Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 14, 2015   #391
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Ginny that is a great picture. Isn't it funny how we take everything for granted until something makes us stop and really look. It will be interesting to compare notes on our VB experiments.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2015   #392
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Ginny, i have already been to the Vegibee site. They offer free shipping. Please, what is the advantage of Amazon Prime.
Kaynabler- look what you started.
Marsha,

Amazon Prime allows free shipping with delivery in 2 days if you are a member. I think it is only worthwhile if you use it a lot which we do. The membership fee used to be 75 for a year but I think it went up to 100. But we live 20 miles from Walmart, Home Depot etc. I have bought so many things from Amazon in just a few seconds and have it two days later. Stuff for our camper, fishing, camping, gardening stuff, fertilizer, sticky fly traps, and so on. You do have to be careful and price check items to make sure it's not an inflated price. But I just love it. We only go to walmart about once every two to three weeks. Also I often order items for my mom from there and have it shipped straight to her in 2 days.. And my husband wears Bimini bay shorts and shirts and those were on there. You also get access to free videos, TV shows, and a free e-book every month. When I found out my mom was going to have chemo, I downloaded some ebooks on how to thrive during chemo and read them on the plane.

You can get anything on Amazon and it's the shipping speed for no extra cost and customer service that makes the cost of membership worth it to me. Of course if you have walmart, Home depot, etc just a couple of miles away and plenty of time on your hands amazon prime probably wouldn't be worth it for you.

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2015   #393
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Oops, sorry I didn't see that Kay had already explained it.

Ginny
Old October 14, 2015   #394
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Kay - Re: Vegebee; I see on Amazon that there are 2 models, a one speed and a multi-speed:

http://www.amazon.com/VegiBee-Garden...0_SR115%2C160_

http://www.amazon.com/VegiBee-Garden...ywords=vegibee

The 5 speed is $40.81 and the 1 speed is approx. $30. Which do you have?

This would be a good present to ask my daughter for my birthday; especially the less costly one.
Barb you are our research queen.. :-)

Ginny
Old October 14, 2015   #395
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
Ginny that is a great picture. Isn't it funny how we take everything for granted until something makes us stop and really look. It will be interesting to compare notes on our VB experiments.
Kay, I was just kidding. I don't want to hang a guilt trip on you. Really, this thing looks like a lot of fun.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2015   #396
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Kay, I was just kidding. I don't want to hang a guilt trip on you. Really, this thing looks like a lot of fun.
I understood that. One of the many good things at TV is finding out new ways to enjoy our tomato addiction. Using your combo copper/bt spray has my tomatoes looking so much better than the last few seasons.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2015   #397
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Marsha,

I know you have posted it a bunch of times but what is the recipe for the copper bt spray again? I already have the southern ag copper but never used it with the bt and this past summer the caterpillars did some damage to one of my rebel yell and one of my pbtd plants. I don't want a repeat of that so I want to add the bt.

Thanks
Ginny
Old October 15, 2015   #398
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default Organic spray for fungus, bacteria, caterpillars

Here you go, Ginny
Per Gallon:
1/2Tablespoon Southern Ag Liquid Copper Fungicide
1teaspoon BT ( Thurcide and Dipel are some examples)
Liquid dish soap such as Seventh Generation, or Organic liquid Laundry soap

Add a bit of water to your pump sprayer, then measure your copper concentrate, add rest of water to fill container, and I also rinse my measuring spoon into container.

AFTER all water has been added, put in your BT, and a small squeeze of the liquid soap.
Mix well.

Since copper is bactericidal and fungicidal, I like it to be weak before I add the BT, because that is bacteria, and I add the soap at the end so the container doesn't get foamy while filling. The soap breaks up the waxy surface tension on the leaves and allows the spray to spread.
Thorough spray, under and over all leaf surfaces, and down to the soil line.

I titled this so we could go back and find this post.
Old October 15, 2015   #399
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I'm going to add the copper spray formula to the first post in this thread.

Anything important over the year, just let me know and I will include it so we don't have to search for it.

Scratch that, it won't let me edit the first post.

Last edited by Barb_FL; October 15, 2015 at 10:30 AM.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2015   #400
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

It sort of works to put a title on the important post, you can find it quickly while skimming through.
Old October 16, 2015   #401
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

I have my garden growing again... :-) Below are some pictures.

Ildi - Multiflora cherry plant from Barb. Getting ready to start doing it's thing!

Brandywine Dark Cherry from Barb. Making little tomatoes... :-)

Above are the sole 5 survivors from my 50 seedlings I started. These are approximately 5 weeks old! When I picked them up from Winter Haven they were almost 4 weeks old and all had died except these 5 and they still only had their two baby leaves. I didn't think they would live but I transplanted them anyways about a week ago and have been coddling them. 4 of the 5 have started to produce new leaves. The survivors from my big long list are Not Purple Strawberry, Anna Russian, Azoychka, and Orange Minsk Heart, and Black Cherry. All of the others sprouted up but then died after I left to go to Kansas City.

Here is a dime next to the 5 week old Anna Russian to show you the size. I replanted them last week and just yesterday 4 of the 5 started showing some new growth. I have no idea if they will live or be productive but I wanted to try.

Above are Girl Girl's Weird Thing and Pink Berkeley Tie Dye from Barb and they are doing great!. Buttercrunch and Red Leaf Lettuce sharing the box for now.

This is a Cherokee Purple (my favorite neighbor's favorite tomato). I bought this at Home Depot before I found out that Barb had so many spares to share. You can't see it in this photo but it is setting fruit.

Curly Kale - starting these for another neighbor that will arrive Nov 1st from Michigan. She makes an incredible Curly Kale Salad that she brings to get togethers. She will take over growing these when she gets here.

Volunteer Black Cherry plant.

More leaf lettuce and buttercrunch lettuce with some Radishes sharing the box. This is a shallow plastic container with holes in it perfect for Fall lettuce and radishes, not an SWC.

Rainbow Chard sharing an SWC with Rebel Yell and Captain Lucky (more tomato plants from Barb... :-). Might have to pull the Chard if it inhibits the Tomato plants from growing fast enough, but so far seems to be fine.

After I found out my 50 seedlings were not doing well, I started some more. So I have Favorie De Bretagne (pictured) Black Icicle, Not Purple Strawberry, Sgt Peppers, Rebel Yell, Gary'O Sena, and a couple of other seedlings about this same size that are several weeks younger than the damaged seedlings pictured further above but these are healthy and already many times larger... lol.

I also started some Sugar Snap Peas but they haven't sprouted yet. Going to restart all the Pepper plants as none of those survived... Shi-shi-to, Padron, Rocoto, Jalapeno, and Aji Amarillo.

Ginny

Last edited by Fiishergurl; October 16, 2015 at 02:53 PM.
Old October 16, 2015   #402
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Closer up- wow the Cherokee Tiger chartreuse foliage really stands out in the crowd, doesn't it?
Quote:
Peppers getting large
What are and where did you get the red trays shown in #252 & #253?
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2015   #403
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default Red tote containers location

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfollett View Post
What are and where did you get the red trays shown in #252 & #253?
http://www.universalpackage.com/tote-special

These used containers are really heavy duty. I think they will outlast me! DH had to drill holes for drainage, but for $4 each there isnt anything I found of the quality and suze for the price, even after you add about another $4 each for shipping. I spent over 1&1/2 days searching online for containers with higher walls than my pots and 16" wide X 24"" long. And they stack too.
Old October 16, 2015   #404
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Here you go, Ginny
Per Gallon:
1/2Tablespoon Southern Ag Liquid Copper Fungicide
1teaspoon BT ( Thurcide and Dipel are some examples)
Liquid dish soap such as Seventh Generation, or Organic liquid Laundry soap

Add a bit of water to your pump sprayer, then measure your copper concentrate, add rest of water to fill container, and I also rinse my measuring spoon into container.

AFTER all water has been added, put in your BT, and a small squeeze of the liquid soap.
Mix well.

Since copper is bactericidal and fungicidal, I like it to be weak before I add the BT, because that is bacteria, and I add the soap at the end so the container doesn't get foamy while filling. The soap breaks up the waxy surface tension on the leaves and allows the spray to spread.
Thorough spray, under and over all leaf surfaces, and down to the soil line.

I titled this so we could go back and find this post.
Perfect!! Thank you so much. Does it eliminate the green tomato horn worms entirely if used properly?

Ginny
Old October 16, 2015   #405
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
I'm going to add the copper spray formula to the first post in this thread.

Anything important over the year, just let me know and I will include it so we don't have to search for it.

Scratch that, it won't let me edit the first post.
Great idea!!

Ginny