Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 29, 2013   #31
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Here's a link to a great video on pruning suckers off of indeterminate plants.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJgA4n-sCE8
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013   #32
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

This is the first year Ive stuck to single stem (or maybe two stems) but they are just reaching the top of my trellis at 7 feet. Should I top it? Let it grow? I was thinking of letting a sucker from about mid height take over, and then after the main stem fruit has been harvested, remove it and let the sucker be the main stem. Does anyone else do this?
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013   #33
Andrei
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
This is the first year Ive stuck to single stem (or maybe two stems) but they are just reaching the top of my trellis at 7 feet. Should I top it? Let it grow? I was thinking of letting a sucker from about mid height take over, and then after the main stem fruit has been harvested, remove it and let the sucker be the main stem. Does anyone else do this?
Hi, not sure if I understand you correctly, but in this forum I've seen this french page being linked to as an example for something (I think) very similar:
http://www.tomodori.com/3culture/taill_sur_2-tiges.htm
Andrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013   #34
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
I usually turn them along the top of the trellis and then guide them down. Eventually I can't tell what vine I'm getting toms off of because they have all crisscrossed so many times. Sometimes if I have a good sucker started that looks like it will develop well I will let it go and top the main stem.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013   #35
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

The tomodori link recommends letting them grow no taller than they've set fruit that will ripen in your climate.

My plants got about four clusters set before the weather got too hot to set much more, so that's what I'm aiming for in height, with two to three vines at that length and erring on side of taller. If nothing else, it'll give me a benchmark for next year's fall crop.
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013   #36
beeman
Tomatovillian™

I was always taught to top out at 5 trusses, all on a single stem. That's the maximum, given a 'normal' summer, to ripen all fruit. Otherwise we get tons of greenies.
Seems to work, as we don't have lots of vegetation taking away growth of fruit.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013   #37
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I set out to do single stem the last couple of years, but failed to pull it off. If I missed a few days and once a sucker had buds, I weakened and would let it stay. This year I'm allowing myself two stems and letting one of the early, low suckers become stem number two. I think I'll wait to see how the second stems come along and if they're doing well, maybe I'll also try topping the main stem once it gets too tall. Most of my problems start once they grow beyond the top of the stakes and entangle with each other, so maybe this method will eliminate that problem!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2013   #38
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I have a question about the tomodori pruning technique that was linked.

Why is the stem cut after 3 sets of flowers, with the growth continued on a sucker for three more sets?

Why not just leave the stem for 6 sets of flowers on the first pair of stems?

Is the sucker thought to be more vigorous?

Are the first three sets of fruit thought to ripen faster if the stem above them is cut off?
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2013   #39
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I had planned to do some single stem plants again this year but since almost all of the plants I set out were grafts I decided to go with more stems since I was setting out far fewer plants than usual. I am now glad I did because of the constant rain and disease problems we have had. I would have had no foliage for most of my tomatoes with a single stem. I didn't have enough on a lot of them with many stems because of the foliage loss from disease. Hopefully next year I will get a better start on my grafting and will have enough plants to do another single stem experiment since I was so happy with it last year.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2013   #40
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinPA View Post
I have a question about the tomodori pruning technique that was linked.

Why is the stem cut after 3 sets of flowers, with the growth continued on a sucker for three more sets?

Why not just leave the stem for 6 sets of flowers on the first pair of stems?

Is the sucker thought to be more vigorous?

Are the first three sets of fruit thought to ripen faster if the stem above them is cut off?
By cutting the main stem, there will be a pause until the sucker starts growing strong. That time is used by the plant to exclusively grow the tomatoes, so you have earlier crop.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2015   #41
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

.I have a question regarding the single stem pruning. My black from tula plant has some interesting growth at the top at the moment(looks like 4 stem). Two suckers, one growth stem and the main stem I believe. Where do I prune..? Only remove the two suckers?
Zenbaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2015   #42
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

uploadfromtaptalk1443367558054.jpg
Old September 28, 2015   #43
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

That is a very interesting formation.
The main is forked and then 2 more secondary branches are growing. I would probably prune the side branch on the right and keep the other 3.

Pruning an indet to a single branch is not going to be a good idea. The branch will keep growing live a bean, morning glory for ever. I am in the "Prune It!" camp but i think pruning to a single plant is counter productive.
Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2015   #44
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Next year I am almost going to prune everything to one stem. I usually prune to two, three, or more stems, in 10 gallon or larger containers. I am going to smaller containers and single stem because I miss out on the first truss potential. I will get 50 percent more trusses set on the first truss with smaller containers single stem. 100 containers two vines equals 200 vines, 100 first trusses. 200 containers, single vine equals 200 first truss. If we figure a truss adds up to 5 pounds that is 500 extra pounds right out of the gate.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2015   #45
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

I will try and take a better picture tonight with some annotations on it. I agree I think I will have to keep one of the lateral branches as well as the main one.one lateral branch already has blooms forming whereas the other one doesn't.