Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 25, 2016   #31
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

"Having said something thread appropriate I've several times seen you mention wanting to grow drought tolerant tomatoes and have meant to suggest . . . have you thought of trying direct seeding of some suitable varieties to see if you get better drought resistance?"

Trying not to go too off-topic, I have a 12' x 5.5' raised bed that I had planned on growing peppers in . It's a new bed, but it has at least 20 volunteer tomato plants growing in it. Just today, I've chosen to leave them growing and plant peppers somewhere else. I have given direct seeding more than a thought.

Letting that bed grow all volunteers means I have more extra tomato plants growing and less room in the main garden, but I think it's going to be worth it.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2016   #32
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
"so many great-tasting OP cherry toms"

Not in my garden. Nearly all of them are duds. The same with most red beefsteaks. I think I had one great-tasting OP cherry about a decade ago. It came to me labeled "no-name red cherry". I gave away all of the seeds.

I'll let others comment on SunGold Select, as it was a typical dud for me. Ambrosia Gold was good, by far the closest thing to SunGold for me. But, 2/3 of the way into the harvest season, the flavor basically disappeared. SunGold's flavor goes on and on to the last fruit of the season.

I'd written down all 4 of the OP's,but not sure of myself I found this link which should clarify the situation

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.ph...ngold+versions

Carolyn
Old March 25, 2016   #33
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Tormato, I'm sorry to hear that! Given all the hard work you invest into swapping, you should be rewarded with many tasty varieties

I'm blessed to say that many cherries have been tasty in my conditions - all in fact except Orange Berry. It was supposed to be another very sweet yellow/orange.. but it never tasted anything edible, unless toasted in the oven.

My fave OP orange cherry has been Goldkrone - sweet and intense! and it's relatively early as well. I'd gladly forgo SunGold for the rest of my life!
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2016   #34
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I grew Big Sun Gold Select 2 years ago. I had red and orange cherries on the same plant. The orange cherries were much better than the red. It wasnt Sun Gold F1 but it they sure were a great tomato.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2016   #35
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Tormato, I'm sorry to hear that! Given all the hard work you invest into swapping, you should be rewarded with many tasty varieties

I'm blessed to say that many cherries have been tasty in my conditions - all in fact except Orange Berry. It was supposed to be another very sweet yellow/orange.. but it never tasted anything edible, unless toasted in the oven.

My fave OP orange cherry has been Goldkrone - sweet and intense! and it's relatively early as well. I'd gladly forgo SunGold for the rest of my life!
I am rewarded...mostly with many pink beefsteaks and hearts (almost any color). Anything else and it's hit or miss, mostly miss. So, I know to plant 90% of the above.

Goldkrone was very sweet, but not much flavor.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2016   #36
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Marko's Flortis Cherry

It sounds like the perfect red cherry for me. I keep looking for it in a seed offer to trial it myself or in people's grow lists to ask how it did for them. Haven't found a commercial source at all.

Pink San Marzano

Read about that on a blog, I'm looking for a good San Marzano variety to can (trialing 4 kinds this year), and of course searches don't bring up anything commercial or non. The blog writer is not selling or giving away seeds (this year). I asked.

AND while I'm going on about seeds I can't find, purple sprouting broccoli that will actually overwinter here decently. The seeds I've found are all from the UK or come in packets of huge amounts that I can't possibly use. (I've got a summer variety so we'll see how that does this year. I'm still specifically looking for Red Fire F1 or Red Head OP to try and overwinter under a low tunnel. )
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2016   #37
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
An OP SunGold that tastes exactly like the hybrid.
Augh! I agree! I would LOOOOOVE an OP Sungold that actually tasted like Sungold F1. That's probably my first choice as well.
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2016   #38
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackyardFarm View Post
Marko's Flortis Cherry

It sounds like the perfect red cherry for me. I keep looking for it in a seed offer to trial it myself or in people's grow lists to ask how it did for them. Haven't found a commercial source at all.

