Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 30, 2013   #406
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I tried to order from TGS, some tomato and pepper seeds, some grafting clips (because I thought I'd have a go at it for fun) and Carolyn's book which they actually had copies of!! Sad to say that for some strange reason it looks like I can order seed but both the clips and book order were rejected. Received a message that these items are "restricted from being shipped to this location" (my Canadian address) Anyway, I emailed their customer service so now I am waiting to hear why on earth they can ship me seed out of the country but not these non seed items. disappointed...
Karen

Last edited by KarenO; December 30, 2013 at 06:40 PM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2013   #407
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
Are we talking about the same picture? The one I thought was inquired about was the very first color picture in the book, just after the green fly leaf - it has the book title printed over it in white typeface. It sure looks like a velvety fuzz to me, both leaf and slightly hairy fruit. I wonder if you are talking about the beautiful plant on the flip side of that page which is opposite the real title page?
NowI'm laughing b'c I was looking at the picture on the reverse of the one you were refering to.

Credits on the back flap don't address anything other than what's on the back cover and for sure the one in the front is angora leaf, but if you look closer the clump of fruits above the leaves you'll see they aren't attached to anything and not all are even red, so I think i'ts a composite picture that was put together for visual effect.

So all I can say is that the leaves are indeed angora, but the fruits don't relate to the leaves and the angora leaves could be any angora variety such as Fuzzy Bomb or Angora itself or the Angora Orange that Adam Gleckler was sending out as a freebie a few years ago.

Do you see what I see? I don't see a photo of Velvet Red.

Carolyn
Old December 30, 2013   #408
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Now we're on the same page. (Pun intended) How interesting that the photo might be a composite, that never would have occurred to me, but do understand how it might through artistic license, given the lovely photography throughout. Guess it'll have to remain a mystery!

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2013   #409
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
Now we're on the same page. (Pun intended) How interesting that the photo might be a composite, that never would have occurred to me, but do understand how it might through artistic license, given the lovely photography throughout. Guess it'll have to remain a mystery!
Frank, the photographer, did all the pictures of the 100 varieties and a few more for saving seeds and some diseases,etc., but didn't do the first two we've been talking about.

Fact is, I never saw the book until a published copy was sent to me so had no idea of what Workman themselves were going to add.

Carolyn
Old January 2, 2014   #410
ChrisInNC
Tomatovillian™

I should be receiving mine today! Ready to get home from work to check it out
ChrisInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2014   #411
Irv Wiseguy
Tomatovillian™

My copy arrived today. I'm taking it to bed with me tonight and start reading.

Irv
Irv Wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2014   #412
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

If you put a straight edge/ruler on the bottom of some of the sentences in Carolyn's book you will see some of the letters are slightly higher.
Put these slightly higher letters together and it is part of a secret code.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2014   #413
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
If you put a straight edge/ruler on the bottom of some of the sentences in Carolyn's book you will see some of the letters are slightly higher.

Worth
Oh, Worth you are the first to notice that and why did you have to go and disclose that.

Carolyn
Old January 4, 2014   #414
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

I hope I am lucky enough to get a copy - just saw this! There doesn't seem to be a quantity limit (reflecting the 11 copies only) on the TGS website so its making me a bit nervous... :/
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2014   #415
Irv Wiseguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post

Worth
I tried that on the first page but all I got was:

siete divertenti
Old January 4, 2014   #416
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Oh that's no fun!

Linda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irv Wiseguy View Post
I tried that on the first page but all I got was:

siete divertenti
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2014   #417
ChrisInNC
Tomatovillian™

Finished reading my copy after 2 days, which for me is some kind of world record.

Good stuff, convinced me to add a few new varieties to my garden this year. Had already ordered my seeds, but went back and placed another small order!
ChrisInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2014   #418
Irv Wiseguy
Tomatovillian™

I love Carolyn's descriptions for each variety. She makes them all sound so wonderful. The problem is I only have room in my garden for about 8 plants; where am I going to put the other 92?

Irv
Old January 10, 2014   #419
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

At 8 varieties a year and counting this year you only have 11 more years to go for a total of 12 years before you have tried 96 varieties. The 13th year you can plant the four new ones and 4 of your favorites from the previous years!!! Are there any other tomato growing neighbors who might also want to be part of the project?
Gardadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2014   #420
splangemac
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischka View Post
A word of warning: once you buy it, you won't be able to put it down until you've finished it. :wink:

It's a great book to get folks started on the road to heirloom tomato growing. The seed starting section alone is worth the price of the book.

My copy is dog-eared from referring back to it so many times after intially reading it.

Find it. Buy it. Read it. Cherish it, like many of us do.
Could not agree more what a fantastic book.
splangemac is offline   Reply With Quote