Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 9, 2015   #541
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Great picture. Funny Funny
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2015   #542
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Adorable!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2015   #543
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I am so relieved to finally be mailing my approximately 54,000 Datil pepper seeds to Baker Creek. Between record rain, record heat, a month with no rain and then more record rain this has been the hardest year yet to meet their seed request. I don't even want to look at another Datil pepper but now that I don't need peppers the plants are pumping them out like crazy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151109_154410.jpg (37.6 KB, 62 views)
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2015   #544
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Wow Kay, that is just incredible! I cant even imagine. How many plants did you have?

And how do you count that. Is it by weight?

Whew!

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2015   #545
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I loved that pic; nothing like starting them young.

With this HOT Weather, several of my tomatoes will be ready to eat THIS week. Cole (2 are already orange and don't feel like rocks, one GG, and I picked /ate a yellow one ???? today. I have no idea what it was; but it bloomed early and easy on a RUNT plant. The only yellow I planted was Taxi and I have one plant and gave one away.

Kay - That's a LOT of seeds. Could you start next years collection with the new peppers?

Kay - How large did your GG plants get? UF is corresponding with me now on FB and said they are semi-determinate and should be 6' tall in a 3 gallon container (good to know that a small container can be used). Mine are < 3' (which is OK with me, preferably to 6') but really look DONE.

I am also growing Taxi (a determinate) and it is still growing and producing flowers / tomatoes.

My love affair with GG may be over even before I taste a tomato.

Buzzing - I'm going to do it more than once a day too. Ginny's continual results are not by chance. For me some plants respond really well to it; or maybe the flowers have the right amount of open.

Ginny - do you buzz all tomato plants (even ones that set easy like SunGold)?
Can you imagine Idii if most of those flowers set fruit? It would be a sight to see.

NEED help with BER - So I had it in 2 Whopper (F1) plants but they are fine now; but I am having it STILL in Vorlon even though I have done the Calcium Nitrate twice. I have picked off over 6 tomatoes even small ones had it.

Should I feed it CN more often until I don't get BER anymore? doing 1 teaspoon as recommended.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2015   #546
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

This year I only had 45 plants because they said they wanted 7 ounces when we talked. When I got my contract they wanted 12 ounces. If I had known that I would have planted 60 and been done earlier. I know that for the size seed the Datil has there are about 4500 seeds per ounce.
Old November 9, 2015   #547
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
This year I only had 45 plants because they said they wanted 7 ounces when we talked. When I got my contract they wanted 12 ounces. If I had known that I would have planted 60 and been done earlier. I know that for the size seed the Datil has there are about 4500 seeds per ounce.
Yowza! That is so cool. I know you are sick of pepper plants and I surely don't blame you. How many Rocoto plants did you plant? If I had room for 45 pepper plants I would plant about 20 different types... lol. Not to save seeds though, just to find my favorites in one season!

You go girl. That is really impressive.

Ginny
Old November 9, 2015   #548
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
I loved that pic; nothing like starting them young.

With this HOT Weather, several of my tomatoes will be ready to eat THIS week. Cole (2 are already orange and don't feel like rocks, one GG, and I picked /ate a yellow one ???? today. I have no idea what it was; but it bloomed early and easy on a RUNT plant. The only yellow I planted was Taxi and I have one plant and gave one away.

Kay - That's a LOT of seeds. Could you start next years collection with the new peppers?

Kay - How large did your GG plants get? UF is corresponding with me now on FB and said they are semi-determinate and should be 6' tall in a 3 gallon container (good to know that a small container can be used). Mine are < 3' (which is OK with me, preferably to 6') but really look DONE.

I am also growing Taxi (a determinate) and it is still growing and producing flowers / tomatoes.

My love affair with GG may be over even before I taste a tomato.

Buzzing - I'm going to do it more than once a day too. Ginny's continual results are not by chance. For me some plants respond really well to it; or maybe the flowers have the right amount of open.

Ginny - do you buzz all tomato plants (even ones that set easy like SunGold)?
Can you imagine Idii if most of those flowers set fruit? It would be a sight to see.

NEED help with BER - So I had it in 2 Whopper (F1) plants but they are fine now; but I am having it STILL in Vorlon even though I have done the Calcium Nitrate twice. I have picked off over 6 tomatoes even small ones had it.

Should I feed it CN more often until I don't get BER anymore? doing 1 teaspoon as recommended.
Barb, I buzz everything but it's not really necessary on the cherry types from what I can tell. But I still do it anyways... :-)

Ginny
Old November 9, 2015   #549
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Barb what is wrong with GG?

Ginny
Old November 10, 2015   #550
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

That bag of seeds is amazing. 54,000 !!. It can make roughly 3500 packet.
I am also a hot pepper enthusiast. This year I had close to a dozen varieties, the hotest was Trinidad Scorpion Butch, followed by Fatalii , Chocolate Habanero ... on down to Aleppo.
Next year I will stop growing then, cause I have enough for several years.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2015   #551
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Gardeneer how do you save them?

Ginny
Old November 10, 2015   #552
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Barb, I save my stock seeds at the begging of the season. I pick the peppers that are the best and reserve those seeds for the next season.

The Garden Gem only got about 4 ft. One of the tomatoes I picked sat on the counter for 3 weeks and did not deteriorate at all. That is kind of scary.

Right now I have 7 Rocoto plants to overwinter but I am going to start more as an experiment. Since the seeds are so hard to germinate I am going to do a test of 3 different ways to treat the seeds. One batch will be soaked overnight in water, one overnight in buttermilk and one will have the seed coating slightly nicked with a file. I have no idea if any of this will work but I have plenty of seeds to play with.

If you watch the Vegibee video it shows you to only buzz flowers that are open and have the outer petals folded back. Those are the only ones I buzz. I have never been so happy to wrong about a product. I have gone from thinking it was silly gimmick to wondering why it took me so long to get one.
Old November 10, 2015   #553
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Kay- I can't get over that package of seeds! I think of all the work it took to get to that point. Goodness gracious!

Ginny- i buzzed 3 times yesterday. With over 100 plants it becomes quite a chore! The results will be worth it though. Already I see lots of fruitset, really lots, and that is astonishing in this heat. Cool front this weekend, yay!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2015   #554
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Gardeneer how do you save them?

Ginny
I just cut the pods open, scrape the seeds onto paper towel and let it air dry. Saving pepper seeds is much easier than tomato seeds, as they don't need washing or fermenting. You can dry whole pods , if it is thin skinned. The meaty/juicy ones the seeds need to be taken out. Example Habanero, Rocote, Manzano, Jalapeno.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2015   #555
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Thats cool but i actually meant to ask what do you do with that many peppers and how do you save them... canning, pickleling, freezing?

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk