Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 15, 2013   #466
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

My first confession is the fact that I have NOT read this entire long thread. Just most of the first page and this last page. So I'm sure I missed a lot.

But the subject interested me to use it as a blend in my potting mix. Actually I use the same mix for everything except huge pots.

Anyway, I'm thinking of adding about 1 part of "oil dry" to my mix of peat, perlite, and vermiculite. I also add small amounts of some more expensive stuff with Micros (the bacteria stuff not the nutrient stuff) and some molasses to keep the micros alive til the seeds have roots. Unfortunately the BX stuff isn't available in my area without a high shipping charge.

To that end while I was at Menards yesterday I found a 25 lb bag on sale for 2.99. Sale lasts til 3/17.

I thought that was a good price. Especially compared to kitty litter.

So if anyone can let me know if I'm looking at any problems due to missing info in the part of the thread I haven't read.

Thanks,
Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2013   #467
JoParrott

It would benefit you to take time and read the entire thread. DE is fast becoming a favorite not only to amend soil, but for starting seeds.
Old March 15, 2013   #468
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
My first confession is the fact that I have NOT read this entire long thread. Just most of the first page and this last page. So I'm sure I missed a lot.

But the subject interested me to use it as a blend in my potting mix. Actually I use the same mix for everything except huge pots.

Anyway, I'm thinking of adding about 1 part of "oil dry" to my mix of peat, perlite, and vermiculite. I also add small amounts of some more expensive stuff with Micros (the bacteria stuff not the nutrient stuff) and some molasses to keep the micros alive til the seeds have roots. Unfortunately the BX stuff isn't available in my area without a high shipping charge.

To that end while I was at Menards yesterday I found a 25 lb bag on sale for 2.99. Sale lasts til 3/17.

I thought that was a good price. Especially compared to kitty litter.

So if anyone can let me know if I'm looking at any problems due to missing info in the part of the thread I haven't read.

Thanks,
Carol
Carol, Oil Dri is a Bentonite clay product, it is not Diatomaeous Earth (a.k.a Diatomite). Oil Dri may make a fine amendment to soils or container mixes in small quantities but be aware that it has a PH of 5.0 from what I've read, so it could lower the PH of your mix if too much is used. There is no way of knowing that without testing.
The Moltan Ultrasorb/OptiSorb/Blue Ribbon Kitty Litter products are 100% Diatomaeous Earth which is inert with a near neutral PH, so if you don't want to alter your container mix PH in any way and just want the advantages of better water and nutrient retention, then that would be the safe way to go.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2013   #469
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Thank's Ray.

I wondered if it was the same but I haven't seen the Ultrasorb so couldn't tell. The bag just said "natural product" but didn't say what. It did warn on the label about dust and silicosis, so I thought maybe it was the same.

I plant on mixing it in as probably 1/2 bucket of Oil Dri to 1 bucket each of my other stuff. It's rather heavy and should add some body to my mix. I used to use black sand we have here, but the weeds got to be too much.

Thanks again,
Carol
Old March 15, 2013   #470
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

This is the MSDS on the Oil Dry that Menards has on sale.

Dutch
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Oil_Dri1003000.pdf (520.7 KB, 26 views)
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2013   #471
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

At Autozone the product number for the DE you want is #8818

Here is a quote from RayR I think... his reply to when I bought the wrong DE at Autozone and ended up saying "Oh crap"...

It isn't crap, the clay absorbent you bought is MONTMORILLONITE CLAY, a form of hard weathered volcanic ash, it is a bit on the acidic side but it's rich in minerals, has a high cation exchange, and is pretty structurally stable, so it would make a fine soil amendment. I just wouldn't start seeds in it (I already tried that) because of its acidity.

The Ultrasorb bag isn't that much smaller, DE is just a lot lighter in weight than the clay.
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2013   #472
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

So, I'm not sure if this would be best in the Soil Building or here, but here goes anyway. Since I have 33lbs of the higer acidic side, would this be good to add to some of my layering with paper and coffee grounds as I start my new soil building areas on my property.

