Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 2, 2013   #526
Dork Fish
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
What did you fertilize them with?
I didn't fertilize either of them.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Old April 2, 2013   #527
Dork Fish
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Growing seedlings in a soilless media is going to require fertilization. Expecting a plant to put on healthy root growth and vegetative growth without nutrients is expecting what's impossible. The seed contains all the nutrients the seedling needs from germination until true leaves form, after that the little roots are looking for food.

Off the shelf seed starting mixes and potting soils come in two forms. Straight soilless peat or coir mixes do not have any significant amounts of nutrients and will require the grower to supply fertilization. DE also fits in to this category.
Other mixes contain a small starter synthetic nutrient charge (like Fafard and Metromix which have been mentioned on this thread) with an emphasis on Nitrogen, the starter nutrients can sustain a seedling for a few weeks.
Organic mixes (like Fox Farms) contain organic nutrients sources and microbes to mineralize the nutrients into plant available forms.

Some of us have already explained our fertilization regimen in DE.
What are you other folks using, organic or synthetic? When do you start? What have you found that works or doesn't work for you?
Oh, i most have missed the fertilizing instructions...

although, i am perfectly happy with the coir seedlings. this is with no fertilizer...

Old April 2, 2013   #528
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dork Fish View Post
I didn't fertilize either of them.

That explains why your seedlings suffered in the DE.
What was the other mix you were using for seed starting? What brand of coir is it?

Last edited by RayR; April 2, 2013 at 11:50 AM.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2013   #529
Dork Fish
Tomatovillian™

burpee coir pods, they expand

Old April 2, 2013   #530
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dork Fish View Post
burpee coir pods, they expand

Well, that explains the mystery. The Burpee Coir pellets contain a starter nutrient charge. Your seedlings were getting fertilized even though you didn't do it.

Quote:
By Burpee Expert, Customer Service, May 8, 2012
The super growing pellets that you purchased are only meant for starting the seeds as they consist of a sterile natural coconut fiber and as well there are trace amounts of non-organic fertilizer added to balance PH and give a good start to young seedlings. We do not suggest that you keep the seedlings in the seed starter past the first set of true leaves as the plant will need more natural trace elements for its growth.
Old April 2, 2013   #531
JoParrott

Thanks, b54red for all your observations. It is really helpful to us who are novices with DE- so far I am totally happy with results.
Old April 3, 2013   #532
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoParrott View Post
Thanks, b54red for all your observations. It is really helpful to us who are novices with DE- so far I am totally happy with results.
I am beyond happy. You can't know how frustrating damping off had become for me. Every time I planted seed I had to plant far more than necessary or even useful to give away if most survived. I tried fans running all the time to keep the air moving and to try to keep the surface of seed starting mixes dry enough so the damping off wouldn't occur so much but with our humidity hovering around 100 % many days it was impossible. I even installed an air conditioner in my small greenhouse to help with the humidity and it helped some. I tried hydrogen peroxide, distilled water, boiled water, teas, Captan, mycorrhizae, bleach and many, many seed starting mixes. The results were dismal until I tried the DE with very low expectations only to be awed by the almost total lack of damping off. The only instances of damping off with the DE were slight in a couple of egg cartons that I left in the bottom watering tray for a couple of days by accident.

The results with certain slow or poor germinating seed like spinach, cilantro, okra and peppers were just as amazing.

Ray I wish you had this idea years ago.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2013   #533
nativeplanter
Tomatovillian™

I don't think it's been mentioned (if so, I apologize) - has anyone tried mixing Osmocote with DE prior to seeding?
nativeplanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2013   #534
SteveAustin
Tomatovillian™

I'm a small time planter compared to some of you folks but I've just planted three tomato seeds in the DE medium. All three seeds have already started to germinate before placing in the DE mix (two Rutgers and one Large Red Cherry). I have some diluted MG that I'm using to feed my other seedlings. Should I go ahead and use the MG in the DE mix before the seedlings sprout out any further?

I can't wait to see how this turns out!
SteveAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2013   #535
Levent
Tomatovillian™

Parsley in windowsill

One of my culinary fun projects.
If you have a clear party cup,some diatomite and fert you can grow up parsley indoors
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (283.3 KB, 122 views)
Levent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2013   #536
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeplanter View Post
I don't think it's been mentioned (if so, I apologize) - has anyone tried mixing Osmocote with DE prior to seeding?
I don't think anyone mentioned using a time release granular for seed starting. Never done that myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAustin View Post
I'm a small time planter compared to some of you folks but I've just planted three tomato seeds in the DE medium. All three seeds have already started to germinate before placing in the DE mix (two Rutgers and one Large Red Cherry). I have some diluted MG that I'm using to feed my other seedlings. Should I go ahead and use the MG in the DE mix before the seedlings sprout out any further?

I can't wait to see how this turns out!
I wouldn't take the chance myself, a little too much MG and you could burn the young radicle.
Old April 5, 2013   #537
SteveAustin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I wouldn't take the chance myself, a little too much MG and you could burn the young radicle.
Thanks Ray! I'll wait until the cotyledon or permanent leaves form.
SteveAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2013   #538
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Here is our results comparison using DE vs Potting Soil to grow tomatoes. Compared 6 Tomato varieties side by side. Plants don't show that much of a difference but the root development you can see a big difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4Z29YMcqpo
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2013   #539
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Interesting results Delerium. Tomato seedlings grown from seed and not transplanted will develop a tap root system, but if they are transplanted once or more they will develop a adventitious root system. The DE seedlings potted up in DE developed a even more fibrous root system than in potting soil.
Last year I didn't pot up the seedlings in DE like you did, but even the seedlings grown in DE before potting up developed a fibrous root system.
Old April 10, 2013   #540
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Ray did you see some of the DE grafts.. They are looking really good so far for Day 3. I am trying something that the grafters on this forum hasn't tried which is to use a cutting with no roots then graft something on to it. I had great success easily rooting tomato cuttings using DE almost with no wilt and hoping that the grafting process will be easier with the lack of water stress while maintaining high humidity during the initial healing process.
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote