Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 8, 2017   #466
oakley
Tomatovillian™

We are expecting some snow flurries, but i predicted that being how things go.
Highs and lows this time of year.
I'll slide everything into the garage tonight....

Having suffered through Irene, Igor, and Sandy, to name a few, i have a list that we take
seriously. Not long, one page, but a helpful reminder what we should do. Usually Fall
storms but recently with high winds we take a look at it. (taped up behind an upper
kitchen cabinet door).
I posted it a few years ago on another forum and got some chuckles as if it was a bit
overboard. Simple prep is often never enough.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2017   #467
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
We are expecting some snow flurries, but i predicted that being how things go.
Highs and lows this time of year.
I'll slide everything into the garage tonight....

Having suffered through Irene, Igor, and Sandy, to name a few, i have a list that we take
seriously. Not long, one page, but a helpful reminder what we should do. Usually Fall
storms but recently with high winds we take a look at it. (taped up behind an upper
kitchen cabinet door).
I posted it a few years ago on another forum and got some chuckles as if it was a bit
overboard. Simple prep is often never enough.
Those lists become important after you have experienced what storms can do.

We don't usually have much time to react, it's basically trying to get below ground as quickly as possible and hope it isn't your turn.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2017   #468
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

We just experienced our first hail storm of the season. They predicted rain and a possibility of hail. I played it safe and stayed home before the time hail/rain was predicted. My husband had no choice so his car was pummeled with golf ball sized hail and has lots of dents, chipped paint, a lost logo from the trunk, and broken wipers. Whew. One of the malls lost most of their skylights and had lots of flooded stores.

And this is just the beginning of our May weather. . .
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2017   #469
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruofgardens View Post
We just experienced our first hail storm of the season. They predicted rain and a possibility of hail. I played it safe and stayed home before the time hail/rain was predicted. My husband had no choice so his car was pummeled with golf ball sized hail and has lots of dents, chipped paint, a lost logo from the trunk, and broken wipers. Whew. One of the malls lost most of their skylights and had lots of flooded stores.

oh wow oh wow. so sorry. I think hail has to be the most feared force to a gardener. at least with cold you get a warning and can cover it or rain... well it is rain, unless it is flooding, but hail. oh no. destruction everywhere from that.
Old May 8, 2017   #470
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the condolences with the damage. The only plants I had growing were garlic and onions, though the rhubarb leaves were shredded. They'll recover.

I know better than to plant tomatoes or peppers this early in the month. I also 'cover' them with a heavy sunscreen fabric on the cage and don't remove the screening until the middle of July. Our hailstorms should be over by then . . . hopefully.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2017   #471
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Most plants survive hail surprisingly well. I've seen pics of plant pounded flat, propped up, and looking normal within a couple of weeks.

OTOH. if the skylights at the mall shattered, then someone was dropping cinder blocks from the sky.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2017   #472
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruofgardens View Post

Oh my gosh. I can't imagine how that would have been in a car with it happening.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2017   #473
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Oh my gosh. I can't imagine how that would have been in a car with it happening.
My uncle in Oklahoma had a big Lincoln continental on the interstate.Hail pounded out the windshield and it looked like someone took a ball pean hammer and dented it one inch apart all over! . It was incredible but really scary as he and aunt were forced off the road.. Jimbo
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2017   #474
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbotomateo View Post
My uncle in Oklahoma had a big Lincoln continental on the interstate.Hail pounded out the windshield and it looked like someone took a ball pean hammer and dented it one inch apart all over! . It was incredible but really scary as he and aunt were forced off the road.. Jimbo
Oh my gosh, so scary to even think about. Wow!

~Margaret Atwood~

Old May 9, 2017   #475
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Oh my gosh, so scary to even think about. Wow!
Rockporter they drove the car out here after it happened and my Aunt described the whole scene and how terrified they were! . The car looked like giant waffle and uncle said it wasn't covered by insurance. I remember thinking what a bummer that was!. I don't even know if you can get insurance for that sort of thing. . Jimbo
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2017   #476
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbotomateo View Post
Rockporter they drove the car out here after it happened and my Aunt described the whole scene and how terrified they were! . The car looked like giant waffle and uncle said it wasn't covered by insurance. I remember thinking what a bummer that was!. I don't even know if you can get insurance for that sort of thing. . Jimbo
That must have been one long drive to your house.

I think hail is covered on cars here in Texas now. But for your home you have to have a wind/hail policy.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old May 9, 2017   #477
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Rainy and cool thru Thursday, then the 15 day forecast looks dry. Might set a few out early reddy's in pots this weekend, main stuff will go out the last week of May.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2017   #478
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

We have very nice weather down here in mid southeast. There is no big rain in the forecast.
Mostly sunny , cool breezy with high reaching mid 80s with low RH.
The downside is that I have to start watering more frequently.
Time to add some more mulch to keep the moisture from evaporating.

WISHING YOU A CLEMENT WEATHER.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2017   #479
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Nothing funny about the hail but it did remind me of the statie asking John Candy "Do you really feel this vehickle is safe for the highway"? One of my fav movies for amusement...very funny!
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2017   #480
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Am around Indianapolis and there was frost Sunday night, so was going to put some in today because 10 day looks great - just what i was waiting for - now, apparently i have not hardened them off from the sun - see pic's, so now i have to wait till???? a string of cloudy days??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sunburn Toms1.jpg (478.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Sunburn Toms.jpg (494.3 KB, 43 views)
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote