Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 16, 2013   #481
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

It's running and I have just a few flats of cole stuff in there right now.

Actually getting it running was why I was at Menard's the other day. The pump that runs the floor heat loop was dead and I needed a new pump. But I was a week late. Last weekend's rain and snow melt meant lots of water in basements so Menard's and H-D were both out of the type I wanted. Fleet Farm finally had something I could afford. Not exactly what I wanted but usable.

I should have had things going about 2 weeks ago, but Mom has had a bad month and I have been rather tied up with her. Then I had to get caught up on the orders that came in during that time. Almost have them all taken care of.

So I'm a bit behind but I really don't have the drive to get going on it this year. The weather sure hasn't helped either.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2013   #482
kevn357
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
18 hours, I like when that happens. 72 hours would be nice too, but that doesn't happen often.
They don't need light, they need heat. Got them on bottom heat?
The 18 hour freak had bottom heat. I had 23 varieties on that same tray. All had some germinating within 72 hours. I planted 10-25 seeds per paper pot though.

My other tray that didn't germinate yet had no bottom heat for the first 48 hours.
kevn357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2013   #483
kevn357
Tomatovillian™

Just a small update with more info. The DE works fantastic and will never use peet again with starters. I have 55 tomato varieties in paper pots with 8-25 seeds per pot. All the 55 pots have some germination within 5 days. I'm not sure of the germination rate yet but it looks good.

Today, I moved them under the lights, bottom watered and left to work a 12 hour shift. I came home expecting dried out pots and found moist DE with more germination . The DE is much better than peet with moisture retention for sure.

DE plus the paper pots is a bottom watering dream. Saved me so much time so far. I'm sure it will catch up to me in some way but I'm loving it. I'm so glad I found this thread!
kevn357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2013   #484
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevn357 View Post
The 18 hour freak had bottom heat. I had 23 varieties on that same tray. All had some germinating within 72 hours. I planted 10-25 seeds per paper pot though.

My other tray that didn't germinate yet had no bottom heat for the first 48 hours.
Very good! I just started seeding hot peppers tonight, tomorrow more hots and the sweets and eggplant.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2013   #485
jamserg
Tomatovillian™

Well, I tried starting seeds (tomatoes and peppers) in DE for the first time and kinda confused. I started half the seeds in DE (fine) and half in regular media I use (faffard fine mix). The ones in DE propagated 1-2 days earlier and at a higher rate. However 2 weeks later the size of seedlings in DE is 1/3 of the seedlings in the mix. Conditions are absolutely the same (under the lights). Any input would be appreciated.
jamserg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2013   #486
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamserg View Post
Well, I tried starting seeds (tomatoes and peppers) in DE for the first time and kinda confused. I started half the seeds in DE (fine) and half in regular media I use (faffard fine mix). The ones in DE propagated 1-2 days earlier and at a higher rate. However 2 weeks later the size of seedlings in DE is 1/3 of the seedlings in the mix. Conditions are absolutely the same (under the lights). Any input would be appreciated.
Pictures might help for comparison, I'd like to see the stems and the leaves.
Fafard Super-Fine Germinating Mix has starter nutrients in it. Did you lightly fertilize your seedlings in DE?
Old March 18, 2013   #487
jamserg
Tomatovillian™

There's no info on Fafard bag that it has nutrients, so I always thought it didn't have any (shows peat, perlite and vermiculate). Here's the picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1.jpg (251.7 KB, 132 views)

Last edited by jamserg; March 18, 2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old March 18, 2013   #488
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Might try some fertilization!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2013   #489
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamserg View Post
There's no info on Fafard bag that it has nutrients, so I always thought it didn't have any (shows peat, perlite and vermiculate). Here's the picture
There is according to their web site

Those peppers in the Fafard are only 2 weeks old and the same variety as the peppers in the DE?
Old March 18, 2013   #490
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

It would be interesting to see the root balls on both also. That was the 'amazing' growth I saw when looking at some of the other posters experiements. And I would think at this stage of developement, the roots would be the most important area of growth.
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2013   #491
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroma View Post
It would be interesting to see the root balls on both also. That was the 'amazing' growth I saw when looking at some of the other posters experiements. And I would think at this stage of developement, the roots would be the most important area of growth.
I start lightly fertilizing the DE plants just days after they pop up. I found that waiting too long caused them to grow way too slow and basically just sit there. I use a very dilute Miracle Grow at first and strengthen it a bit as they get bigger and have true leaves. I also pot up sooner using the DE for a seed starter but would never go back to the other starting mediums. DE has virtually eliminated an awful damping off problem that I have dealt with for years. I had one tomato seedling out of several hundred get damping off and that was because I forgot to remove the egg carton from the watering tray and left it sitting in water for two days.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2013   #492
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Can peppers really grow two sets of true leaves in just two weeks?

I have also potted up all the plants started in DE to regular potting mix quite soon after first true leaves started to form. Tiny flowering tobacco seedlings were really easy to transplant from the DE and all of them survived after the transplanting. Now I have marigolds starting and I may keep them in my starting tray a bit longer and see how they grow in it when fertilized.
I am also using the DE for rooting cuttings. Fuchsias have been rooting and growing well with this method, so yesterday I put petunia cuttings in the DE.

Sari
Old March 20, 2013   #493
jamserg
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
There is according to their web site

Those peppers in the Fafard are only 2 weeks old and the same variety as the peppers in the DE?
Yes, and in DE they propagated 2 days earlier
Old March 20, 2013   #494
jamserg
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroma View Post
I pulled them out (transplanting to bigger pots) and the root difference was even bigger. In DE roots were maybe 4-5 times smaller. I might try and plant seeds in more coarse DE and see if it's going to make a difference.
Old March 20, 2013   #495
jamserg
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by svalli View Post
Can peppers really grow two sets of true leaves in just two weeks?

I have also potted up all the plants started in DE to regular potting mix quite soon after first true leaves started to form. Tiny flowering tobacco seedlings were really easy to transplant from the DE and all of them survived after the transplanting. Now I have marigolds starting and I may keep them in my starting tray a bit longer and see how they grow in it when fertilized.
I am also using the DE for rooting cuttings. Fuchsias have been rooting and growing well with this method, so yesterday I put petunia cuttings in the DE.

Sari
2 weeks was a ballpark. 2-3 weeks would be more accurate ( I don't remember exactly)