Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 29, 2016   #496
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

'Desert Island' hmm, these tomato swap categories begin to sound more and more like reality-TV programs. Hopefully there won't be anything like 'Big Brother is watching' or 'Last Survivor' ... or... how about
'Extreme Makeover' aka 'Pimp my seeds'
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2016   #497
HappyGardener23
Tomatovillian™

Has there ever been a category for ruffled, fluted, or otherwise beautiful tomatoes? I think that stripes and bicolors are quite striking but I don't know what other category might represent "pretty/fancy" tomatoes that are beautiful in a different way. Would that be novelty? I'm feeling compelled to add more texture/variety to the overall tomato crop and am looking for pretty (and of course delicious) tomatoes to add to the garden next season.
HappyGardener23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2016   #498
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGardener23 View Post
Has there ever been a category for ruffled, fluted, or otherwise beautiful tomatoes? I think that stripes and bicolors are quite striking but I don't know what other category might represent "pretty/fancy" tomatoes that are beautiful in a different way. Would that be novelty? I'm feeling compelled to add more texture/variety to the overall tomato crop and am looking for pretty (and of course delicious) tomatoes to add to the garden next season.
If we can find ~10 of "you" (those that would like ruffled/fluted varieties) "you" can have your category.

If not, and you participate in the MMMM, put "ruffled/fluted" on your wish list. It's then up to others to see your wish and send in r/f varieties.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2016   #499
braybright

I'm enamored of ruffles. Count me interested!
Old June 30, 2016   #500
Kazedwards
Tomatovillian™

I'd be in on ruffled or just pretty/fancy tomatoes. Just all around attractive fruit category.

-Zach
Old June 30, 2016   #501
beasl004
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
'Extreme Makeover' aka 'Pimp my seeds'
Would this be the category for Hybrids?
beasl004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2016   #502
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasl004 View Post
Would this be the category for Hybrids?
Yes... or 'Frankenseeds'...
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2016   #503
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazedwards View Post
I'd be in on ruffled or just pretty/fancy tomatoes. Just all around attractive fruit category.

-Zach

Well that would be tough to narrow down given that I find all tomatoes attractive, except for the occasional badly cat faced specimen.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2016   #504
HappyGardener23
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Well that would be tough to narrow down given that I find all tomatoes attractive, except for the occasional badly cat faced specimen.
I actually have to agree with you. I also find tomatoes endlessly beautiful but I couldn't think of a better descriptor for a category of "extra fancy-looking" tomatoes that weren't necessarily fancy-looking because of their coloration like striped or bi-color/multi-colored tomatoes.
HappyGardener23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2016   #505
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

It looks like they want pleated/ruffled/ribbed/fluted/whatever-they-want-to-call-it tomatoes.

Perhaps someone can start a thread to find out about the many varieties. Here's an old one...

www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=38442
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2016   #506
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

If it were up to me, I'd call the ruffled ribbed category Tribbles. Yes, I know the Star Trek origin of the word, but I want to expand the definition, because it's so onamatopoeically perfect (in the way it suggests "tomato ruffled ribbed").
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2016   #507
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat_gardener View Post
If it were up to me, I'd call the ruffled ribbed category Tribbles. Yes, I know the Star Trek origin of the word, but I want to expand the definition, because it's so onamatopoeically perfect (in the way it suggests "tomato ruffled ribbed").

I just had to smile at this one, though it is apt.

Now, if only tomatoes would produce like the legendary tribbles....
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2016   #508
Hollylasue
Tomatovillian™

Ok so total newbie and I know this was from last year but what do you do if you want to participate but don't have enough seed? Can you just but seed to dill in whatever category?This is my first year seed saving( last year was a disaster attempt).I also doubt I have very many unusual varities.
Hollylasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2016   #509
imp
Tomatovillian™

Often some one will sponsor you- like MissS did for me last year. I would offer to sponsor you myself, but it'll be after August before I get anymore tomatoes to set here and I'd not want to promise what I may not be able to do this year.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2016   #510
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollylasue View Post
Ok so total newbie and I know this was from last year but what do you do if you want to participate but don't have enough seed? Can you just but seed to dill in whatever category?This is my first year seed saving( last year was a disaster attempt).I also doubt I have very many unusual varities.
I got you covered as a sponsor
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote