Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 24, 2017   #391
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I didn't realize the pictures would show that bright. Here's the inside of the stem. The juice is clear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0080.JPG (56.3 KB, 75 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2017   #392
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Salt it looks like in the second picture that plant might have the early symptoms of fusarium but I sure can't be sure just from that. The stem you cut is probably too small to show fusarium. To tell for sure you need to cut off a main stem that has yellowing leaves down near the start of that stem. Look at the center of that larger stem and if it is green and clear like normal then you either don't have fusarium or it is still too early to show symptoms but usually when yellowing leaves and wilting are taking place it will usually show discoloration inside the stem. You could also take a stem and cut it off from one of the plants that is wilting badly and stick it in a clear vase of water and look for a cloudy milky substance to leach out into the water. If that happens you could be looking at bacterial wilt. The only way to check for nematodes that I know of is to just pull one of the plants that is doing the poorest and look at the roots.

If it isn't one of those problems then I have no idea what is going on with your plants. I am leaning towards nematodes but it could easily be one of the others or something else. However with Bacterial wilt I don't think the plants recover from the wilting very much at night but it has been a few years since I had a case of it and I pulled the plant immediately and doused the ground where it was with a bleach solution.

I guess we are now getting that rain that you had. It started raining four days ago off and on and it is still doing it; but I think it is nearly gone now. However we only got about 3 to 4 inches but enough to cause fruit to start splitting and I'm sure the foliage diseases will now move in big time.

Good luck. I hope you can get this problem figured out. It is awfully frustrating when you don't know what is causing the problem.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2017   #393
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Thanks Bill. Yes, it is frustrating not knowing. Tomorrow and the next day should be a real test for them in 95+ heat.

Getting back to the grafting part, our two Big Beef plants are looking really good growing out in the RKN garden. They have a lot of tomatoes on them. I'm talking to my wife about grafting next year using Big Beef as the root stock.

Would F2 Big Beef still be VFFNTA? If so, I could save lots of seeds from the ones growing in the RKN garden. Then graft to the F2 root stock.
Old May 25, 2017   #394
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Thanks Bill. Yes, it is frustrating not knowing. Tomorrow and the next day should be a real test for them in 95+ heat.

Getting back to the grafting part, our two Big Beef plants are looking really good growing out in the RKN garden. They have a lot of tomatoes on them. I'm talking to my wife about grafting next year using Big Beef as the root stock.

Would F2 Big Beef still be VFFNTA? If so, I could save lots of seeds from the ones growing in the RKN garden. Then graft to the F2 root stock.
Big Beef will work as a root stock. I used to plant 4 or 5 Big Beefs every year as my insurance tomato until that third race of fusarium started to ruin my insurance. I have actually used Big Beef as a root stock and it worked fairly good against nematodes but that third race of fusarium finally took down all my plants grafted onto Big Beef but at least they lasted a month longer than they would have not grafted.

If Big Beef lasts til late July or into August in your garden without getting fusarium wilt you might be able to use it as your main root stock.

Bill
Old May 25, 2017   #395
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

This years grafting project has given me 9 good grafted plants out of 14 that I grafted. 5 didn't make it. Used Estamino root stock this year. should be able to put some of these in the ground in about 10 days or so. More will be revealed as the season goes on.

Dan
Yak54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2017   #396
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Has anyone tried Supernatural root stock?

http://www.territorialseed.com/produ...ll_tomato_seed
Ya, I tried it in 2015. Grafted Stump of the World and Brandywine Cowlick's to it with good results.

Dan
Old May 26, 2017   #397
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Well, the plant I showed pictures of looked so bad today with the high temp in the 80s with solid cloud cover.

Bill, I did the things you wrote about in post #392. I put a branch and a split branch in water and no cloudy milky substance. The upper branches didn't show discoloration inside, but the base sure did. The third picture is right above the roots. I believe the last picture explains a lot - that's RKN in those roots.

The area that is brownish on the inside doesn't smell right either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0085.JPG (90.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0086.JPG (71.5 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0088.JPG (71.3 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0087.JPG (91.6 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by AlittleSalt; May 26, 2017 at 06:56 PM.
Old May 26, 2017   #398
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I don't see knots. Is it possible you have Corky Root, and not nematodes?
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2017   #399
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Cole, I had not heard of Corky root Rot until now. I'm reading here http://www.seminis-us.com/resources/...orky-root-rot/

A couple of pictures after washing the roots off
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0089.JPG (58.0 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0090.JPG (67.5 KB, 53 views)
Old May 26, 2017   #400
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

ok. now I see the knots on the side roots. I was looking at pictures of RKN roots and Corky roots, and they are hard to tell apart.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2017   #401
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak54 View Post
This years grafting project has given me 9 good grafted plants out of 14 that I grafted. 5 didn't make it. Used Estamino root stock this year. should be able to put some of these in the ground in about 10 days or so. More will be revealed as the season goes on.

Dan
One variety that I have found that really benefits from Estamino is Delicious. The plant will be more productive, the fruit larger and the plant much healthier and robust than with any other root stock I have used. Red Barn and Donskoi also do very well on Estamino.

Bill
Old May 26, 2017   #402
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Salt the stem looks like fusarium and the RKN is not bad enough yet to affect the plant negatively.

Bill
Old May 26, 2017   #403
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Thank you again Bill. I haven't grown many hybrids that are F,FF,FFF,N - In fact, Celebrity and Big Beef are the only two that come-to-mind right now.

Well, it gives me a reason to look through catalogs and online catalogs for VFN varieties that sound good. Who knows which varieties will grow best in our gardens, and we might even like them better? Grafting sounds like fun too.
Old May 26, 2017   #404
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Salt, your cut stem looks exactly like mine have the last few years that disease has taken down my plants early and fast. I also had screaming yellow leaves all up one side of the plants. So many people have tried to tell me it's impossible for me to have fusarium up here in New England...

If you do your homework, learn from other's mistakes and successes, and come up with a plan and stick to it, grafting can be relatively easy to pull off. And it'll free you to grow whatever you want as long as you have the right rootstock for a foundation.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2017   #405
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for your feedback Bill. Glad to hear the heart Donskoi does well, cause I have some Anna Russian's grafted to it. Also Stump of the World, Brandywine Cowlick's, Momotaro, Dr. Lyle, and Polish. Looking forward to the results this season.

Dan