Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 12, 2011   #1
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Sweet Potato Harvest - Evangeline vs. Beauregard

Decided to harvest the sweet potatoes today because of the predicted heavy rains, because it's nearly time for the first frost and because the tubers I could see were HUGE. I grew a few slips of Evangeline this because only 4 survived shipment- a refund was given and I'm really glad now that I see the result- a huge disappointment. They were very difficult to harvest and produced tubers that were sometimes 3' away from the plant. Four had rotted. Most were very long and skinny.

The first photo shows the Evangeline tubers from all 4 slips.

The second photo shows the individual harvests from each of the 14 slips of Beauregard- looks like a lot of sweet potato pie in our future.

The third picture is a close-up of one of the piles.

The fourth shows the largest tuber weighing in at 4.31 pounds.

So it's really no contest. Even if the taste of Evangeline is sweeter as claimed, we like Beauregard well enough that I won't be wasting space on Evangeline again. Did anyone else try this one this year and have better luck?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0609.jpg (251.1 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0608.jpg (477.0 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0610.jpg (248.9 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0612.jpg (132.5 KB, 50 views)
kath is offline   Reply With Quote