Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 11, 2015   #361
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Looks like it was good time.Well at this writing this SLACKER NO GO TYPE is still at work.Anything new and exciting show up?
Old October 11, 2015   #362
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Looks like it was good time.Well at this writing this SLACKER NO GO TYPE is still at work.Anything new and exciting show up?

No, but someone I voluneered with and dont like showed up. Little tiny lady with big giant brass you know whats! Mostly though it was just lots of fun.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2015   #363
Imthechuck
Tomatovillian™

Looks like fun! I totally forgot about the swap, been busy making trellises.... I'm a knot master now

Imthechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2015   #364
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Looks like a great time; and if the weather was anything like here, a great day for it. Nice shading too;

I bet you are exhausted. Thanks for pointing yourself out in the photos; it's always good to have a face attached to the name.

DH just called and he completed his AT Georgia section. GRRR.... this NO GO slacker would be a no-slacker if he was home. Well, I can't imagine him doing it next year; he has to take a shower just walking the dog around the block. I think he rushed through it b/c of the shower. Planned on taking 2 weeks with travel, instead completed in 6 days; 4 nights in a tent; he stayed in a hostel last night where they have a shuttle to town and do your laundry and give you scrubs to wear.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2015   #365
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

In the cHuck - your plants grew a lot! Everything looks very healthy. What is in the EB in the front with 3 plants?
Old October 12, 2015   #366
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Marsha it looks like it was a very successful event. I am sure you were exhausted but gratified and I know everyone that got plants went home happy.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2015   #367
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Kay and Barb- it was a lot of fun, and
I had lots of help, so I'm not exhausted. There was a potluck, but most of the food was heavily carb laden, pand I'm watching my diet to keep my blood sugsr good( not diabetic). So I left and was starving! We ate at Bonefish grill that night. Great finish to a very fun day.
Old October 12, 2015   #368
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Kay and Barb- it was a lot of fun, and
I had lots of help, so I'm not exhausted. There was a potluck, but most of the food was heavily carb laden, pand I'm watching my diet to keep my blood sugsr good( not diabetic). So I left and was starving! We ate at Bonefish grill that night. Great finish to a very fun day.
Marsha,

Looks like a great setup and good turnout. And what an awesome way to end the day by going to Bonefish!

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2015   #369
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

ImtheChuck - Wow those look great! So I see tomatoes, peppers, and are those eggplants in the buckets? I'm sure you probably mentioned it in an earlier post, but I couldn't find it.

Also, I see your yellow sticky traps are working!

Ginny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imthechuck View Post
Looks like fun! I totally forgot about the swap, been busy making trellises.... I'm a knot master now

Old October 12, 2015   #370
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

I have tomatoes... :-) Two volunteers popped up in a single planter while we were gone. One is Pink Berkeley Tie Dye and the other is Black Cherry. I grew PBTD in this container in the spring and a Black Cherry plant was in the container next to it. One of my neighbors saw the plants pop up and watered them until we got home.

Plus, I got all the plants from Barb transplanted and they are doing great. I also planted some leaf lettuce, bibb lettuce, curly kale, radishes, basil, and cilantro. And we had a pepper plant that survived the summer and is producing peppers. I fertilized it and it is blooming like crazy.

So happy to be back to my garden.

And I see everyone elses' gardens are doing great too!

Ginny

Last edited by Fiishergurl; October 12, 2015 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Typos
Old October 12, 2015   #371
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Ginny - you have the magic touch. Great volunteers to grow and produce no less. Glad all the plants I gave you are doing well too.

My Sticky traps are working great too. Ordered more from Amazon but taking forever not even shipped yet. Went on DD Amazon Prime and ordered today for Weds. I will keep all the extras for next summer. Bugs aren't bad in the winter for the spring crop.

I know it says so, but do the sticky traps help avoid aphids? I notice that aphids only come around when the plant is flowering?

Weather is finally beautiful; no more shade cloth for tomatoes!

All broccoli is planted.
Old October 12, 2015   #372
MarlynnMarcks
Tomatovillian™

I would so love to have attended. It was my heart's desire, but I broke my foot and my husband is in the hospital. Hopefully, next year!
MarlynnMarcks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2015   #373
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Another source and colors for aphids/thrips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Ginny - you have the magic touch. Great volunteers to grow and produce no less. Glad all the plants I gave you are doing well too.

My Sticky traps are working great too. Ordered more from Amazon but taking forever not even shipped yet. Went on DD Amazon Prime and ordered today for Weds. I will keep all the extras for next summer. Bugs aren't bad in the winter for the spring crop.

I know it says so, but do the sticky traps help avoid aphids? I notice that aphids only come around when the plant is flowering?

Weather is finally beautiful; no more shade cloth for tomatoes!

All broccoli is planted.

http://www.groworganic.com/pest-wiza...cky-traps.html

https://isca-technologies.myshopify....ow-sticky-trap

I posted in the Disease and Pest forum regarding essential oil attractants that I have been smearing on these different color traps.I put a X and O smear in a square and the bugs do go for the oils.

The Isca traps have a yellow green tinge that seems to have a tomato leaf matching color.I have been using all colors.The Isca's are a nice 9x11 which I cut in half.Every bit helps to stop those life cycles.

Last edited by kurt; October 12, 2015 at 01:38 PM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2015   #374
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

While Marsha was have the swap I was doing yet another class for a garden club on making Grow Buckets. I really do know other things and do get tired of giving this talk so many times. The tour was to show them the demonstration garden that we have all kinds of raised beds and containers to give ideas of things they could do in their own yards. I was also taking them on a tour of our production fields. We donate what we grow to the City Rescue Mission that serves the homeless and to church food pantries. There is only 1 full time employee and one part time person and they have so many duties off site. The bulk of the work is done by those of us that volunteer. I had no idea how much food we donated and got the numbers for 2014. We always have to weigh what we harvest but never see the totals. It was better than I thought.

Potatoes 709.25 lbs
Strawberries 88.25 lbs
Onions 118.5 lbs
Cabbage 70 lbs.
Mix beans, corn and peppers 95.75 lbs
Total donation 1081.75 lbs, 2159 people fed

I have attached a couple of pictures from the event. I am the one in the pink t-shirt and jeans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151010_111023.jpg (74.8 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 20151010_111828.jpg (77.4 KB, 52 views)
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2015   #375
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Wow Kay, what a great project, and a very bountiful harvest. Nice work. You are a very pretty lady too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
While Marsha was have the swap I was doing yet another class for a garden club on making Grow Buckets. I really do know other things and do get tired of giving this talk so many times. The tour was to show them the demonstration garden that we have all kinds of raised beds and containers to give ideas of things they could do in their own yards. I was also taking them on a tour of our production fields. We donate what we grow to the City Rescue Mission that serves the homeless and to church food pantries. There is only 1 full time employee and one part time person and they have so many duties off site. The bulk of the work is done by those of us that volunteer. I had no idea how much food we donated and got the numbers for 2014. We always have to weigh what we harvest but never see the totals. It was better than I thought.

Potatoes 709.25 lbs
Strawberries 88.25 lbs
Onions 118.5 lbs
Cabbage 70 lbs.
Mix beans, corn and peppers 95.75 lbs
Total donation 1081.75 lbs, 2159 people fed

I have attached a couple of pictures from the event. I am the one in the pink t-shirt and jeans.