If so how much would you add to the ground? Just scatter it on top of some of the layers?
Old March 15, 2013   #473
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroma View Post
At Autozone the product number for the DE you want is #8818

Here is a quote from RayR I think... his reply to when I bought the wrong DE at Autozone and ended up saying "Oh crap"...

It isn't crap, the clay absorbent you bought is MONTMORILLONITE CLAY, a form of hard weathered volcanic ash, it is a bit on the acidic side but it's rich in minerals, has a high cation exchange, and is pretty structurally stable, so it would make a fine soil amendment. I just wouldn't start seeds in it (I already tried that) because of its acidity.

The Ultrasorb bag isn't that much smaller, DE is just a lot lighter in weight than the clay.
You are right on zeroma!
Carol can find Ultrasorb in her area at
AUTOZONE
915 S MAIN ST
WEST BEND, WI 53095
(262) 335-2291
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...mString=search
Dutch
Old March 15, 2013   #474
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I know where the AutoZone is. It just happened that I was at Menard's for something else yesterday and thought I had found a similar product. And I was too tired to make another stop that day.

So I'll check out AutoZone next week.

Thanks for all the help,
Carol
Old March 16, 2013   #475
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I just did a Google search on Ultrasorb and found a couple of other sources for it.

O'Reilly Auto parts also carries it and it looks like they have the 25 lb bag at a better price / lb than the AutoZone 15 lb bag.

Costco lists the 33.5 lb bag at a great price but the web site lists it as "temp out of stock".

For me O'Reilly and AutoZone are just down the street from each other but Costco is about 20 + miles away and I'm not a member. So hopefully both of my auto stores have some in stock so I can get some to add to my mix.

Carol
Old March 16, 2013   #476
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I just did a Google search on Ultrasorb and found a couple of other sources for it.

O'Reilly Auto parts also carries it and it looks like they have the 25 lb bag at a better price / lb than the AutoZone 15 lb bag.

Costco lists the 33.5 lb bag at a great price but the web site lists it as "temp out of stock".

For me O'Reilly and AutoZone are just down the street from each other but Costco is about 20 + miles away and I'm not a member. So hopefully both of my auto stores have some in stock so I can get some to add to my mix.

Carol
Carol, O'Reilly's also carries OptiSorb, which is the same DE product in a larger granule size similar to perlite. That's the size I prefer for amending container soils.

Old March 16, 2013   #477
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroma View Post
So, I'm not sure if this would be best in the Soil Building or here, but here goes anyway. Since I have 33lbs of the higer acidic side, would this be good to add to some of my layering with paper and coffee grounds as I start my new soil building areas on my property.

If so how much would you add to the ground? Just scatter it on top of some of the layers?
Either spread it around or work it in if you are preparing a bed. Calcium Montmorillonite is sold as a soil amendment for mineralization and water retention by some companies out there, I seen recommendations for as little as 2 cups/100sq ft.
Depends on the type of soil you're starting with, sandy soils with a low CEC and poor water retention could use more of it, clay soils not so much.
Old March 16, 2013   #478
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Clay soil here, so I'll just get a cup and start sprinkling on top of the ivy as my first layer. That way it will be the closest to the soil. I'm pretty sure that is what I bought years ago when we lived in Wisconson with clay soil to condition it. As I recall it looked like the pieces of garden soil that would get tracked into the house on the soles of my shoes, little squares and clay like bits.

I may take the hedge trimmers out and clip the ivy down to the ground, well as close to the ground as possible. We first get a nice break in our weather. Hubbster did a small portion of it late fall and it still looks dryed out/dead. I know better though, it will come back with vengence with the first summy day. Those ivy leaves can be my first 'green' layer with the next layer newspaper

I really need to take some pictures of my ivy DE hill and tomato starting in DE.

Last edited by zeroma; March 16, 2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old March 16, 2013   #479
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

But the Optisorb is quite a bit more for the same sized bag.

What I get may depend on what the stores here carry tho.

Carol
Old March 16, 2013   #480
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
But the Optisorb is quite a bit more for the same sized bag.

What I get may depend on what the stores here carry tho.

Carol
Hi Carol,
Good luck on your DE hunt. Winter just doesn't want to leave this year. How far away are you from firing up the boiler for the greenhouses.
Dutch