Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 3, 2017   #556
SarahBeth
Tomatovillian™

greenthumbomaha-thanks!
SarahBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2017   #557
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
I bought a YardSmith from Lowe's too, and liked it so much I went back and bought two more to add to my garden stuff. I don't want to be without one. I like that I don't have to bend to water with it.
Amen !
I like it , mostly it deliver water where I want to and how much, without wasting water and getting the foliage wet. I think one time I measured and it delivers about 2 gallons per minute. So 30 seconds is enough per plant. I let the rain soak the whole garden.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2017   #558
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Hmm, how to setup a hand held ortho sprayer with TTF in it to the water wand so I can water the plants without bending over? You know, dial it in to 1 tbsp per gallon?

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; June 3, 2017 at 04:31 PM.
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2017   #559
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Hmm, how to setup a hand held ortho sprayer with TTF in it to the water wand so I can water the plants without bending over? You know, dial it in to 1 tbsp per gallon?
If it is one that has a hose bib end on it like the Dramm just put it on the end and lock the trigger.
Then use the wand on and off to run the thing.
I do it all of the time.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2017   #560
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
If it is one that has a hose bib end on it like the Dramm just put it on the end and lock the trigger.
Then use the wand on and off to run the thing.
I do it all of the time.
I knew I could count on you to chime in Worth. I thought that is how I could set it up but I didn't think about locking the trigger. Perfect then, that's how I will feed the plants tomorrow.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old June 3, 2017   #561
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I knew I could count on you to chime in Worth. I thought that is how I could set it up but I didn't think about locking the trigger. Perfect then, that's how I will feed the plants tomorrow.

Before feeding with TTF and a hose end sprayer make sure to shake it very well and then strain it into the hose end sprayer with a fine mesh small kitchen strainer. Also remember to shake it vigorously from time to time to keep it form settling and clogging the filter. I don't thin it as the instructions say since I would have to refill it too often with the number of plants I feed at one time. Any left over at the end of spraying I just pour back in the original jug. Also remember after you are through to flush the hose end sprayer with fresh clean water with it set on whatever settings you used to avoid a buildup and eventual clogging of the sprayer. I found this out the hard way.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2017   #562
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Before feeding with TTF and a hose end sprayer make sure to shake it very well and then strain it into the hose end sprayer with a fine mesh small kitchen strainer. Also remember to shake it vigorously from time to time to keep it form settling and clogging the filter. I don't thin it as the instructions say since I would have to refill it too often with the number of plants I feed at one time. Any left over at the end of spraying I just pour back in the original jug. Also remember after you are through to flush the hose end sprayer with fresh clean water with it set on whatever settings you used to avoid a buildup and eventual clogging of the sprayer. I found this out the hard way.

Bill
Thanks Bill, knew I could count on you too!

~Margaret Atwood~

Old June 3, 2017   #563
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Well I have been buying it by the case of 4 the last few years and am already starting on my second case this season. I am amazed at the production I am getting using the Vegetable formula on my cucumbers, squash, and peppers so far this season and was blown away with what it did for my fall and winter crops like broccoli, Brussel's sprouts, onions, lettuce, spinach, carrots, and greens.

I have been a huge fan of TTF for tomatoes since the week after I first fed my tomatoes with it several years ago. It is now a rare occurrence when I have less than stellar fruit set on my first plantings and I even get good fruit set on my tomatoes that I grow for production in the late summer heat. I have plants nearly ready to pot up and harden off for planting in mid June which is not the best time of the year for setting out tomatoes. I also have seedlings just started for set out in July or early August. If the spider mites, pests and foliage diseases are only moderately awful I should get a decent crop from all those beds and they will all be feed a regular meal of TTF every week to 10 days.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2017   #564
POAJoan
Tomatovillian™

Just read the entire thread and I am impressed. I was getting very excited about using this, but was extremely disappointed when I found out that shipping a case to me would cost an extra $52.00. I can order it from Amazon for the $39.00 including shipping. So it ends up being 6 of 1 and ½ dozen of another! I'm going to order it anyway.

Last edited by POAJoan; June 7, 2017 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Typo
POAJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2017   #565
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

I was trying to order from their website.
Estimated shipping cost for UPS, it was about $61 for shipping for 4 gallons, but no charge for USPS, to WA.
Is this correct? Free shipping through USPS?
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2017   #566
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Just noticed this on their site:

"4.0-2.9-6.7 Save!! Buy by the case! Four gallons of Urban Farm Texas Tomato Food. Makes 1000 gallons of working strength nutrient!

Shipping not included. If your order is for 3 or more 4-packs the UPS Real Time calculator won't calculate shipping. In that case, place your order and we will contact you with discounted shipping".
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2017   #567
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

It would be cheaper for me to drive there and pick it up.

Worth
Old June 7, 2017   #568
Frank D
Tomatovillian™

I got my 2 quarts with free USPS shipping. I just need to order more next time to get a better deal on the product.
Frank D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2017   #569
Hoosier
Tomatovillian™

I looked at getting some from Amazon last year but the shipping was as much or more than the product so I passed. If they would just double the price and offered free shipping I would be all over it.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2017   #570
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I used to live were he is at for crying out loud.
Now I am 160 miles away.
If I went I would pick up shrimp too.
Worth