Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 20, 2016   #481
Kazedwards
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Seed is suggested to be 3 years old, max, unless you're sending in varieties for others wish lists. Then, I'll accept any age. If new seed also comes in for the same varieties, that's what participants will receive. If not, then old seed is better than none at all, for trying to get hard to find varieties.

Coming up short of 10 packs (to enter a category?) is OK as long as it is not abused too often, and as long as it's not in a category with few participants. Otherwise, things can come up short for all participants in that category.

Since posting I read through some of the MMMM swap treads from previous years. I plan on having 10+ of several. I have a few from last year that I have more seed than I need but not enough for 10 packs that I thought I would throw in too. I see that they would be 'extras'. Now. Thanks for the reply tormato. Is it too early to start a 2016 tread?

-Zach
Old June 20, 2016   #482
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Crovarese looks lovely! So does the description at that Italian seed site..
Not that I need any more cherry tom varieties...!
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2016   #483
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazedwards View Post
Since posting I read through some of the MMMM swap treads from previous years. I plan on having 10+ of several. I have a few from last year that I have more seed than I need but not enough for 10 packs that I thought I would throw in too. I see that they would be 'extras'. Now. Thanks for the reply tormato. Is it too early to start a 2016 tread?

-Zach
Yes, it's too early.

If I started it now, the thread drift would put the 2016 MMMM somewhere in the middle of the Pacific without a paddle.
A few days ago it was about the SEMO catalog from the Cz Rep.

If you read through "some" of the previous years posts, you know how things can quickly get off topic, making it hard to find what you're looking for.

Late August is only a couple of months away. Have you made your wish list, yet?
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2016   #484
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Crovarese looks lovely! So does the description at that Italian seed site..
Not that I need any more cherry tom varieties...!
No, not that you do.

The thread drift now goes to Finland. What time does the sun set on the summer solstice, there?
Old June 20, 2016   #485
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Well, this is our 'last night' for a while: funnily, we are having full moon, a very rare occurrence before the summer solstice..!

After this, we'll have 'nightless night', meaning that it's gonna be sunshine 24/7, unless there are clouds on the sky...
Old June 20, 2016   #486
kchd..
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
I have plenty of seed if you want some and don't want to wait to see if you get it in the swap. I grew out 6 plants of it since I loved the foliage and growth so much. it is a tall plant, mine are starting to hit the 6' mark and have been happily growing in a 3 gallon pot.

The only two I have had a bit of a problem with down here has been Pravda and Klukva v. Sahare. Didn't take me long to figure out they really like it on the dry side. Had a bit of leaf yellowing when they were about 3' tall. Once I cut back on their watering they been happy and going to town.

That sounds awesome, Starlight. Love your photos. 108F?!? Oh lort! It hasn't gotten that hot here in MS yet, but we've hit the high 90s.
I'm sure I have some heat tolerant varieties I can send you, too. I'll send you a PM.
kchd.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2016   #487
Aerial
Tomatovillian™

Sounds amazing, and the weather is perfect now. Do crops grow faster and better given the forever daylight?

I'd love living in Finland in the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
After this, we'll have 'nightless night', meaning that it's gonna be sunshine 24/7, unless there are clouds on the sky...

Last edited by Aerial; June 21, 2016 at 11:56 AM.
Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2016   #488
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial View Post
Sounds amazing, and the weather is perfect now. Do crops grow faster and better given the forever daylight?

I'd love living in Finland in the summer.
I am not sure I can answer for sure if everything grows faster or better, but given the short season, this allows many plants to reach their potential, and taste delicious.
Dill for example: the aroma is more intense than the one grown in Southern latitudes. (Basil and Oregano on the other hand do better in places like Greece and Italy... sunny days and dark nights...)
Strawberries also have very special flavor - unless it's raining all the time...
Very sunny and hot now - we need all the sunshine we can get! Especially the tomatoes!

Last edited by NarnianGarden; June 21, 2016 at 12:50 PM.
Old June 25, 2016   #489
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I'm about 2 months from starting the main MMMM thread.

However, when I hear that someone has dried all of their saved seed and is wanting to post their send in list, I'll start the 2016 MMMM Spoiler Alert. This thread will be for those that want to know some of the varieties that are coming in, and can select some or all of their wish list from the Spoiler Alert.

I'll also have a warning in the first post to not read any further, if you want things to remain a mystery.
Old June 26, 2016   #490
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Can somebody please tell me or show me one of their pics of Green Tiger? I am not sure how to tell when it is done to pick. I have some yellow showing like the description said, but it not a bright yellow? It's more like a greenish yellow. I don't want to pick and ferment all those seeds to find out I picked em to early and they won't sprout for folks.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2016   #491
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

It's my understanding that any tomato starting to "blush" (color change) is ripe enough for saving seed, but not quite ripe enough for eating. Someone can correct me, if necessary.

Dr. Lve Apple
Old June 28, 2016   #492
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Can somebody please tell me or show me one of their pics of Green Tiger? I am not sure how to tell when it is done to pick. I have some yellow showing like the description said, but it not a bright yellow? It's more like a greenish yellow. I don't want to pick and ferment all those seeds to find out I picked em to early and they won't sprout for folks.
Do remember to eat some, as well - not just use all for seed saving...
Old June 28, 2016   #493
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
It's my understanding that any tomato starting to "blush" (color change) is ripe enough for saving seed, but not quite ripe enough for eating. Someone can correct me, if necessary.

Dr. Lve Apple
I am absolutely not an expert, but in my experience, some seeds are mature when they start to blush, but the riper they are, the fewer immature seeds I have. I'd say OK to pick at blush but let them ripen fully if you can before saving seed.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2016   #494
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Thanks folks. That helps me alot. I'll pick some today. I had just been letting them stay until I knew for sure.

Narnian... I have thousands of seeds fermenting and drying for swap now. So I have manged to munch on a few. Think the only two I haven't tried yet is the Green Tiger and the Purple Bumblebee which has not blushed yet. : )

Tormato... For the Knock Your Socks Off group or what ever it is called, what kind of tomato are you looking for for this group? I got a couple of surprises from the seed I got that I think might fit that category.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2016   #495
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

"Knock Your Socks Off" can be any tomato that simply has great flavor, not just very good flavor. I can't help you if you don't wear socks.

However, the "Desert Island" category is for the ONE AND ONLY tomato that is your absolute favorite, above all of the KYSO ones.