Pink San Marzano

Read about that on a blog, I'm looking for a good San Marzano variety to can (trialing 4 kinds this year), and of course searches don't bring up anything commercial or non. The blog writer is not selling or giving away seeds (this year). I asked.

AND while I'm going on about seeds I can't find, purple sprouting broccoli that will actually overwinter here decently. The seeds I've found are all from the UK or come in packets of huge amounts that I can't possibly use. (I've got a summer variety so we'll see how that does this year. I'm still specifically looking for Red Fire F1 or Red Head OP to try and overwinter under a low tunnel. )
I went to find a third link for you and lost my post to you,but what I have on my puter now is the link to Pinetree seeds for your purple sprouting broccoli which I think they have

http://www.superseeds.com/

I can fetch those other links for you,you can find one of them here at tville,just by entering Ciliego in the search,but here's the short version

Marko's Flortis Cherry is the same as Ciliego, aka,nano ciliego. Alex in Canada had sent me three cherries,one was Ciliego,another was Durmitor and I can't remember the third,

The link from here at Tville,which you can do a search for using Ciliego has Mark himself commenting about the situation.

So what you want is Ciliego or nano Ciliego and Tania's site will tell you where to find it,I assume.

Honestly,I saw nothing special about Ciliego compared to many red cherries I've grown,but only you can decide what you like best.

Carolyn
Old March 26, 2016   #39
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I would like a great big red tomato that would make excellent sauce, give me big yields so I didn't have to grow loads of plants. It would have to be growable in BC..oh and if tasted good as a salad one that would be a bonus.

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2016   #40
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackyardFarm View Post
I would LOOOOOVE an OP Sungold that actually tasted like Sungold F1.
Join the club, lol, I think we all would. I tried last year, to no avail, but I have a few new-to-me orange cherries for this year that I still have high hopes for.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2016   #41
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

How do you want that (Most Wanted Tomato, ie ) dead or alive ?
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2016   #42
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

I feel like it could be hard to get my hands on new varieties that are only available from a few US sellers, because quite a few seed vendors don't ship to Europe. Sure there might be a solution for this problem like a personal shopper but this always means extra work/money/time.
I'm planning on planting quite a few dwarfs next season so I have to find out what is my easiest option to get the seeds.
Merediana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2016   #43
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Sometimes it pays to have friends in very strange places. Hibor is a High Brix Orange Pear tomato that is sweeter than Sungold. Think of Yellow Pear shape, Sungold sweet, and reasonably good tomato flavor on a compact indeterminate plant.

Quote:
I want to cross tomatoes that need drought conditions to flourish and produce.
This is highly doable, but not with the genetics you are starting with. There is a wild species closely related to tomato that lives and thrives in the high desert of Chile. Look up Solanum Sitiens and Solanum Lycopersicoides if you want to read about the desert tomatoes and their unique relationship with the domestic tomato.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2016   #44
nicollas
Tomatovillian™

Curious if Carolyn could find this one

Lake Plum
https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlo...l.aspx?1836760

Tried to contact the donor via Facebook but received no answers

The second one is not rare, but seems impossible to order in/from Europe, and is Alberto's shattering.
nicollas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2016   #45
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merediana View Post
I feel like it could be hard to get my hands on new varieties that are only available from a few US sellers, because quite a few seed vendors don't ship to Europe. Sure there might be a solution for this problem like a personal shopper but this always means extra work/money/time.
I'm planning on planting quite a few dwarfs next season so I have to find out what is my easiest option to get the seeds.
Tatiana has quite a few dwarfs and ships to Europe. Jeff Casey (Casey's Heirloom Tomatoes of Airdrie) has lots of good varieties, and ships to Europe. Both have very reasonable postal rates.

Steve

ps: Daps Seeds in the Netherlands has some good varieties. 3 EU for shipping.

Last edited by sjamesNorway; March 26, 2016 at 11:03 AM. Reason: ps
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote