Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 9, 2013   #451
kevn357
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I have only used the Ultrasorb from Auto Zone and it has been fantastic. I see no need to try anything else at this point unless it becomes hard to get. Fifteen pounds when using egg cartons for trays will go a very long way. It is so much cheaper than any other seed starting mix and so easy to use. I find the size of the Utrasorb to be just about perfect for any size seed that I will be transplanting except beans which I prefer to plant in potting soil because it clings to their limited roots better.
Thanks.

I bought the Ultrasorb and filled up 75 paper pots and have at least 12lbs left. I'm going to use the dense planting method and should have plenty left for 300-400 starters before i bring in my much more expensive usual mix.
kevn357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2013   #452
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Remember this stuff needs to be bottom watered when starting seed. Don't know how that will work with paper pots.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2013   #453
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Thanks RayR. Planting day is soooo close.
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2013   #454
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

We've made paper pots for 15+ years and I find the density of the moist DE to be too heavy for paper pot, unless you use tape which we don't. After trying one in a paper pot I've resorted to using plastic plugs, that in it self creates a problem with them leaking DE out of the bottom drain holes.

Last edited by neoguy; March 9, 2013 at 04:37 PM.
neoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2013   #455
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Remember this stuff needs to be bottom watered when starting seed. Don't know how that will work with paper pots.
Never used DE in them, but paper pots are bottom watered. The paper acts like a wick. It would seem to be compatible. I am very interested in seeing the results though! Next year I may use DE myself. As he said, Optisorb is significantly cheaper than a high quality soil-less seed starting mix. And paper is basically free for the recycling. So if it works it would make an old cheapskate like me very happy to use it!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2013   #456
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoguy View Post
After trying one in a paper pot I've resorted to using plastic plugs, that in it self creates a problem with them leaking DE out of the bottom drain holes.
Might I suggest a square of regular kitchen towel in the bottom of each pot. Should stop the DE running out the bottom and create a wick for the water.
I plan to try this when the time comes.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2013   #457
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman View Post
Might I suggest a square of regular kitchen towel in the bottom of each pot. Should stop the DE running out the bottom and create a wick for the water.
I plan to try this when the time comes.

I used square cotton for makeup removal and such, it worked well to stop the DE from coming out of the bottom holes but when I transplanted it made it difficult to remove from the tray. It was also difficult to separate the seedlings because the roots grew into the cotton.

I think my next try will be to use the plastic cups from the coffee pot, it might help in the recycling of stuff too. It is wasteful but I don't use it as much as I do the regular pot.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2013   #458
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I haven't owned a drip coffee maker in over ten years, but for some reason I still had a package of basket filters in a kitchen cabinet. I flattened out some filters and trimmed them into a large square, then cut that into four smaller squares. Before I fill the pot, I dip a square of filter material into some water and them push into the bottom of the pot. It seems to be working great so far.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2013   #459
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I found out the hard way about DE and large drain holes. I now use almost exclusively egg cartons and make several holes in each cell that are small enough to keep most of the DE in and yet allow quick bottom watering. When I use a larger pot with regular drain holes I just put some bark fines in the bottom and then fill with DE.
Old March 13, 2013   #460
kevn357
Tomatovillian™

The paper pots just help the wicking. No problems at all with them and no need for holes in the bottom. So far so good. Will update with photos and results.
Edit* I see no need for drain holes with the paper pots. They wick and drain very well without them. I bottom watered the newly made paper pots filled with DE and they sucked it right up to the top. I used trays (like you see at fast food joints) to keep them on. Put some saran wrap on top (not tight) and heating pads on low at the bottom of the trays.

Last edited by kevn357; March 13, 2013 at 01:00 AM.
Old March 13, 2013   #461
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I even quit using the plastic wrap over the top when using DE because the seed sprouted so fast without it.
Old March 13, 2013   #462
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

yeah, I quit using a plastic cover with DE also, it seems to hold enough moisture and has virtually eliminated dampening off disease on my tomatoes, peppers and eggplants... fantastic stuff ... what a trick. I've started mixing pro mix hp 50/50 with the large size DE and filling the bottom 1/4 of the cups with it then filling with large DE, laying the seeds on top of the watered DE and then covering a 1/4 inch on top with the dry small size DE. It keeps the DE from dropping out the bottom of my commercially punched drain holes.
Old March 13, 2013   #463
Levent
Tomatovillian™

Micro Tom started setting fruit.
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...811#post333811
Levent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2013   #464
kevn357
Tomatovillian™

I had a "stump of the world" germinate in 18 hours with the DE. No south facing window either. Don't have any available . I also have 35 varieties with no germination after 72 hours so that was weird. I need to get these guys some sun!
Old March 15, 2013   #465
RayR
Tomatovillian™

18 hours, I like when that happens. 72 hours would be nice too, but that doesn't happen often.
They don't need light, they need heat. Got them on bottom heat?
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote