Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 1, 2015   #451
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Barb, that would be great. I decided that the Painted Pink tomatoes at the demo garden were spaced far enough apart from others to be good for seed saving and collected all the ripe ones this week. I have the seeds fermenting now and so far no floaters so I think there will be plenty to share.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2015   #452
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Kay - That's great news; Please PM me your address.

How has tomato production been? both at your house and the community garden.

----
Larry - I don't use rooting hormone. I've tried in the past and didn't think it made any difference. With SunGold's you can just stick it in water and get a lot of roots.

Tonight I transplanted a NAR (it was beautiful), SunGold from just water, Big Beef and another one that I didn't label but was important and good because I gave it one of my strawberry containers.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2015   #453
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Apparently my Broccoli doesn't suffer from what ever is affecting my Beans. I estimate 15% is now heading. This is the largest I could find:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Premium Crop Heading.JPG (195.0 KB, 38 views)
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2015   #454
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Do you think it is nematodes?
Old November 1, 2015   #455
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Do you think it is nematodes?
My bean problem is likely a bacterial or fungal disease but it is not evident what it is. I may ask at the extension office. Maybe someone else has had the problem, but I doubt if many gardeners here grow the quantity of snap beans that I do, but it's worth a shot.
I pulled some of the sick beans today. The roots on the Jade IIs were beautiful. Large and full of nitrogen nodules. I always inoculate bean seeds when I plant them.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2015   #456
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Barb I am having really good production. It is interesting to be able to compare the production between my home and the demonstration garden. Both sites have the same varietes and I can tell the buzzing does make a difference. Also I am using Marsha's spray here and am not having the leaf issues that are on the ones there.
Old November 2, 2015   #457
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
Apparently my Broccoli doesn't suffer from what ever is affecting my Beans. I estimate 15% is now heading. This is the largest I could find:
Hi Larry

That is great! Its such a good feeling when things are growing well.

They look really nice.

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2015   #458
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
My bean problem is likely a bacterial or fungal disease but it is not evident what it is. I may ask at the extension office. Maybe someone else has had the problem, but I doubt if many gardeners here grow the quantity of snap beans that I do, but it's worth a shot.
I pulled some of the sick beans today. The roots on the Jade IIs were beautiful. Large and full of nitrogen nodules. I always inoculate bean seeds when I plant them.
Larry
What do you innoculate them with? I only had a few peas so I used Mykos which I already had on hand but was never sure if that was ok for them. Some are doing great and others are wilting and dying.

Ginny
Old November 2, 2015   #459
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
Barb I am having really good production. It is interesting to be able to compare the production between my home and the demonstration garden. Both sites have the same varietes and I can tell the buzzing does make a difference. Also I am using Marsha's spray here and am not having the leaf issues that are on the ones there.
Interesting to be able to see the differences in the gardens. So happy the buzzing is helping too . Is your Garden Gem getting the pr9duction that Barbs is?

Ginny
Old November 2, 2015   #460
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Barb- you do the most interesting experiments. You are our personal resident scientist.
Totally agree!!

I love leaening from Barb's experiments.

Ginny
Old November 2, 2015   #461
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Kay, I have started electric toothbrush buzzings since I am not getting my vegibee until Christmas. I can't get over the pollen cloud- so cool.
That spray is indispensable to me, I started it last season with my 4" pot seedlings because last September(2014) was severly rainy(fungus), and I needed healthy seedlings for my garden club's sale, and worms were also an issue in 2013, so I tried the spray mix. In 2013, I was using the copper at the full weakest recom., (not like the 1/2 of weakest I use now) and learned that it caused leaf curl and distortion issues that took the plant about 3 weeks to recover from, so I started diluting to 1/2 of weakest(1/2 Tablespoon copper concentrate per gallon) and that was the "sweet spot".
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2015   #462
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Ginny, I did not plant Garden Gem at home but the one at the demonstration garden is loaded with tomatoes. I have tried two now and I am impressed with the flavor.

Marsha, I have to laugh thinking about how many of us are out there buzzing our tomato plants now.
I use a different brand of copper and it says to use 3-5 tablespoons. I used 2 but after reading your post wonder if I should take it down to 1 tablespoon.
Old November 2, 2015   #463
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Ginny, I did not plant Garden Gem at home but the one at the demonstration garden is loaded with tomatoes. I have tried two now and I am impressed with the flavor.

Marsha, I have to laugh thinking about how many of us are out there buzzing our tomato plants now.
I use a different brand of copper and it says to use 3-5 tablespoons. I used 2 but after reading your post wonder if I should take it down to 1 tablespoon.
I know! The village crazy people, right? There are different formulationd such as copper sulfate, or copper octanoate, and Southern Ag is yet a different one. That's why I say to be safe, just use whatever is half of the weakest dose per your brand's bottle directions.
Kay- if you don't really see smaller leaves after using, then you are probably alright. Yours probably isn't as strong as my brand. That Southern Ag is some seriously concentrated stuff!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2015   #464
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Knock on wood, but I have not had to spray for fungus at all yet. I was always terrible at it; but will use Marsha's formula when the time is needed.

I had a few catepillars in small tomato plants buy mainly they are interested in the cucumber leaves. My cuke plants are massive; I have the betas, garden together sharing the same water source. And the Lemon Cucumber (shaped like a Lemon) by the Earthboxes. I finally have lots of flowers on the Lemon plant and bees are buzzing away. Hopefully fruit will come next.

---
Kay; what was the verdict on the Florida F1 with the crappy germination rate? I don't think you missed anything not getting Garden Treasure; pretty slow compared to GG and similar in size to Big Beef but now BB is outproducing # of flowers, etc and quicker tomato growth.

I am so tempted to buy more GG seeds; Just waiting to taste. This may be the holy grail of tomato plant for me; My tomatoes are way larger than the ones on the GG facebook page. Biggest ones are now the size of a large chicken egg.
Old November 2, 2015   #465
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

The one they called New Hybrid has produce a fair amount of tomatoes but nothing like Garden Gem. They are probably going t be 608 ounces. I have no idea how the taste will be because they are slow to ripen. The Garden Gem is like an extra large egg. I just weigh the one I brought home and it was 2.35 ounces.