Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old January 29, 2015   #31
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

I see. So perhaps its not so much the weight for you but bending over? If you had a table you could have any size container on the table just as long as you can bring the potting mix to the container to fill?

I know this is kit (link below) is very expensive but the idea behind Larry Hall's kiddie pool allow for this to happen; I'm showing this image below not sell you the kit but to give you a visual. All of this can be achieved in a different way for less... you just need a table, a container/pond/mortar bin/pool of some sort and grow bags. Grow bags are awesome because they air-prune the roots for a healthier plant and like I was mentioning walmart bags are quite affordable if you were inclined to go up in size.

http://www.growbaggardensystems.com/...lanter-system]

Last edited by luigiwu; January 29, 2015 at 09:09 AM.
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2015   #32
zackeysmom
Tomatovillian™

That's a good idea. It looks like something my husband can build out of wood.
zackeysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2015   #33
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Ok, maybe I am being silly here, but if your husband can build that, maybe he could fill the pots for you? It would still make watering and tending them easier to have them on a table, but it is more expensive and would probably take him longer than filling the pots.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2015   #34
zackeysmom
Tomatovillian™

That sounds good, but he is so behind on his projects, I don't think it will happen. Besides that's the most fun, having my hands in the soil.
Old January 29, 2015   #35
Misfit
Tomatovillian™

Sorry in advance, I just skimmed this thread. But, if you put your containers on the ground, you'll be back to square one regarding bending over?

Maybe a raised bed, with intermediates, would work better; much less bending over with taller plants.
Also, less costly. You can amend the soil a lot cheaper than it would cost to fill pots, using leaf mulch, and cover crops to build up the soil health?

-Jimmy
Misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2015   #36
zackeysmom
Tomatovillian™

I don't mind bending over a few times. I'm always in pain. I just deal with the daily pain. I try not to ever overdo it. I'm not going to give up gardening because it causes pain. I just have to do alot less of it. I already have potting soil. My husband does the vegetable gardening prep. That is beyond me right now. I tie up the tomatoes and pluck the suckers.
Old February 7, 2015   #37
Tomato Beth
Tomatovillian™

The 5 gallon pickle buckets from Chick-fil-A might also be a good free 5 gallon option. They have tons of those. I'm thinking of picking up a few for the dwarf and cherries I want to grow this summer. Also, just because they're 5 gal buckets doesn't mean you have to fill them to the very top.

Last edited by Tomato Beth; February 7, 2015 at 11:47 AM.
Tomato Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2015   #38
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

If you use a bigger container you can compensate for the volume by using much more perlite. You might find that an 8 gallon container might not weigh much more than a 4 gallon container filled with regular mix.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2015   #39
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

You have to remember that it is the water in a container that weighs the most, the mix itself should not weigh that much if it is a nice fluffly mix like promix
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2015   #40
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Default Revisit the small container varieties

Hi all,

I have been actually trying to get the best 2 gallon / no. 2 container Toms ...

one way around this is to put 2 plants that would do well in the one gallon container :

1 gallon plants for me would include : Red Robin, Rejina Red, Rejina Yellow , Venus , yellow Pygmy , Hahm's gelbe , Andrina , Tiny Tim , (I pass on Micro Tom ) Anmore Dewdrop , Whipper Snapper, Minibel , Mohamed also yellow canary).

if you know of any more one gallon types I am keen to know .

Last edited by BlackBear; May 26, 2015 at 01:21 AM. Reason: I started a new thread of 2 Gallon proper subject
BlackBear is offline   Reply With Quote