Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 6, 2016   #31
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilburMartin View Post
Gardeneer - I am experimenting with those this season. Do you have them in saucers for constant water source, or just leaving them on the ground?
Sorry for responding late.
No, Wilbure. Mine are just sitting on the ground. I just water them as I do with the plastic pots. But I can imagine they can lose moisture a bit fast than plastic pots in high temperature climates, depending on the medium used.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2016   #32
Urbanheirlooms
Tomatovillian™

Personally, I think that people worry too much about things like what type of plastic a container is made of. I do not think planting tomato plants in any of the plastic buckets will ever cause anyone any type of issues-people have done this for years and the compounds in the plastic have not changed much at all over the years-the changes that have been made are all to improve them, not make them worse.

If you are the type of person who is worried about this, then buy "food grade" plastics, but expect to pay at least double the price. I don't know of a water hose company that makes "food grade" hoses, so those who have concerns might not want to use it to water your plants. Most of the rain barrels are made of plastic, so mark that off of your list. Compost bins, same thing. OK, I think you have the idea.
Urbanheirlooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2016   #33
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

They actually to make food grade hoses.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2016   #34
Urbanheirlooms
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
They actually to make food grade hoses.

Worth
A quick google search proves you right! I have never paid any attention to things like that, but there are many folks who are very particular about such things and to each his own.
Urbanheirlooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2016   #35
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Regarding the original question, if you can purchase in large quantities, McConkey is the big greenhouse wholesaler on the west coast. I buy from Hummert, which is in the St Louis area. Typically, the closest seller to you will have the lowest shipping charges.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2016   #36
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanheirlooms View Post
A quick google search proves you right! I have never paid any attention to things like that, but there are many folks who are very particular about such things and to each his own.

Well I bought a big black 100 hose years ago the only damage to it was from my lawnmower.
The thing is still going strong unlike the other stuff they have out.
I first noticed them on military bases years ago in the chow hall.

Worth
Old June 6, 2016   #37
fonseca
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanheirlooms View Post
Personally, I think that people worry too much about things like what type of plastic a container is made of. I do not think planting tomato plants in any of the plastic buckets will ever cause anyone any type of issues-people have done this for years and the compounds in the plastic have not changed much at all over the years-the changes that have been made are all to improve them, not make them worse.
I worry about it as I mainly grow in plastic containers. Even my steel stock tanks have reservoirs made from HDPE. I'm more concerned about the effects of heat and UV degradation, which I try to minimize by covering the plastic where possible. I use mostly non-food grade HDPE advertised as having UV stabilizers, and polyethylene growbags that are not UV stabilized.

Most plastics leach endocrine-disrupting compounds. BPA-free containers use BPS, which is likely not any safer than BPA.

Until I see research showing plant tissue can absorb significant amounts of these chemicals, however, I'm not switching from plastic. I imagine one would get a much larger dose when drinking a bottled water that was left in a hot car. Has there been any chemical analysis of container-grown produce that found plastic-derived chemicals accumulating in the plant tissue?
fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2017   #38
TorontoJoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Free or cheap pots

Nursery pots are easily found free or cheap through nurseries or big box as they mostly have re-use/recycle programs where customers bring them back. I've gone to my local home depot and picked up 1 and 2 gallon for free

BUT

If you want good, lasting pots... the #2, food grade 5-gallon bucket. it's durable and inexpensive. Just make sure you have the #2 triangle on the bottom

NOW IF YOU WANT TO GO ONE BETTER

I grow lots of potted fig trees. If you can find a "grape juice for wine" supplier in your area you're in luck. What they sell their juice in is a 6-gallon, #2 food grade bucket that's thicker and stronger than any regular 5-gallon bucket you can find elsewhere. Because of the standard size of a wine batch it also needs to be 6-gallon.

In Toronto, Magnotta wine accepts returns from grape must customers and they give away these otherwise expensive buckets for free.

If you're concerned with aesthetics...a little burlap wrap and some sisal string pretty it up nicely.

Toronto - Zone 6

Growing: Tomatoes, Cucuzzi, Figs, Peppers, Lemon, Olive

Seeking: Worlds most delicious tomato
TorontoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2017   #39
TorontoJoe
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonseca View Post
I worry about it as I mainly grow in plastic containers. Even my steel stock tanks have reservoirs made from HDPE. I'm more concerned about the effects of heat and UV degradation, which I try to minimize by covering the plastic where possible. I use mostly non-food grade HDPE advertised as having UV stabilizers, and polyethylene growbags that are not UV stabilized.

Most plastics leach endocrine-disrupting compounds. BPA-free containers use BPS, which is likely not any safer than BPA.

Until I see research showing plant tissue can absorb significant amounts of these chemicals, however, I'm not switching from plastic. I imagine one would get a much larger dose when drinking a bottled water that was left in a hot car. Has there been any chemical analysis of container-grown produce that found plastic-derived chemicals accumulating in the plant tissue?

Growing food crop in any plastic containers not certified as food grade HDPE is toxic.... Just saying... They're proven to be carcinogenic and cancer causing.... #2 HDPE is best...

Water is bottled in a specific type of plastic... and indeed it has a specific duration that it can be stored in that specific plastic.... And correct, you should no sooner drink that water from your sweltering car than you should eat produce from a plant grown in on the bottle...

It will take about 20 seconds on Google to find a legitimate study linking the wrong type of plastic to harmful effects when used for planting food crops...

Toronto - Zone 6

Old May 2, 2017   #40
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

If you don't mind paying, then hydro stores sell some nice high quality pots in a variety of sizes.

For just growing in dirt, dead mud buckets are quite sturdy and work nicely. And easily can be made into self-watering installations.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2017   #41
TorontoJoe
Tomatovillian™

Local dialect I suppose. What's a "mud bucket"?

Toronto - Zone 6

Old May 2, 2017   #42
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Buckets that drywall mud comes in.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2017   #43
TorontoJoe
Tomatovillian™

Sure. As long as they bear the #2 on the bottom its safe for long term use on food crop.

1 and 5 are also technically safe PP and LDPE but will leach and degrade over time

Toronto - Zone 6

Old May 2, 2017   #44
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

All you have to do is look at the recycle code to find out what is safe.
I won't even drink water out of plastic clear water bottles.
Set one out in tbe sun for a few days and taste the water and tell me what you think.
I have two stainless bottles I fill every day to drink from.
Worth
Old May 2, 2017   #45
Todd1700
Tomatovillian™

My father has cows. He puts out mineral licks for them that come in these large black plastic tubs. After the cows lick them clean he has no further use for them and they make great planters after you drill a few holes in the bottom. I have been using them for years. If you know anyone with a cattle farm check with them. They probably put these out for their cows as well and are probably just throwing the empty containers away.
Todd1700 is offline   Reply With Quote