Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 4, 2019   #31
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

I ripped up a couple of rows and replanted with plants I had in containers.
Some donated their limbs to cloning, others were clones.
Lots of dud tomatoes this year.I think they call them spitters.
Cherry tomatoes were a total waste of time/space.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2019   #32
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

wow, sorry you have so many problems with your plants this year. I am also in CT, and while I have some EB, not terrible yet, though I am considering spraying. I have not done any spraying so far t his year, but don't have the kind of problems you do. I will probably have a smaller harvest this year because of the extreme heat and humidity, but sometimes I think that and then end up getting a lot later in the season. Not surprised I have some EB early this year because i was late getting my mulch down and didn't prune the lower leaves. Still have about 1/3 without mulch, but I don't like working outside in 90 degree weather. If I spray and get the rest of the mulch down I can harvest into October with good tasting tomatoes in a warm year if I keep the plants healthy. Once cooler temps start to stick around for too long they don't taste as good. But you never know, so if this is a year where the warm weather sticks around longer than usual I would like to have some healthy plants that are still producing to take advantage of it.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2019   #33
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

I consider it a research year with 30 different varieties,to see what works and what doesn't.
Because of the heat I lost a lot to the "jungle effect"
But then again the grass growing around the plants seemed to save some from blight.
The grass gets the disease and the plants stay ok,like a water heater anode effect.
Old August 4, 2019   #34
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

And we didn't get any rain last night,other parts of the state did.