, I sprinkled vermiculite on top of both sides. The seeds in DE sprouted faster and in the beginnig the growth was faster. When the first true leaves had grown, the side in DE seemed to slow dow in growth compared to the other side. Since the DE does not have any nutrients, I used diluted fertilizer when watering via the bottom tray.
When I pulled the plants, the ones in DE seemed to have much longer roots.

The peppers, which I started in DE are doing fine and should be transplanted soon. Since those are growing well I refilled the tray used in the first test with fresh DE and put tomato seeds in it couple of days ago.

Sari
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DE test with rucola 1.jpg (103.6 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg DE test with rucola 2.jpg (97.7 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg DE test with rucola 3.jpg (86.3 KB, 130 views)
Old February 8, 2013   #369
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerium View Post
Here is our little update on our little DE trial growout. First peppers germinated from DE. Basil seems to really like DE as well. No eggplants yet. The middle mix of DE & Potting soil is actually lagging behind. Initially after talking with a friend - i figured the middle mix would do better than DE and 100% potting soil but its not showing here.
The pure DE worked much better for me than a mix but it doesn't have any fertilizer value so I always start using a dilute Miracle Grow as soon as they sprout when bottom watering. I don't like the organic fertilizers as well since they tend to cause much more algae growth on the DE.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2013   #370
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Dilute Miracle Grow

What is your fertilizer schedule and mix/ratio
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2013   #371
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

b54red i will be using a dilute fertilizer now. Initially i was just using filtered water just to get them to germinate now that they are starting to grow i will start feeding them.

Thanks to the original posters for sharing your tests on DE. It's got me excited - because i grow a lot of my vegetables in containers. And DE would be great for keeping consistant moisture levels in self watering containers with its ability to wick water so well.
Old February 8, 2013   #372
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I planted bunching onions, lettuce and Peppadew seeds tonight in Ultrasorb. And, I found I did have eight Copra onion seeds left, so they went in as well! Can't wait to see how they all do.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2013   #373
RayR
Tomatovillian™

I'm into the 5th week of my onion experiment and all are doing equally well, 3 onion varieties each in...

Ultrasorb DE
Optisorb DE
Jiffy Mix
2:1 Mix of Jiffy Mix & Optisorb
2:1 Mix of Optisorb & Coir

One tip, adding DE to a bone dry peat mix like Jiffy Mix makes it sooo... much easier to hydrate. Straight Jiffy Mix dries out faster than the others too.
Germination was about the same in all the mixes, 10 seeds per pot, first one's popped up in 2 days, had a few defectives here and there that I thinned out, but each pot has 7-9 good seedlings growing.
Plants are anywhere from 6-9 inches tall now, better than last year at this time, the new ferts and inoculants are doing their job. Conventional wisdom would have it that when using organic methods that the seedlings would do better if grown in an organic medium...well you can throw conventional wisdom out the window at least with diatomite. If all remains about equal, the scales would tip to straight DE or the DE & Coir mix since I know the roots would be the easiest to separate when that time comes.
Old February 9, 2013   #374
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroma View Post
Dilute Miracle Grow

What is your fertilizer schedule and mix/ratio
I don't have a schedule. I just bottom water whenever the cells start looking dry. I just put a little bit of Miracle Grow, maybe 1/4 what is recommended when they are just up and increase it a bit as they grow. After I pot up into regular potting soil I will fertilize less often but with a slightly stronger mix.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2013   #375
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

My seedlings seem to bog down a bit after the second true leaves start forming, so I'm trying
1 part worm compost
2 parts DE
and filling the seedling tray half full, then a layer of only DE... place the seeds down and cover with another 1/4 in of DE. I'm hoping the roots will be as good in this mixture as pure DE, but allow me a bit longer before repotting and not stall them out right before the third set of true leaves start. Hopefully this will not cause dampening off disease ... but live and learn...
Thanks Ray and all you guys and gals that contribute to this thread. This has changed my techniques on seed starting more than all the other things I've tried put together.....